A+ vs A?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HunterPB

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
An A+ isn't any better than an A in terms of GPA, correct? So, do you think it adds anything on your transcript?

I ask b/c I'm in the take the pre-reqs & boost your UG GPA via post-bacc classes right now.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't matter, don't waste your time.

An A+ isn't any better than an A in terms of GPA, correct? So, do you think it adds anything on your transcript?

I ask b/c I'm in the take the pre-reqs & boost your UG GPA via post-bacc classes right now.

Thanks!

An A is all you need. But I don't think you want to work less because you only need an A...

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I'm not going to work any less hard, was just wondering if there were any benefit...too bad!

i don't see any numerical benefit to your gpa. an A+ at my school is still a 4.0, nothing additional. sure, it might look nice on top of an A, but it's really not necessary. perhaps if someone got an A+ in every single prereq class it may garner some attention.

I think they can still see it if they look at your AMCAS grades or your school transcript even though it doesn't count in the gpa. If you can get them then go for it. I had several in my post-bac and when people went to write my LOR's and I gave them the transcripts they were very impressed. I think that when an adcomm reviews your file they would be just as impressed. Every little thing helps!

I had several in my post-bac and when people went to write my LOR's and I gave them the transcripts they were very impressed. I think that when an adcomm reviews your file they would be just as impressed. Every little thing helps!

Really, that's good news! Yes, I should have at least some A+ grades in post-bacc, 10 years after a poor showing in undergrad. Thanks and congrats on your acceptance (not sure if you're a new med student or not).

As been said, according to AMCAS an A+ is no better than an A.

That said, I find that grades have a huge psychological factor for me. The less margin of error I have, the more pressure I feel and consequently, the worse I do. If I aim for an A+, the absolute best, then I feel less pressure and have some "fiddle room" in case I don't do well on an exam -- and I still get an A. In the times I've though to myself "I'm only aiming for an A", I slack of where I shouldn't have and end up really pressured to maintain an A. Sometimes I've gotten a B when an A was easily within reach.

So in the end, no, an A+ doesn't mean anything but keeping your eye on the prize might help you pull off at least an A with minimal stress.