A word of encouragement...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HomeSkool

Excelsior! ASA Member!
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
To those of you who are discouraged by rejections, few IIs, waitlists, lack of movement on your apps, etc.:
not-happening2.png

Don't despair. Work hard and stay positive.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 24 users
Ready for the flames, but what the heck does this do for anyone? If you don't have II's and you weren't waitlisted you better get to work. Snowflakes the real world is upon you.

Reactions: 1 user
The encouragement is, erm, holistic?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wake up princess, getting accepted is difficult. Safe spaces and positive thoughts won't get you there.
I daresay I know more about being accepted to medical training programs than you.

I've always noticed that those who are negative and reject the value of positive thinking like to think they have had harder lives or that they "live in the real world"..... but in reality are just bitter people who don't have the ability to deal with the harsh aspects of life and would rather sulk in their own misery rather than have the character to do anything about it, and prefer to drag others down with them.

Reactions: 3 users
Ready for the flames, but what the heck does this do for anyone? If you don't have II's and you weren't waitlisted you better get to work. Snowflakes the real world is upon you.
Sup tough brosef. Like many others I myself didn’t get into med school the first time (or the second time for that matter) because I had no idea wtf I was doing with my applications. I came to this site and learned a lot and eventually I got in. It was hard and I struggled a lot because it was the first time I ever failed at anything (had like a 3.8 gpa and a 34 mcat at Cal with research, volunteering and all that jazz). I never gave up though and here I am today.

Being told the world is harsh doesn’t accomplish anything. People looking at plan b know the world is harsh because they are experiencing that harshness. They are living in it. Your post does nothing for them. Being told, however, that there can still be success in the future, may accomplish at least something for some readers by giving them some drive into the next cycle.

Reactions: 6 users
Being told, however, that there can still be success in the future, may accomplish at least something for some readers by giving them some drive into the next cycle.
And right there, you've perfectly captured my motivation for starting this thread. The world is harsh and admission is hard to get, but despair and defeatism help no one.

To those of you who are discouraged by rejections, few IIs, waitlists, lack of movement on your apps, etc.:
View attachment 226720

Don't despair. Work hard and stay positive.

The major irony here is not what HomeSkool posted. I think the content that was posted, while holding good intention, isn't exactly uplifting, because inherently most things aren't during a struggling application cycle (not that the post was faulty, but rather there's just not much you can say to uplift struggling applicants).

However, its WHO HomeSkool is that makes this post significant.

If someone who is both a physician and faculty member (although not sure if ADCOM?) is rooting for re-applicants, then that's a good sign that they aren't looking down on them during future cycles, but rather wanting them to succeed.

Reactions: 2 users
The major irony here is not what HomeSkool posted. I think the content that was posted, while holding good intention, isn't exactly uplifting, because inherently most things aren't during a struggling application cycle (not that the post was faulty, but rather there's just not much you can say to uplift struggling applicants).

However, its WHO HomeSkool is that makes this post significant.

If someone who is both a physician and faculty member (although not sure if ADCOM?) is rooting for re-applicants, then that's a good sign that they aren't looking down on them during future cycles, but rather wanting them to succeed.
Interviewer for the admissions process, but not adcom (yet). Curriculum developer and lecturer for MS-3 and -4 rotators on the anesthesiology service. Active clinician directly involved in point-of-care education of both med students and anesthesiology residents. I love my clinical work, but my educational duties are what elevate it from a job to a vocation.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewer for the admissions process, but not adcom (yet). Curriculum developer and lecturer for MS-3 and -4 rotators on the anesthesiology service. Active clinician directly involved in point-of-care education of both med students and anesthesiology residents. I love my clinical work, but my educational duties are what elevate it from a job to a vocation.

You seem like the type of person that feels bad when they have to turn down an applicant during the interview process.
Does it ever seem bitter sweet to be someone who gets to accept, but also has to reject?

You seem like the type of person that feels bad when they have to turn down an applicant during the interview process.
Does it ever seem bitter sweet to be someone who gets to accept, but also has to reject?
I feel bad for them, not for myself. I remember what it was like to be so anxious about my future, and to have worked so hard and yet be so uncertain that it was enough. But yes, the fact that I'm part of saying "yes" and "no" to people's dreams does sit heavy at times.

That said, there are some people for whom I feel less bad. We do see some interesting social pathologies during interview season.

I've always noticed that those who are negative and reject the value of positive thinking like to think they have had harder lives or that they "live in the real world"..... but in reality are just bitter people who don't have the ability to deal with the harsh aspects of life and would rather sulk in their own misery rather than have the character to do anything about it, and prefer to drag others down with them.

This is the Hallmark equivalent to medical school application advice and I can't deal?

I find that lib doctors gravitate to faculty because they don't like working hard. They like to spew their "enlightenment" occasionally and reality is, if you don't have II's wishful thinking isn't going to correct the problem.

How do you like this observation Freud? It's as anecdotal and fact devoid as yours, but I'll bet it's more true.

Sure, what's that have to do with my comment?

I love to cook, but I don't exactly challenge Gordon Ramsay to a scrambled egg cookoff, especially not if he has posted a video of tips and tricks to get a perfect scrambled egg not long ago.

I feel bad for them, not for myself. I remember what it was like to be so anxious about my future, and to have worked so hard and yet be so uncertain that it was enough.

That said, there are some people for whom I feel less bad. We do see some interesting social pathologies during interview season.

Yup, the constant uncertainty is not something that is fun to deal with, but comes easier with time. Often times, if you're busy enough, you don't even have time to think about your future because of all the present things you have to deal with to get you there.

When you say you see "interesting social pathologies during interview season", do you think they are actually "socially off the mark" or that their interview could just make them nervous enough to really throw them off to the point where it just seems that way?

When you say you see "interesting social pathologies during interview season", do you think they are actually "socially off the mark" or that their interview could just make them nervous enough to really throw them off to the point where it just seems that way?
Some in each camp, I think. I've seem some people who get flustered and forget how to use their words or who put their foot in their mouth. I've also seen people openly expressing racist and/or sexist ideologies, or passing judgment on others in ways that are completely inappropriate.

Some in each camp, I think. I've seem some people who get flustered and forget how to use their words or who put their foot in their mouth. I've also seen people openly expressing racist and/or sexist ideologies, or passing judgment on others in ways that are completely inappropriate.

Do you take more pity on those who get flustered/foot in mouth?

Also, people actually act sexist/racist/passing judgement during interviews? Do you think they realize they are doing this, or do you think they just don't care?

Also, people actually act sexist/racist/passing judgement during interviews? Do you think they realize they are doing this, or do you think they just don't care?
I know this quesion is not for me. But..
I think some people are like that and got used to it so much that it became their normal.

Do you take more pity on those who get flustered/foot in mouth?
Pity, no. Patience, yes. By that I mean it doesn't score them pity points, but I also do my utmost not to let it overshadow the content of their answers and impressiveness of their accomplishments.

That's a tough question and I can't really speak to their motivations. But I do think the stress of the interview day beats their defenses down a bit and reveals some attitudes and beliefs that they otherwise might hide more effectively.

I love to cook, but I don't exactly challenge Gordon Ramsay to a scrambled egg cookoff, especially not if he has posted a video of tips and tricks to get a perfect scrambled egg not long ago.

If good old Gordon told me to put a few eggs in a bowl, click my heels together three times, concentrate very hard and I'd make quiche I would.

Smh what happened to this thread

For someone who is definitely NOT a snowflake, @mk04447 seems pretty triggered

Reactions: 7 users
Yup, the constant uncertainty is not something that is fun to deal with, but comes easier with time. Often times, if you're busy enough, you don't even have time to think about your future because of all the present things you have to deal with to get you there.

My learned colleague has opened up an excellent teaching moment! There are definitely very bright people who simply do not know how to hold a normal conversation with other human beings....and then it's made worse by not being able to think on their feet. And then there's regular nervousness. It's OK to be nervous, but there's a point where int his Olympic event, other people crowd you out.

You're all my witnesses! That was the first time in my life anyone has called me liberal!
I see this on Facebook all the time...Liberal as a descriptor for anything one doesn't like.
These Liberal eggs are too cold!
The Liberal car wont start!
I can't find my Liberal books!!!
I dropped that Liberal hammer on my Liberal toe!

Re; the bolded text::wtf::wtf::wtf::wow::wow::wow::wow:
I've never had that happen, except for some guys from paternalistic cultures expressing a worrisome amount of misogyny.

My learned colleague has opened up an excellent teaching moment! There are definitely very bright people who simply do not know how to hold a normal conversation with other human beings....and then it's made worse by not being able to think on their feet. And then there's regular nervousness. It's OK to be nervous, but there's a point where int his Olympic event, other people crowd you out.
I couldn't agree more. This is one of the principal reasons for the med school admission interview. People skills are integral to the practice of medicine. In my own field, for example, I meet patients mere moments before I ask them to put their lives in my hands. I have precious little time to gather critical information, make decisions, and gain their confidence. Most other specialties similarly require the ability to interact with people.

In addition, poor communication is a leading cause of both preventable harm to patients and malpractice lawsuits. Let that one sink in for a minute. (Sources: Communication Breakdowns in Healthcare: A Significant Cause of Risk and Malpractice Litigation, Communication gaffes: a root cause of malpractice claims, Communication failures linked to 1,744 patient deaths in five years)

I see this on Facebook all the time...Liberal as a descriptor for anything one doesn't like.
These Liberal eggs are too cold!
The Liberal car wont start!
I can't find my Liberal books!!!
I dropped that Liberal hammer on my Liberal toe!
This type of thing -- whether leveled against liberals or conservatives -- irritates me to no end. It's an ad hominem attack, and a pretty stupid one at that. Reasonable adults can disagree, and conflating all of a person's positive and negative qualities into a single "bad" or "good" label based on their political leanings is about as lazy as it gets.

Re; the bolded text::wtf::wtf::wtf::wow::wow::wow::wow:
I've never had that happen, except for some guys from paternalistic cultures expressing a worrisome amount of misogyny.
These people are rare outliers. The large majority of candidates I see are very impressive.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
This is the Hallmark equivalent to medical school application advice and I can't deal?

I find that lib doctors gravitate to faculty because they don't like working hard. They like to spew their "enlightenment" occasionally and reality is, if you don't have II's wishful thinking isn't going to correct the problem.

How do you like this observation Freud? It's as anecdotal and fact devoid as yours, but I'll bet it's more true.
Hmm didn't know being a positive/decent person is a liberal trait. Thought being a positive and decent person was just what good healthy people do. By the way anyone who entered this process is working hard right now with or without their political leaning.

Hmm didn't know being a positive/decent person is a liberal trait. Thought being a positive and decent person was just what good healthy people do. By the way anyone who entered this process is working hard right now with or without their political leaning.

Analogy genius. Read what I wrote again.

People, why won't you just admit wishful thinking isn't going to do squat once the applications been cast? You don't have to become evil people or worse. This simply isn't very good advice. Next you'll be telling reapplicants that they didn't want it bad enough last cycle, just reapply next year and if you've been good boys or girls santa will bring you a II.

People, why won't you just admit wishful thinking isn't going to do squat once the applications been cast? You don't have to become evil people or worse. This simply isn't very good advice. Next you'll be telling reapplicants that they didn't want it bad enough last cycle, just reapply next year and if you've been good boys or girls santa will bring you a II.
What are you tring to achieve here?
People heard you opinion.

Analogy genius. Read what I wrote again.

25-Funny-Salty-meme-2.jpg

Sorry your encouraging thread got derailed, @HomeSkool

Reactions: 6 users
The post struck me as stupid, sorry everyone involved.

People, why won't you just admit wishful thinking isn't going to do squat once the applications been cast?

Nobody is saying that. And most of us (at least I think) agree that wishful thinking won't turn a sub-optimal app with no II at this point into a stellar piece either. It's more of an inspiration and aspiration thing. The very original post is more so of an encouragement for a long term positive outlook. And @HomeSkool did explicitly say to work hard at the end.

Harking back to cooking analogy, maybe scrambled egg isn't the best since it is a quick recipe but if you set aside 3 hours of an afternoon to bake a cheese cake, most of us amateur chefs prefer not to begin with a pessimistic stance. It's not that we won't over-mix the cream cheese or add too much vanilla extract or something. We do, that's why we are amateurs, not Gordon Ramsay or Jamie Oliver. However, if we dwell too much on the mid-process hiccups we will lead to more down the road, like baking for too long and burning the crumb crust, especially if by the 60-mins baking mark your nose can't sense that tangy but caramelly aroma that indicates a good midway checkpoint. Sure we can arrange to bake another one next weekend or something, but it's much better to rebake with a mindset that "I will eventually kick@$$ with this recipe" rather than "nope this whole lot is beyond my skill I've just wasted a grocery trip and $$ on more dairy and eggs." Also, depending on the ingredient add-ons and cake styles, some cakes give out that aroma really late or you can't use that benchmark at all. Yet this does not mean you prematurely assume you've sunk 3 hours of mixing and measuring efforts into oblivion without at least hoping for a decent final product at the end.

I may or may not have written this on an empty stomach.

Nobody is saying that. And most of us (at least I think) agree that wishful thinking won't turn a sub-optimal app with no II at this point into a stellar piece either. It's more of an inspiration and aspiration thing. The very original post is more so of an encouragement for a long term positive outlook. And @HomeSkool did explicitly say to work hard at the end.

Harking back to cooking analogy, maybe scrambled egg isn't the best since it is a quick recipe but if you set aside 3 hours of an afternoon to bake a cheese cake, most of us amateur chefs prefer not to begin with a pessimistic stance. It's not that we won't over-mix the cream cheese or add too much vanilla extract or something. We do, that's why we are amateurs, not Gordon Ramsay or Jamie Oliver. However, if we dwell too much on the mid-process hiccups we will lead to more down the road, like baking for too long and burning the crumb crust, especially if by the 60-mins baking mark your nose can't sense that tangy but caramelly aroma that indicates a good midway checkpoint. Sure we can arrange to bake another one next weekend or something, but it's much better to rebake with a mindset that "I will eventually kick@$$ with this recipe" rather than "nope this whole lot is beyond my skill I've just wasted a grocery trip and $$ on more dairy and eggs." Also, depending on the ingredient add-ons and cake styles, some cakes give out that aroma really late or you can't use that benchmark at all. Yet this does not mean you prematurely assume you've sunk 3 hours of mixing and measuring efforts into oblivion without at least hoping for a decent final product at the end.

I may or may not have written this on an empty stomach.

Empty stomach or not, who the hell are you? What have you written, an argument against cooking? Long term positive outlook, is that a real thing? There is one do and do not. Get out of the kitchen, even Julia Child knew when she wasn't relevant.

Freud says that angry internet trolls are bitter real life losers :D

Looks like @mk04447, who's already on probation, is probably gonna get banned after the posts on this thread

Let's all bid them a graceful farewell...

Screen Shot 2017-12-18 at 8.41.28 PM.png

Empty stomach or not, who the hell are you? What have you written, an argument against cooking? Long term positive outlook, is that a real thing? There is one do and do not. Get out of the kitchen, even Julia Child knew when she wasn't relevant.
Why are you so angry... chill

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.