A question for gym-going vet students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ifalloverstuff

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering when you all find time for the gym. I'm a pretty avid gym goer. I usually do 4 days of crossfit and 3 days of strength training. When do you find time to fit in a workout when you have class 8-5 and a full night of studying every night? Besides studying it is really my only priority, and I know I will make time, but should I just expect to reduce the number of days I can go? I'm specifically asking about first year (I will be starting next month), but any advice you all have would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

If you study all evening, every evening you're doing it wrong.

You can also go in the morning before class if you're an early bird.

Really, just depends how you are with studying as some people need a lot more study time than others to get by. Something you'll have to figure out for yourself, just be ready to accept that hitting the gym seven days a week may or may not be doable.

You have free time in vet school, just less, so you have to prioritize what you want to do with it the most.

Last edited:
I'm the same way! I go to Crossfit and oly class 5 days a week. I know I'll make time for it. I'm more worried about how I'm going to pay for it with no job and living off loans. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
There are lots of student in my class at Mizzou that continue to work out... They go before class in the am or after class at night before sitting down to study... You will also have a couple days a week where you have a break between classes, sometimes 1.5hr break which people also used to go to the gym on the main campus which is within walking distance... I'd say that on "hell weeks" you will probably have to cut back a day or two unless your a genius and don't need much time to study.. But during weeks with a low test load, you should be able to find time to go to the gym..

I will say that I have heard some avid gym goers talk about how it's difficult to have a set gym routine bc every week is different as far as exams go.. One week you will have exams on a tues/ thurs, other times it's mon/ fri.. And any other combo possible.. And hell weeks it's might be 4/5 days of the week.. So you definitely have to be flexible!

I'm also a CrossFitter and I'll be honest, I have to stop it when I'm in school. I go as often as my work schedule allows me in the summer, but I can't afford $150/month for 3x (typical rate for the Philly affiliates) a week on student loans. Also, it takes up too much of my time. Each of the gyms in Philly is 3 miles from West Philly and since I don't have a bike or car, getting there isn't easy. Public transportation takes at least a half hour each way (well the bus...) and I don't have the time to run/walk both ways. If a Groupon deal ever seems to work out with my schedule, I might try it out then .

That being said, I try to keep up with the gym at the school, but I've had a very difficult time of making a set schedule. First year of vet school, I went from being in awesome shape (CrossFit 4-5+x/wk) to like nothing because I couldn't stay on top of things. Second year was a lot better and I made more time for the gym. I frequently went during my 1 hour lunch because it's less crowded and I don't have to kill someone for the deadlifting area and because it forces me to do a quick, fast workout. I just take WODs from various box websites', CrossFit HQ or a WOD app. I cut back near during finals and midterms and try to get back on a schedule once I'm through those hell periods. I also don't like to stay late anymore to go to the gym because it's super packed with undergrad students and I now have a dog, so I don't like to leave him alone all day. And early morning workouts don't typically work for me because I'm super uncoordinated, so I'd probably do more harm than good.

Glad to hear there is some hope. I just got done with a job working 75 hours a week and I made time for it, so I know the drive is there. Good news is I saved up some from all that work to pay for a year up front

This semester has been really rough as far as finding time to work out. My first two semesters of vet school I had time to train for a half marathon, but this one was not the case at all. It really will fluctuate from semester to semester depending on how late you are in classes, how early you have to be awake, if you have any exams coming up, etc. Our gym here is always hopping so I know lots of people find the time. I'm not familiar with cross fit so I'm not sure how long those workouts last but as long as you find a good balance between school and extracurricular activities I think you'll be fine. I definitely second the recommendation of taking advantage of breaks throughout the day. I need my lunch break to eat and relax for a bit but I know people that do it during lunch. Often times there are one or two days a week where I have 3-4 hour breaks in the middle of the day and I don't want to drive all the way home so I'll work out and bring all my shower stuff. No one will think it's odd, especially the other people who like to work out. You do what you have to do :)

This semester has been really rough as far as finding time to work out. My first two semesters of vet school I had time to train for a half marathon, but this one was not the case at all. It really will fluctuate from semester to semester depending on how late you are in classes, how early you have to be awake, if you have any exams coming up, etc. Our gym here is always hopping so I know lots of people find the time. I'm not familiar with cross fit so I'm not sure how long those workouts last but as long as you find a good balance between school and extracurricular activities I think you'll be fine. I definitely second the recommendation of taking advantage of breaks throughout the day. I need my lunch break to eat and relax for a bit but I know people that do it during lunch. Often times there are one or two days a week where I have 3-4 hour breaks in the middle of the day and I don't want to drive all the way home so I'll work out and bring all my shower stuff. No one will think it's odd, especially the other people who like to work out. You do what you have to do :)

You're so nice in that you shower. I just make people deal with it.

You're so nice in that you shower. I just make people deal with it.
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't...depends on if I had time to pack a shower bag before class :p

Well, the easy answer is that if there's a gym on campus, you can definitely go during your lunch hour if before or after class isn't your thing. That's what I did around exam time. Otherwise, I really didn't find it an issue to still hit the gym 3-4 x per week and also play multiple sports. But truth be told, I prioritize my fitness a bit more than most others I know because it keeps me sane. I know if I spend all day every day studying, I'm not helping myself in the long run. Plus, knowing I have to hit the gym allows me to study more effectively because I don't let myself take other useless/poor excuses for breaks.

Woo hoo Crossfitter here as well too!!!! I do 6 days a week with 3 additional strength days. I still have another year to enjoy it before vet school since I got waitlisted this year! I'm in So Cal now, most affiliates here are 150, for unlimited. Mine is awesome and gives me student discount of 85!
Anyways I'm hoping to figure out how to keep up my training when I get to vet school, because well I have too. Hahaha! Hey Julie Foucher somehow managed it during med school so there's hope!! :)

Reactions: 1 user
you have class 8-5 and a full night of studying every night

:laugh: Bahahah no. You will not be studying every night. That is one prior expectation of your vet school life that will fade mighty quickly. Especially if you have class 8-5 everyday.

You may have to cut back on the amount of time you spend at the gym per week, but you an definitely still do some of it. If you're that active right now, you may need to start practicing sitting for extended periods of time, otherwise getting through that first week of sitting all day will be brutal. I'm only mildly kidding.

There was a period of several months this year when I stopped working out because I felt like I didn't have enough time. I was depressed and stressed to the max. Well, in my infinite wisdom I thought the time I didn't spend at the gym would allow me to study more. Nuuuuuuuupe. Cue self-perpetuating stress-and-not-being-able-to-focus cycle.

My grades shot up when I started training for a half marathon and going back to crossfit. You make the time to exercise, and it gives right back--that is, the energy and good feels you need to push on with your day. Get after it!

Woo hoo Crossfitter here as well too!!!! I do 6 days a week with 3 additional strength days. I still have another year to enjoy it before vet school since I got waitlisted this year! I'm in So Cal now, most affiliates here are 150, for unlimited. Mine is awesome and gives me student discount of 85!
Anyways I'm hoping to figure out how to keep up my training when I get to vet school, because well I have too. Hahaha! Hey Julie Foucher somehow managed it during med school so there's hope!! :)

Ugh. I wish I could get that rate. $85 I could justify. I don't know why the Philly gyms do like $150 for 3x a week. I've asked about student discounts and it's usually not much. The one gym I can get cheaper raters depending on what time of day I'd like to come to, but the majority of my sessions would then have to be during that time. I think Lunch time was the cheapest, but then I'd have to skip class/leave early to get there in time. And this semester we're starting Junior Surgery, so that's not likely to happen.

Ugh. I wish I could get that rate. $85 I could justify. I don't know why the Philly gyms do like $150 for 3x a week. I've asked about student discounts and it's usually not much. The one gym I can get cheaper raters depending on what time of day I'd like to come to, but the majority of my sessions would then have to be during that time. I think Lunch time was the cheapest, but then I'd have to skip class/leave early to get there in time. And this semester we're starting Junior Surgery, so that's not likely to happen.
That is an outrageous price. My current box has student pricing for $54 a month unlimited. It's more like $100 a month where I'm moving and I thought that was expensive.

That is an outrageous price. My current box has student pricing for $54 a month unlimited. It's more like $100 a month where I'm moving and I thought that was expensive.
Whatttt? $54 a month for unlimited Crossfit??? I am so jealous! I hope they have student discount where I'm moving! I paid $115 and that's with a "friend of family" discount.

Eww the gym.... I go riding instead. =)

Welcome to Philly. Although I pay a a similar price for the one in my hometown but it's at least unlimited/month and they do have a student discount. And some do unlimited for that price, but I still can't really justify it when the school gym is $325 for the whole year.

Not quite a gym workout but my question is for those of you with horses in vet school who are used to riding daily/mostly every day, how/where do you find the time & money to have a horse during vet school? is it possible?

I crossfitted and oly lifted through 3rd and 4th year and it kept me sane. I've had to cut back in internship but I'm still managing about 3 times a week squatting and mediocre oly lifting and mediocre crossfitting. Still cheaper than a therapist.

SV88, I have been a horse girl my whole life and brought my horse to vet school with me. I still manage to ride most days, work at the barn one day a week, and ride a coupe of my friends' horses. I also have a friend who rides my horse when I'm out of town on externships and such. It is absolutely doable, you just have to prioritize it the way other people prioritize other things. I still manage to go out with friends and find plenty of time to study, but I scrimp and save on certain things and go ride my horse instead of taking an afternoon nap or whatever. I teach lessons periodically when I have time to make some extra money, and working at the barn helps significantly with my board.

It's all about sanity. If I start to get too cranky, my friends will ask me if I rode yet that week and coerce me to go to the barn, even if I'm worried about studying for something. There are plenty of people who still find time to compete with their horses as well - I don't simply because my horse tries to die on a regular basis and is half-way to retired these days. Just like the people who go to the gym regularly for their sanity, or who have other hobbies; you HAVE to keep yourself from going completely nuts, which is what happens if you study non-stop!