a year off before school starts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Profchaos

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of this?
I'm so tired right now and I want a year off without having to think about any textbooks or scores.
Is it worthy it?
Have any of you done it?

Members don't see this ad.

I took a year off and just worked in a lab and actually teach the DAT for kaplan. I feel like it was the right thing for me to do. I was pretty burnt out but now I feel really excited to get back into it. They year off was nice, made some money too. Seeing that I'm going to UOP I'll still graduate at the same time as I would had I gone to UCLA or something. If you don't mind being a year older it can be nice.

Profchaos said:
I'm so tired right now and I want a year off without having to think about any textbooks or scores.
Is it worthy it?
Have any of you done it?

i've talked to numerous DDS and MD's and most of them have said that they would've taken a year off. for those who have taken a year off, they told me it was worth it and needed. for those who didn't take time off, they just wanted to get it done with fast. it just depends on what you want. but definitely, there is always the factor that you could get so used to taking the time off that you don't want to go back to school. good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
ucizotzot said:
but definitely, there is always the factor that you could get so used to taking the time off that you don't want to go back to school. good luck

Lol. I do see myself having that possiblity.
I wish I could be a dentist without going through dental school.

Profchaos said:
Lol. I do see myself having that possiblity.
I wish I could be a dentist without going through dental school.

LOL yeah me too :)

It is very tempting, but you really should go right away unless you are really feeling burnt out, financially speaking. That year you may not make more money than you spend, so you may or may not be able to save money. And trust me, saving money is not as fun as having money. And that year would be better spent after dental school than before because your earning potential is so high as a dentist--even a new one.

Profchaos said:
Is it worthy it?
Have any of you done it?

I say take that year off - especially if you are feeling burned out! I took a year off and just worked and went to the beach and it was great (now I am ready to tackle dental school) and also not being in school during the admissions process was a real plus. You can also approach this question from another angle: once out of dental school your obligations will have increased and you won't have the same degree of carefree freedom that you do right now. Bad teeth, dental floss, and paychecks will be around for years to come, so be good take one off for yourself. ;)

Take a year off and have some serious fun before the hell starts.

I took 6 months off after I graduated and I have nothing to show for it. I just worked my crappy job and thats about it. Seems like a black area in my memory. If you do take a year off, actually DO something worthwhile. Maybe travel some or learn something new and fun. If you just remain idle during that whole time you'll look back and say "gawd what have I done for this long?" Thats just me...

I'm in the process of takign about half a year off... I'm having a blast! I feel recharged and I'm looking forward to when school starts again. I've spent my time reading the stuff I've always wanted to read basically whatever I feel like. Had a chance to pursue whatever hobbies that strikes my fancy. But then again I've worked enough in college where I will never have to work again... so I guess I didn't have to worry about a job... maybe it would have been a lot less fun if I had to work, but then I hear once you work you realize how much working sucks it motivates you to do well when you get back to school...