A question about Avg GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jack208

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
From AAMC's website, I can find out the avg GPAs and avg MCAT of the applicants and matriculants.

My question is: Since different college has different grade standard, some more strict than the others. So when Med schools review applicant's GPA, is there any adjustments depending on what college the applicant is in, or they use the GPA cutoff line, regardless which college the applicant is in?

Is there a site where I can fine the avg GPA of the applicants and matriculants from a particular undergraduate college?

Members don't see this ad.

Stats are stats to med schools. There is an advantage in picking a less competitive school for undergrad.

Reactions: 1 users
100% concur with my young colleague. In our discussions in the Adcom, no one ever says "that 3.9 is really inflated....X State U is a party school". To us, a 3.9 from Kutztown State is a 3.9.

The MCAT is the great leveler among med school hopefuls.

Stats are stats to med schools. There is an advantage in picking a less competitive school for undergrad.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As Goro stated... The MCAT is the great leveler.

If you get a 3.5 and 42 MCAT, it can be implicitly read that your school does grade deflation or you don't try hard enough (or were an engineering major). If you get a 3.9 and 22 MCAT, it can be implicitly read that your school grade inflates or you took easy classes.

So is it better to have a high MCAT and an average gpa than visa versa?

Do you realize that an actual adcom member already commented on this thread, saying the opposite?

I'm not sure what's been said is entirely true. I think it is true fro the MOST part, but when my sister was applying to top business schools (Harvard, Stanford, Penn, Columbia, etc.), some of the schools actually commented on the difficulty of our undergrad school (which is notorious for bringing in 95% avg students and deflating class averages to a steady 65-70 for most classes).

Edit: I know this is business, but I find it hard to believe that Adcoms don't realize this to some degree.

Reactions: 1 user
From AAMC's website, I can find out the avg GPAs and avg MCAT of the applicants and matriculants.

My question is: Since different college has different grade standard, some more strict than the others. So when Med schools review applicant's GPA, is there any adjustments depending on what college the applicant is in, or they use the GPA cutoff line, regardless which college the applicant is in?

Is there a site where I can fine the avg GPA of the applicants and matriculants from a particular undergraduate college?
Why could you not have just used the search function?

No, there's no site like that.

AMCAS will publish and distribute our aggregate data without regard to the presumed "difficulty factor" of the schools attended by students we accepted. If you are asking whether, at the margin, a small allowance for a challenging major at a challenging school might come into play for an otherwise excellent candidate, well, yes, sometimes.

I'm not sure what's been said is entirely true. I think it is true for the MOST part, but when my sister was applying to top business schools (Harvard, Stanford, Penn, Columbia, etc.), some of the adcoms commented on the difficulty of our undergrad school (which is notorious for bringing in 95% avg students and deflating class averages to a steady 65-70 for most classes).

Edit: I know this is business, but I find it hard to believe that Adcoms don't realize this to some degree.

Top business and law school admissions priorities are fundamentally different than medical school admissions.

Why could you not have just used the search function?

No, there's no site like that.

Of course I searched, I did not find one. I just asked in case there is one and I missed..