A question about the Direct ophthalmoscope

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RHAM

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm reading a book about it for my exam tomorrow, it mentioned that ( the resulting limitation of field of view is approximately 5°)

Does it mean that 5degree is the least angle or it's just limited to 5°, I didn't get it because in the clinical procedures he mentioned that the clinician is positioned about 15° lateral to the patient to view the optic disc

Please explain that line to me

Members don't see this ad.

The fovea and ONH are about 15 degrees apart-so in order to see the disc directly you would want to angle yourself slightly temporally in respect to the patient to see their nerve. The 5 degrees is in terms if the field of view of the DO. It's not a very large view when the pt is undilated. For reference, a standard retinal camera gives about 45 degrees of view.

Reactions: 1 user
The fovea and ONH are about 15 degrees apart-so in order to see the disc directly you would want to angle yourself slightly temporally in respect to the patient to see their nerve. The 5 degrees is in terms if the field of view of the DO. It's not a very large view when the pt is undilated. For reference, a standard retinal camera gives about 45 degrees of view.

Thank you