A Surgeon Calls off the Dogs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Birdstrike

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
"...heavy-breathing relentless destroyer of plans"

"stealer of sleep"

"wielder of a fearsome disrupter ray"

"Klingons"

Simply awesome. Did you know that you had such "supervillan" powers?

I just read an interesting blog by a retired surgeon about his reaction to the ER,

"Every ring of the phone at home became a gut-shot; the emergency room was like a stalker, a heavy-breathing relentless destroyer of plans, a stealer of sleep, a wielder of a fearsome disrupter ray. Klingons, the lot of ‘em."

He goes on to explain that the attitude was largely due to his own demons and self imposed stresses. He then, implies being regretful about it. In the end, he's remorseful enough to call off the dogs, tells other surgeons to be civil to the ER and "to chill,"

"But be civil to the ER doc who calls at three am; and to the nurse who overlooks something, explain in non-angry terms how and why you think it could have been different. A 'teaching moment,' I believe, is what they call it. Chill."

Interesting. Very. Very. In-ter-esting. I love his descriptors, though. He makes big bad ER doctors sound so EVIL like comic book super-villains. I love it!

Check it out:

http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2014/03/act-surgery-honorable.html

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: