A question for Neurology PDs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DYT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am an international medical student. After reviewing the whole list of all medical schools that should be able to provide a Neurology elective for international students, I have really gone nowhere.

Due to the shortage of Neurologists, almost all US schools stopped accepting international students for Neurology electives. Cornell and Mount Sinai among many others.

I am very passionate about the field, particularly Neuroimmunology and research in MS. Anything that is Neuro-related is interesting to me, and I wouldn't see myself anywhere else. I could spend countless hours examining research on new MS drugs, or even out of the blue possible treatments like CCSVI!

My question is if I were to go for a Neurosurgery elective, would it help me as an international student aiming for Neuro? Or I'd be better off going for an elective in a medical field, like Pulmonology? Which would be better in the eyes of a Neuro PD? Would going for a surgical elective signal conflicting interests? Or is Neurosurgery close enough?

I know I'm probably putting too much thinking into it, it is just an elective but I feel that clinical experience in the US is vital. I am also very passionate, and would like to build a career in Neuroimmunology research.

Thank you. I truly appreciate the guidance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I feel for you OP. My school does not have any affiliated neurology rotations except for one that is off limits to 3rd years… and my first chance at a 4th year elective is way too late to allow myself to be competitive for neurology. So, I'm finding myself in a bit of a bind. Looking for programs that will take a late 3rd year student (which will be a year from now)… so far, no dice.

Anyhow, I'll let the pros offer you advice. Keep hunting!

I feel for you OP. My school does not have any affiliated neurology rotations except for one that is off limits to 3rd years… and my first chance at a 4th year elective is way too late to allow myself to be competitive for neurology. So, I'm finding myself in a bit of a bind. Looking for programs that will take a late 3rd year student (which will be a year from now)… so far, no dice.

Anyhow, I'll let the pros offer you advice. Keep hunting!

I am confused. I thought neurology is relatively uncompetitive except at the top institutions. Couldn't one do some shadowing during 3rd year, do a formal sub-I/away rotation in neuro via VSAS at the very beginning of fourth and be fine to apply by September of your 4th year? I've seen people apply successfully with 1 neuro LOR mixed with internal med LOR's etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am confused. I thought neurology is relatively uncompetitive except at the top institutions. Couldn't one do some shadowing during 3rd year, do a formal sub-I/away rotation in neuro via VSAS at the very beginning of fourth and be fine to apply by September of your 4th year? I've seen people apply successfully with 1 neuro LOR mixed with internal med LOR's etc.
Yeah but that's assuming elective time is available at the beginning of 4th yr, and it's not for me. My first chance won't be until well into interview season. Plus my school only allows 2 electives 4th yr, both of mine being towards the end. The rest of the rotations have to be an affiliates.

I think you are misinterpreting your schools rules. I've never heard of a school putting that kind of restriction on schedules.

I'm not an IMG but I met a few on the trail this year. Neurosurgery electives are a meh... They went really help because they aren't in your field and they make you look like nsg is what you would really like to be going into. Go with medicine or do neuro at less competitive school.

Yeah but that's assuming elective time is available at the beginning of 4th yr, and it's not for me. My first chance won't be until well into interview season. Plus my school only allows 2 electives 4th yr, both of mine being towards the end. The rest of the rotations have to be an affiliates.

I think you are misinterpreting your schools rules. I've never heard of a school putting that kind of restriction on schedules.

I'm not an IMG but I met a few on the trail this year. Neurosurgery electives are a meh... They went really help because they aren't in your field and they make you look like nsg is what you would really like to be going into. Go with medicine or do neuro at less competitive school.

I wish I was misinterpreting them. Unfortunately I'm not. We have medical and surgery selectives at our school for 4th year, allowing exploration of subspecialties but they all must be at affiliates. Only the two electives allow time outside of the network.

I wouldn't worry about people reading into your career interests as long as you are comfortable and genuine in describing them.

Neurosurgery is helpful nonetheless--you'll learn a lot of relevant anatomy, work in the ICU, and learn some of what happens on the other side of the consults you will be calling. As for medicine specialties, neurology is a medicine subspecialty, and there's a lot of cross-fertilization. I think they'd both be helpful in preparing you. In your shoes, I'd do a neurosurgery or rheumatology (lots of immunology) elective to beef up distinct aspects of my exposure.