A rose by any other name: BCPM courses without BIOL, CHEM, PHSX, or MATH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

connerm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am enrolling in an inforomal post-bacc to boost my undergraduate GPA over the next couple of years and wanted to know the answer to a question before I put my schedule together:

When the BCPM grade is calculated we log all the classes with a BIOL, PHSX, CHEM, or MATH in front of the course number. If I were to take a human anatomy/physiology course with KINS (kinesiology) in front of the name, would this be able to count as part of that GPA or would it be considered a non-science course?

I ask because in order to enroll full time at my state institution I have had to declare a major within the college of health professions and this course is readily avaiable.

Members don't see this ad.

Any class with BCPM content is a science course. It has nothing to do with the course prefix or its name (although the name is generally related to the content). Anatomy/physiology is biology, so it is a BCPM course.

There is a list somewhere (perhaps in the AMCAS instructions or in one of the stickies in this forum) of how different classes are categorized within BCPM. If it's on that list, you know it's BCPM. Good job on the title.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sometimes the categories are a bit arbitrary as well. An Infectious disease module in pharmacy school counts as BCPM according to AMCAS but cardio and Neuro don't.

Hey everyone, thanks for the responses.

I wrote AMCAS with the question and gave a canned response that was basically a restatement of the question. I will have to speak with the pre-med adviser at my program for specific courses, I think, but A & P should be okay.