A VR strategy that's working really well for me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PanRoasted

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
While my verbal score is not astronomically high, I think it's pretty good compared to what it was when I started studying (started around a 7, now 11/12). Also, since I've gotten some PMs based on just one comment I made in a thread a while ago, I've decided that maybe other people in MCAT Discussions would at the very least be interested in reading something for 5 minutes if there was even the slightest chance it would increase their VR.

One of the biggest things I've realized in all my time studying VR is that the #1 reason that I'll flop on a passage (like getting 75%...wrong) is because I just didn't understand the passage as a whole. Not that any particular questions "got me," or "seemed confusing". Those are all secondary to not understanding the entire passage and internalizing it. That led me to perusing the MCAT forums or the EK book for guidance, but these sources mostly failed me because the only advice I would get for better reading comprehension was "read a lot" or "act like you're interested in the material" or some other vague, unhelpful drivel. After some experimentation, this is what I came up with (and I quote this from a PM I sent).

Here's how I break it down:

Spend 1~ minute reading and internalizing the first paragraph of a passage. Understand it as if it were an idea that you came up with on your own. Every passage is written so that it follows a logical progression of ideas. Starting out I realized that I would read an entire passage and not really get the gist of it because I didn't fully understand the first paragraph and couldn't connect each subsequent paragraph to the entire passage as a whole. That's the first thing.

After you understand that first paragraph, read the next one carefully, but don't spend as much time on it. I like to take a 5 second scan of a paragraph to get the general idea of what it's going to be talking about. Then I do a closer read for about 30-35 seconds, connect the idea of that paragraph to what was said in the previous one, then I move on. And by connecting, I mean asking yourself the question "what does this paragraph add to the last, or how does it support the last paragraph, or if the idea in this paragraph conflicts the last one, what does this imply about where the author is taking his train of thought". Etc. Paragraph-by-paragraph. Once I'm done with the passage, I have a very clear picture of what the author said, why he was saying it, what was the purpose of each paragraph, and I also have a good idea of where to go look for something that comes up in a question. The brain is a lot better (well my brain is anyway) at internalizing ideas and concepts if they are attached or correlated to something else. The "something else" has to be rock solid though, which is why understanding that first part of the logical train of thought the author is on is so important. If you read each paragraph in relation to the previous one, you *should* find that you have a much easier time recalling and whatnot when you're doing the questions. I also find that it's easier to do something like this, where I concretely know what I have to accomplish when I'm reading a passage, than to blindly follow some vague strategy like "pretend a friend is telling you a story" or "just act like you're really interested and somehow you will be."

As far as the questions go, that's something you have to learn to do on your own. Just do a lot of practice tests, get familiar with what kinds of questions AAMC likes to ask on VR, and come up with a strategy for doing them that makes the most sense to you.

After adopting this strategy, I've used it on ek101 with a huge amount of success. I literally just kind of "discovered" this strategy a few days ago, and before I had a big problem with finishing a passage on time, now for some reason I'm just zooming through questions and finishing passages with 1-2 minutes to spare (with 100% accuracy). Now this is starting to sound like an infomercial, but I'm not trying to sell anyone anything, I'm not asking for money, or offering any guarantees. I'm mostly just kind of excited and was hoping to validate this method by seeing if anyone else could get anything from it. I also realize this has probably been stated by someone elsewhere in MCAT discussion at some point in time in one form or another. Well, here it is again!

Cheers.

EDIT: Edited to address some of the questions brought up in the topic, as well as some things that I have realized about this method. Also, some comments to address common problems/questions are found below.

Also, as far as TIMING goes, yes, you may initially find yourself losing a little time with this method. It is not unlikely that you will spend 4 minutes just reading the passage. However, this is offset by being able to complete questions much faster (Say about 15 seconds to read through each answer and pick out the right one just off the top of your head, and maybe another 15 seconds to confirm it by looking at the corresponding paragraph in the passage). Getting used to reading like this combined with getting used to answering questions with less reliance on digging through the passage for clues will contribute to faster times.

It WILL still be difficult to tackle those hard artsy passages with crappy language, because lets face it, nobody in real life writes like that and it's a little unreasonable for AAMC to ask a bunch of science majors to read an article about the cubism movement written by the author equivalent of a hipster.

A common problem a significant number of people seem to encounter with this method is that it can be very mentally draining. I don't know exactly why this is, though I theorize that having to read for complete comprehension of ideas is much more taxing on your brain than is doing a superficial reading and painfully making your way through each question. You might find yourself running out of steam midway through a VR test. Be aware of when this happens, take a quick 5-10 second breather and try to empty your brain, then go back to the questions/passage. It's better to recognize when you've begun to lose focus and take a step back than to just keep trying to push through it, then finishing the entire passage while realizing that you have not 1) actually understood any of the words you just read and/or 2) did not focus on connecting the ideas.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
I would say that my speed remained around ~4 minutes for the average passage. I found that trying to speed up the process only gave me worse results. Remember, though, that I only needed about 15-20 seconds to answer each question after that, so I ended up with more time in the end.

Members don't see this ad :)
i love you Mr. Roasted.

i started this strategy and though its taking me forever to read through a passage, sometimes up to 5 mins.. And still about 3-4 mins to answer questions.. I'm getting through questions without really having to look back at passages and ending up with usually only 1 or 2 wrong per passage! I think as I keep practicing my timing will get better, but this strategy has been golden for helping me understand what the hell is going on in a passage!

PanRoasted,

have you taken your MCAT? if so, how'd you do on VR?
Also, are you a native english speaker?

trying to see where i land with the other Verbal sufferers haha

I took my MCAT last august, with an 11 in VR.
I am a native English speaker.

Good luck for all you folks taking it this summer!

I took my MCAT last august, with an 11 in VR.
I am a native English speaker.

Good luck for all you folks taking it this summer!

that is amazing! what do you suggest for a super hard/dense passage that I completely DON'T understand at all when reading it?

I think I may have discussed this earlier in the thread. I would recommend reading through all of it, because some very good points were brought up. In general:

Every VR test has a number of easy and medium difficulty (difficulty with respect to language complexity) and a small number of high difficulty (usually not more than two) passages, with one of those being more difficult than the other. What I did: categorize all of the passages by difficulty in the first minute that you have, and then do the passages in order of increasing difficulty. Hopefully, you'll be able to blow through the easy passages relatively quickly in the beginning, and then you'll have the most time for the final passage to really digest the content. This way, you feel relaxed for the easy passages and won't make stupid mistakes (hopefully), and that will hopefully act as a buffer if you bomb the last one. Good luck!

In practice (in my actual verbal workbooks) I did use the highlight feature, and I used it on the CB practice tests and the real thing. It's quite easy to highlight on the CBT, and if you are smart and judicious with your highlighting, it can help. However, I found myself going back to the passages so rarely with this method that I didn't really need the highlighting. I used it more as a way to keep my attention in check, because highlighting is how I study for any material I learn in university. YMMV.

I realize that probably wasn't very helpful, lol. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
It WILL still be difficult to tackle those hard artsy passages with crappy language, because lets face it, nobody in real life writes like that and it's a little unreasonable for AAMC to ask a bunch of science majors to read an article about the cubism movement written by the author equivalent of a hipster.

But that's the point. People do write like that in real life (e.g., check out The New Yorker), and it's high time that these "science majors" know a little bit more than to simply read out of textbooks and simple news articles.

Don't ignore the "artsy passages." Your score will tank if you do well on the other passages and then get 3/7 on the artsy one. Even with everything else perfect, getting 4 wrong is an automatic 11-12.

Last edited:
I will attempt your strategy tonight on some EK passages and report back. Thanks for bumping the thread!

Scored 10 on Verbal today using TPRH passages, gave myself 7minutes/passage. (avg was a 8/7 so a good improvement)

Thanks man, I really like how I am able to more clearly focus on the whole passage by spending a little more time reading the first paragraph. It's almost a hybrid strategy between EK's get the main idea and TPR focusing on paragraph strategy.

Anyways, still want to beat that 11 + mark , so I'll keep on practicing.

Scored 10 on Verbal today using TPRH passages, gave myself 7minutes/passage. (avg was a 8/7 so a good improvement)

Thanks man, I really like how I am able to more clearly focus on the whole passage by spending a little more time reading the first paragraph. It's almost a hybrid strategy between EK's get the main idea and TPR focusing on paragraph strategy.

Anyways, still want to beat that 11 + mark , so I'll keep on practicing.

I'm really glad I could help! Verbal always got me down because it was so difficult to make progress, good on you for the improvement to your score.

Hey PanRoasted,

So ive been trying out your strategy and can definitely see how it can work. The only problem I have is while im reading, after im done with a paragraph, in my head I sort of say "Ok, how did that relate to the previous paragraph..." and two possible bad things can happen

1. I have no clue and I start freaking out :laugh:
2. I start thinking into it a little too much and end up actually wasting time

Ive been in the 9-11 range but want to solidify that 11

So how exactly do YOU personally go about following your own method...let me into the mind of PanRoasted during a verbal passage :bow:

thanks!

Hey PanRoasted,

So ive been trying out your strategy and can definitely see how it can work. The only problem I have is while im reading, after im done with a paragraph, in my head I sort of say "Ok, how did that relate to the previous paragraph..." and two possible bad things can happen

1. I have no clue and I start freaking out :laugh:
2. I start thinking into it a little too much and end up actually wasting time

Ive been in the 9-11 range but want to solidify that 11

So how exactly do YOU personally go about following your own method...let me into the mind of PanRoasted during a verbal passage :bow:

thanks!

For #1: I would perhaps suggest spending a little more time on the first paragraph before moving on. I also consider, as I am reading the first paragraph (and then subsequent paragraphs), where I think the essay will go from that point. If my predictions are proven to be correct in the next paragraph, then yay me. If not, then I get to ponder the question "OK, why did the author NOT go in the direction that I assumed s/he would?" It's really important to be asking yourself questions as you read, so that the entire process involves critical thinking and not just in between paragraphs. It's a lot of mental power to grapple with at one time, but it's really necessary if you want to do well on the VR. Practice makes perfect!

As far as #2 goes, not quite sure how to help you there. If you are doing the thinking as you read along, you will probably save time instead of saving all your critical thinking for in between paragraphs.

Reactions: 1 user
Got it, ill start working on this first thing tomorrow morning! and yes, definitely a lot of brain power, i can physically feel it haha

Thanks!

I would amend this strategy by a little, sometimes the intro is an author citation of a quote or some other author's idea, then para 2 becomes an actual intro. This may make it easier especially if you realize in Para 2 the author is totally trolling the thing he cited, or just totally agreeing with it.

hi PanRoasted.i use ur strategy but i find that i am unable to finish passages in time. also, some questions, the ones requiring inference are always getting wrong. i d b thankful if u give me some tips to overcome these.i hv wasted alot of practice material and running short. scoring 7-8 in EKs. anything helping me cut to very thing VR wants d b great help. Thanks

Connect the paragraphs, by using a connecting sentence, either write it down or just memorize it, doesnt have to be about the passage (i.e. This paragraph adds this X to this X. )

Also when doing questions, do the simple questions first and work your way up to complex.....you are bound to get atleast 4/7 right....the rest is all just practice....

and this method does tax your brain a lot more....

I am so glad that I read the original post because I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM. I was doing really well on some passages and just TOTALLY bombing others. But yes I agree with everything that was written and I think it's a great strategy.

I do have to add though that the part about losing steam is so on par. I did a full test today and the last passage was the one I did worse on because I just had this " I wanna get this over with" feeling. Plus it was SUPER humid+hot so that didn't help either. Its SO important to go into verbal with a clear head, some ear plugs, and good AC(if you have some).

:)

I retake on Friday. My verbal score was significantly behind my other two sections and is the main reason I am retaking. your strategy has significantly improved my verbal section. Thank you very much.

Recently, I've had some issues withing running out of time and being rushed towards the end. Any tips on how you maintained your speed / accuracy and pushed through the passage still maintaining this strategy?

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, it's about two years out from my MCAT and I really don't remember. Whatever I mentioned in this thread before is the best advice I can offer. My general tip is to get a ton of rest the night before, and take a sleep aid if you're too nervous to go to bed.

Best of luck!

So I didn't do very much verbal review before taking EK # 1 or AAMC 3. My scores were: EK 1 = 4 and AAMC 3 = 3. I freaked out. I was so concerned with time and speed reading while "mapping the passage" as Kaplan and TPR suggest. All the highlighting of transition words and quotes drew me away from gripping the passage. It also led me to refer back to the passage on almost every question because I thought "ok I highlighted this topic". After the failures, I read multiple strategies and came across this one the night before taking AAMC 4, which I took yesterday. I implemented this method and scored an 8. thats a 6 point jump just by reading slowly. I maybe highlighted a total of 3 things out of all 7 passages and maybe referred back to a passage 2 times because it was something directly related to a quote or idea in the passage. I took almost 10 minutes/passage and only had about a minute and a half left on the 7th passage. I ended up guessing 3/5 correct in the final passage just before time was up.
Basically, by reading at my own comprehension rate, taking time on the first paragraph and scaffolding the ideas as I went on to each paragraph and taking a 5 second break when losing focus or losing the general idea I understood everything much better. I am taking EK 2 today and will post my score when I am done. The EK 101 book seems to be more difficult so far than any other sources, even AAMC.

BOTTOM LINE- THIS METHOD WORKED FOR ME ON MY FIRST TRY. Just read at the rate your can really comprehend the material, if you run out of time at the end, at least your only guessing on 5-6 instead of 40 questions.

THANK YOU @PanRoasted