A school's average matriculating MCAT score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idkididk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When a school post their average MCAT for matriculating students, is it an average composite score or the sum of average subsection scores? I ask because my score on my retake is fine (34) but I have a 9 on verbal (14PS 11BS). I talked with my pre-med advisor and she said that if I think I can raise my verbal by 1-2 pts while maintaining PS and BS scores then I should consider retaking. I'm 99.99% sure I'm not gonna retake, but I'm worried about that 9. English was not my first language, and despite a summer of studying, my verbal only improved by 1 pt since my first exam :\

Members don't see this ad.

On the MSAR, don't they list the average total MCAT and average on each subsection?

Yeah I wouldn't retake unless you are aiming for a top program. Especially since you're ESL.

That being said. How is the rest of your application? If it's strong otherwise then definitely don't worry about it. How's your GPA?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
On the MSAR, don't they list the average total MCAT and average on each subsection?
I have not looked at the MSAR yet. Will do that now

Yeah I wouldn't retake unless you are aiming for a top program. Especially since you're ESL.

That being said. How is the rest of your application? If it's strong otherwise then definitely don't worry about it. How's your GPA?
GPA is ok. Senior right now planning a gap year. By the time I apply hopefully it'll be in the low 3.6 range, with sGPA maybe 3.5.

I think it depends how low medical schools are willing to take. A lot of medical school and being a physician relies on non-science/non-knowledge abilities -- communication verbal skills. So if OP is scoring low on Verbal it's a red flag with regards to medical school when your only method of evaluation will not be multiple choice exams.

If the rest if your app is strong it won't be a problem. People on my interviews seemed to be more concerned with the total but I would imagine every school is different. FYI, I had an 8 in verbal (14BS/13PS) and did fine. Goro and other adcoms told me from the start that it wouldn't be lethal. Even though I was averaging 11/12 on AAMC verbal I decided against retaking because I couldn't guarantee the same science scores again.

When a school post their average MCAT for matriculating students, is it an average composite score or the sum of average subsection scores? I ask because my score on my retake is fine (34) but I have a 9 on verbal (14PS 11BS). I talked with my pre-med advisor and she said that if I think I can raise my verbal by 1-2 pts while maintaining PS and BS scores then I should consider retaking. I'm 99.99% sure I'm not gonna retake, but I'm worried about that 9. English was not my first language, and despite a summer of studying, my verbal only improved by 1 pt since my first exam :\

When a school post their average MCAT for matriculating students, is it an average composite score or the sum of average subsection scores?

The two are by definition the same. Doesn't matter though, you want to be looking at the medians, not means. Means are dragged down by the few people in every school who got in with low-20s MCAT scores.

I ask because my score on my retake is fine (34) but I have a 9 on verbal (14PS 11BS). I talked with my pre-med advisor and she said that if I think I can raise my verbal by 1-2 pts while maintaining PS and BS scores then I should consider retaking. I'm 99.99% sure I'm not gonna retake, but I'm worried about that 9. English was not my first language, and despite a summer of studying, my verbal only improved by 1 pt since my first exam :\

That 34 is great, but I might worry a little bit about being strongly unbalanced toward the least important section on the MCAT (PS).

@LizzyM has said before that the total MCAT score is most indicative of success in med school, as opposed to a score in any one section or the sum of two scores in two sections.

Reactions: 1 users
You don't need to re-take. With a GPA of 3.5/3.6 you'll be fine for many schools, but unfortunately, the top 20 or so is probably out of the picture numbers-wise. MCAT is solid and will definitely help you get into many places. I also got sub-10 in verbal, and my advisor told me that they do take into account that you're ESL (I am as well technically), how well you did in the English courses/Upper-level writing classes at your University, and how well you relay yourself on your essays. MCAT verbal score is just one section, and your ability to communicate efficiently and understand/analyze materials comfortably can also be assessed via other factors. A 34 is top 10%...good job on that score!

It seems like the general consensus is to not retake. Since there is nothing that I can do about that 9, I won't dwell on it anymore and focus on the rest of my app. Thanks everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
It seems like the general consensus is to not retake.
10ce11.jpg

Why is the a top-20 school out the question for him?

Why is the a top-20 school out the question for him?

GPA that is below or very close to the 10th percentile of matriculated students, verbal score that is in the same category. Without blow-an-adcom-out-of-the-water ECs, there's no way OP can get into the top 20 schools. OP can get still into some other very good schools, though.

Oh, okay. Thanks for the reply. I knew his GPA might come into question, but his mcat, as a whole, seemed pretty good. I guess I had undervalued the importance of a balanced score.

This reminds me of reviewing an application after interview and having another reviewer ask, "who retakes a 34?" My response was, "someone who wants to interview here." However, that applicant was closer to 3.8 than 3.6 and with a retake >37 the application was competitive.

Reactions: 1 users
This reminds me of reviewing an application after interview and having another reviewer ask, "who retakes a 34?" My response was, "someone who wants to interview here." However, that applicant was closer to 3.8 than 3.6 and with a retake >37 the application was competitive.

So you would recommend a student who wants to go to a top 20 school and got a 34 to retake the MCAT, provided they are competitive otherwise?

I have the exact same breakdown and have had no trouble at all. I didn't apply to many top 20 but I do have one at at a top 30. I honestly wouldn't retake.

My school doesn't interview many applicants with MCAT <35 but it is very risky (ballsy) to retake. There are plenty of schools that are not as obsessed with numbers.