AACOMAS Traffic Guidelines

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

petomed

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to know exactly how this goes down. I've put deposits down at multiple schools at this point. I'm maintaining multiple A's because I need to find adequate housing for my growing family. Once secured, I have no problem at all withdrawing from the other schools.

So, here's the language I'd like clarification on:

"Starting April 1, osteopathic medical colleges are asked to report to AACOMAS the names and identification of candidates who have paid a deposit, hold a position at an osteopathic medical college entering class or both. After May 15, AACOMAS reports to each institution the names and candidates for its entering class who hold an acceptance(s) at additional institutions. An osteopathic medical college may rescind an offer of admissions to a candidate who has paid deposits to or holds positions at multiple institutions. If the osteopathic medical college chooses to withdraw the candidate from the entering class, the college must give the candidate a minimum 15-day notice. After the 15-day notice, if the candidate does not respond and is withdrawn from a college, the deposit is forfeited, and the seat may be given to another candidate. Therefore, prior to May 15, applicants need to withdraw from any college(s) which they do not plan to attend and only hold a position at one COM to avoid having positions withdrawn."

I'm interpreting this as follows.

April 1
1) All DO schools begin reporting their list of accepted and/or deposited students to AACOMAS on April 1. This centralizing and reporting of accepted student data to AACOMAS continues for the duration of the cycle.

May 15
2) AACOMAS begins reporting back to the DO schools their list of students who hold multiple A's, deposits on May 15.
3) This should be the earliest possible date on which a school may learn that you hold multiple seats.
4) If a DO school learns one of their accepted students holds multiple A's, they can choose to rescind their offer to that student.
5) If the DO school chooses to rescind their offer to said student, they must give the student 15 days to rectify the situation. Namely, the student would receive an email from the school that their offer will be rescinded in < 15 days if they don't withdraw from the other schools and provide evidence as such.

If anyone has dealt with this scenario, your input would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

What question do you have? Basically, you need to think about narrowing down your choices and let the schools begin to anticipate managing waitlisted candidates. Schools can find out if you are on the multiple accept list beginning in mid May, but schools have to begin reporting in April. I think that's how this works.

What question do you have? Basically, you need to think about narrowing down your choices and let the schools begin to anticipate managing waitlisted candidates. Schools can find out if you are on the multiple accept list beginning in mid May, but schools have to begin reporting in April. I think that's how this works.
That part seems pretty clear to me. But knowing how (4) and (5) operate are important.

Members don't see this ad :)
I assume the logistics vary from school to school. At a minimum, you would have till the end of May to withdraw. If you have multiple acceptances at schools that seem pretty equivalent to you and your needs, then I would try to focus on the one in a LCOL area/one without a massive housing shortage if you need a home there for your family and are having a tough time finding one. You may have a very difficult time if you are looking near Touro CA for example. It is unlikely that waiting longer would allow you to find something affordable in that scenario.

Reactions: 1 user
That part seems pretty clear to me. But knowing how (4) and (5) operate are important.
All applicants need to be honest brokers and keep the schools where they have placed deposits about their intention to join the class. Many students may not be as responsive, but this rule basically says that a school can choose to rescind offers from those who haven't responded to their offers or confirmations of enrollment. The minimum amount of time that the school can rescind an offer is 15 days as opposed to a much shorter time period (until nearer to the time that orientation is scheduled say in less than four weeks). So don't string the schools along... people on waitlists rely on the honest behavior of those in the process with offers.

I know PCOM does follow the AACOMAS guidelines and will enter those that have been accepted, rejected and waitlisted. I can not remember if they ever sent a notice to withdraw to anyone. They have a very active and long waitlist and have had to accept people right up to orientation. I feel bad for those that find out last minute (though I do remember that they tried to get someone who lived close). Whatever your reason I think you should narrow down as best you can. Think how you would feel if the shoe was on the other foot.

Reactions: 2 users
I know PCOM does follow the AACOMAS guidelines and will enter those that have been accepted, rejected and waitlisted. I can not remember if they ever sent a notice to withdraw to anyone. They have a very active and long waitlist and have had to accept people right up to orientation. I feel bad for those that find out last minute (though I do remember that they tried to get someone who lived close). Whatever your reason I think you should narrow down as best you can. Think how you would feel if the shoe was on the other foot.
Thanks for the info. I agree. The shoe is on the other foot. My top pick school is the one closest to family. I’m on the wait list there and my family and I have had to plan accordingly. That’s just how things are, everyone is looking for the best option. I respect that and feel for those that are waiting on a dime like I am. Unfortunately, I can’t just pack up my car and drive off wherever the sun sets like a 22 year old. My family has to come first here.

Great question, curious about this topic. So DO schools report to AACOMAS applicants that are on their waitlist as well? What should students do if they hold an acceptance, paid deposit to 1 DO school, yet on a waitlist at 3 more schools (hopeful to hear back with an Acceptance from one of them in particular?) Should they maintain or withdraw from the waitlist by April 1? May 15? How does this work?

Great question, curious about this topic. So DO schools report to AACOMAS applicants that are on their waitlist as well? What should students do if they hold an acceptance, paid deposit to 1 DO school, yet on a waitlist at 3 more schools (hopeful to hear back with an Acceptance from one of them in particular?) Should they maintain or withdraw from the waitlist by April 1? May 15? How does this work?
"Waitlist" or a synonym for it never appear in AACOMAS's language. This would be a terrible idea if an applicant couldn't be on a waitlist while maintaining an acceptance.

But I could see it becoming an issue if you're suddenly given an offer from your WL school and you fail to respond to them before your previously A'd school finds out and drops you like its hot. This is why I've removed myself from all WL'd schools on my list that are beneath the current A. I'd suggest you do the same and remain very responsive to new offers.

"Waitlist" or a synonym for it never appear in AACOMAS's language. This would be a terrible idea if an applicant couldn't be on a waitlist while maintaining an acceptance.

But I could see it becoming an issue if you're suddenly given an offer from your WL school and you fail to respond to them before your previously A'd school finds out and drops you like its hot. This is why I've removed myself from all WL'd schools on my list that are beneath the current A. I'd suggest you do the same and remain very responsive to new offers.
Interesting perspective. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about it. This would apply only to DO, correct and not if an applicant is waiting from an MD waitlist?

Last edited:
Interesting perspective. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about it. This would apply only to DO, correct and not if an applicant is waiting from an MD waitlist?
Correct, I’m under the impression AACOMAS and AMCAS don’t talk. You could theoretically be a student in both a DO and MD school simultaneously if you don’t require any financial aid.