A+ vs. A

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalSkills

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking over the AADSAS GPA calculation guide lines are they factor an A+ as a 4.3 into your GPA, but an A is a 4.0. Alot of schools don't give out A+s so how is this fair? Do D-schools realize this???

Members don't see this ad.

DentalSkills said:
I was looking over the AADSAS GPA calculation guide lines are they factor an A+ as a 4.3 into your GPA, but an A is a 4.0. Alot of schools don't give out A+s so how is this fair? Do D-schools realize this???

wow, just take it easy, and everything will work out. Just fill out your apps to the best of your ability, and let them sort it out.

Wow I didn't know that an A+ was counted as a 4.333! I knew that A+ in gen chem lab was good for something. lol

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
DentalSkills said:

AADSAS has to apply some sort of standard which recognizes all of the varying methods of grading out there and in most schools which utilize a +/- system an A+ is a 4.3. AADSAS merely goes by the grades posted on your transcript to forumulate your AADSAS gpa and schools will have a copy of your transcripts if they have any questions. Keep in mind that not too many students out there will have A+'s, and when they do I am confident they are not peppered all over their transcripts. Dental schools take a lot more into consideration than just your gpa when making decisions and as long as you have a good gpa small distinctions between gpa's (e.g. a 3.65 versus a 3.7) shouldn't matter all that much.

With no plus there is also no minus so it all balances out in the end.

Yeah I was wondering about this also.. Not with the + / - though because my school doesn't use + or - at all... Just A, B, C, etc.

Sometimes I think that is really unfair because my school does the +/- system but they don't give out A+'s. So say I get a 97 in a class and I get an A and someone from another school gets a 97 and then a A+ that other person will get a 4.3 and I will get a 4. Somehow that doesn't seem fair to me. But there is not much I can do about it. It must be difficult for AADSAS though to try and balance everyone's systems.

Why does it feel like I'm getting shafted??

:confused:

you're not getting shafted, don't worry about it. AADSAS have been around for years, so has adcoms at D-schools, I'm sure they've addressed this issue long ago.

J2AZ said:
With no plus there is also no minus so it all balances out in the end.

Wrong...we have +/-, but no A+ offered

DentalSkills said:
There are some things in life that are just too unimportant to shorten your life obsessing over.

This is one of them.

I was talking to my ANP2 Professor and he was actually on a commitee to vote on the A+ issue as 4.3 GPA. The end result was the school keeps the +/- system for all letter grades except for A+. The reason is some people could theoretically graduate with above 4.00 GPA and some job interviews would question the integrity of the university when GPA is not out of 4.00. My professor disagrees and says there should be a distinction between a student who gets a 99/100 vs a 93. My professor didn't win his argument. Oh well, maybe I should fail my final exam so I can lower my average down to a 93.

My school uses +/-. But never give out A+ :mad:

aphistis said:
There are some things in life that are just too unimportant to shorten your life obsessing over.

This is one of them.

this is true...
but i'm sure there was a point in our lives, when we "stressed out" about missing our saturday morning cartoons

sometimes it's hard for us to see the big picture when we're still inexperienced...we all go through it ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
My school doesn't give out A+'s. Well, actually I should rephrase that. The registrar doesn't recognize them as beign a 4.333, while professors still give them out. However, they count the same in your GPA. Basically whether you get an A or A+ it's still a 4.0. However, since I did have some A+'s my actual AADSAS GPA was higher than my college GPA.

I think mathematically it is more accurate to have a 4.3 GPA awarded to A+'s. Plus it would be more fair--because getting a 98% takes a MUCH smarter student than to get a 94% IMO.

However, they are right--if I saw a student with a 4.1 GPA, I would be very skeptical about their school and the way they give out grades. . . in fact I would probable make jokes about it behind their back.

onetoothleft said:
I think mathematically it is more accurate to have a 4.3 GPA awarded to A+'s. Plus it would be more fair--because getting a 98% takes a MUCH smarter student than to get a 94% IMO.

However, they are right--if I saw a student with a 4.1 GPA, I would be very skeptical about their school and the way they give out grades. . . in fact I would probable make jokes about it behind their back.

I think it is absolutely insane giving out 4.333's for A+'s - it's perposturous!!!

I went to UF for undergrad where they only gave out +'s but no A+'s nor any -'s (contrast that to dental school where they hand out percentages-at least they do here at NOVA.) :)

Just wondering....

So ADDSAS calculates a 4.3 as an A+? If so,you guys are lucky!!!! :D

When I calculated my GPA based on AADSAS I really didn't have that substantial of an increase in my GPA from the +/- system and I had 9 A+'s. I also had a few minuses which balanced it out, so in reality it's not that much of an advantage. Everyone hates the +/- system at my school so they will probably get rid of it eventually.

Stressing over an A instead of an A+ = +pity+

Grading just isn't fair in many instances. Grade inflation, school, and the ability to sweet-talk for a higher grade (never worked for me--am I at a disadvantage?) all play into grading comparisons.

There are people going to Harvard who have 3.0's while others going to Community College have 4.0's. Do you think that makes the Harvard student any less of a student? There is no way to be completely fair and standardized but I am sure AADSAS has a way to compensate.

:laugh: You wont get denied because you got a 4.0 instead of a 4.3. Just not going to happen! :laugh:

i wouldn't mind getting a 4.3 to counteract some B's :D

My school does +/- but no A+'s... there is a A- however and its worth 3.7. So yea, its not exactly fair... :oops: