AADSAS GPA question - B+ vs B-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drteeth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I noticed that in calculating GPA, AADSAS takes into account +'s and -'s from your transcript. For example, a B+ = 3.3 points, whereas a simple B = 3.0 points, while a B- = 2.7 points.

Now I'm sure this question has been asked a million times but I did some research and couldnt come up with an answer. Some schools have +'s but no -'s, while others have neither which could potentially put some students at an advantage. For example, Uni of FL only has +'s but no -'s. Clearly, those UF students are at a distinct advantage when AADSAS is calculating GPAs. Take a look at p.42 on this AADSAS instructions link which explains how the points work: http://www.adea.org/AADSAS/WebDocs/AppAADSASInstructions.pdf

With that said, does anyone know if or how this situation is counterbalanced so that some students are not at more of an advantage than others? According to the way AADSAS calculates my GPA would be improved by .12 if I only had +'s like those UF students...

Thanks for your comments!

Members don't see this ad.

I was under the impression that if your University has +/- scales that your grades are converted to the standard grading scale: A=4.0 B=3.0 C=2.0

Even though your University GPA might be 4.33 or something of that sort, AADSAS will say 4.0

I was under the impression that if your University has +/- scales that your grades are converted to the standard grading scale: A=4.0 B=3.0 C=2.0

Even though your University GPA might be 4.33 or something of that sort, AADSAS will say 4.0

I thought so too until I read the the AADSAS website. If you look at the bottom of p. 42 on the link http://www.adea.org/AADSAS/WebDocs/A...structions.pdf
it gives you an example of how you should calculate your GPA. In that example they use both +'s and -'s to calculate it...

Anyone else know how it works?

Members don't see this ad :)