AADSAS Questions for those who have applied before...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Utes

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1st - Question on research. I have been working in a lab for awhile doing neurological research. I personally have not written anything.... I just record data from the research that I help do. When AADSAS asks about publications, do they want publications that I have written, or that the primary researcher has written?

2nd - Where can I find the transcript matching form? I'd like to have my transcript ready to send on the first day the application is out, but the application from last year that was posted on SDN doesn't have this form.
Do I need a High School transcript for anything? I have my rank/percentile now.

and finally... A15. Has your education ever been interrupted or affected adversely for reasons other than deficiencies in conduct or academic perfomance?
If yes, please explain.

I'm debating whether this question wants to know why I took some semesters off, or if it just wants to know if I have a reason for low grades. For example, I had to take last fall off due to having surgery the first week of class. Should I mention this? I also missed 2 years for church service.

Thanks for your help in clarifying these questions. I would ask my pre-dental advisor but....well, she only really knows about the pre-med stuff.

I appreciate your responses,

Utes

Members don't see this ad.

Utes said:
1st - Question on research. I have been working in a lab for awhile doing neurological research. I personally have not written anything.... I just record data from the research that I help do. When AADSAS asks about publications, do they want publications that I have written, or that the primary researcher has written?

2nd - Where can I find the transcript matching form? I'd like to have my transcript ready to send on the first day the application is out, but the application from last year that was posted on SDN doesn't have this form.
Do I need a High School transcript for anything? I have my rank/percentile now.

and finally... A15. Has your education ever been interrupted or affected adversely for reasons other than deficiencies in conduct or academic perfomance?
If yes, please explain.

I'm debating whether this question wants to know why I took some semesters off, or if it just wants to know if I have a reason for low grades. For example, I had to take last fall off due to having surgery the first week of class. Should I mention this? I also missed 2 years for church service.

Thanks for your help in clarifying these questions. I would ask my pre-dental advisor but....well, she only really knows about the pre-med stuff.

I appreciate your responses,

Utes

your publications means the journals you have been published with with your name as an author.

matching form isnt available until the application comes out in mid-may.

hey Utes

In addressing your mysterious 2 year hiatus from school, just be forward. Tell the ADCOM where you went (even if it was Oklahoma, like me), that it was for the Church, then talk up the humanitarian service while downplaying the proselyting. Its not as though the ADCOMs are ignorant of what you were doing- so don't hide it- just frame it as an experience abroad with an opportunity to help some people out. It took me a while to remember all of my service activities, but they really added up, when I sat down to think about it.

Plus, if you learned a 2nd language, be sure to jump on that (especially if it is spanish) since providing oral health care to underserved minorities is such a huge priority with dental schools (as it should be).

About your research- if your name isn't listed on the article as the pi or even at the top of the page, you're not published. But definitely make known what you have done. Some schools just eat that stuff up.

Only a few schools require hs transcripts. Just check with the specific schools you're applying to. I think one or two might even want to know your SAT/ACT, but I'm not sure on that.

Best of luck :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey ute,

You will find the 2 year mission a big advantage when applying. Most other dent school applicants will be happy that they "made time" for spending 30 minutes a week at the local soup kitchen. So pat yourself on the back for spending two years of "service". As was mentioned earlier, play it light on the Preaching and emphasize the lessons learned in serving people.

As for the research, most schools I talked to had no interest in hearing about my extensive experiences in organic sythesis research. What they really wanted to hear was "problem solving" and "critical thinking". In some of my interviews I told a story about hitting a roadblock in a synthetic process, and the rationale I came up with to solve the problem. I also played up the angle that research is on the process of learning new knowledge, and how I will continue to use these critical thinking skills throughout my illustrious dental career.

best of luck. :thumbup:

Ever been down to Bryce Canyon? I'm from around there.

I was also MIA for 2 years! :laugh: southern Germany, it's beautiful baby. You could also expound upon learning to love and serve people from a variety of backgrounds.

I don't think many pre-dents actually make it so far as to be published, but anything you can talk impressively about in an interview will definately help. I mentioned doing research on the mosquito problem in Box Elder County when I spent my summers working for the abatement.

Congrats to Alex Smith! That'd be sweet if Bogut goes #1 too

msf41 said:
Hey ute...

Ever been down to Bryce Canyon? I'm from around there.

I love Bryce Canyon!! Have you ever been to Escalante? Its relatively close to where you live. Thats how I came up with my user name, "Gulch." I was wishing I were down in Coyote Gulch instead of working.

Did you hear about the 2 byu students who died in escalante last week? They found their bodies in a slot canyon pool near choprock. Probably just got in over their heads. Breaks my heart, but it was worse last night when I realized that I knew the John Anderson they were talking about (used to be in my church congregation). I don't know exactly what happened, but I expect they were canyoneering (maybe on their way to cathedral rock), were swimming in an icy cold pool, got tired, cramped up, couldn't get back to the ropes and drowned. All the same, I hope to make it down to the egypt area off hole in the rock road before dental school starts- this time with a little more reverence.

Gulch said:
I love Bryce Canyon!! Have you ever been to Escalante? Its relatively close to where you live. Thats how I came up with my user name, "Gulch." I was wishing I were down in Coyote Gulch instead of working.

Did you hear about the 2 byu students who died in escalante last week? They found their bodies in a slot canyon pool near choprock. Probably just got in over their heads. Breaks my heart, but it was worse last night when I realized that I knew the John Anderson they were talking about (used to be in my church congregation). I don't know exactly what happened, but I expect they were canyoneering (maybe on their way to cathedral rock), were swimming in an icy cold pool, got tired, cramped up, couldn't get back to the ropes and drowned. All the same, I hope to make it down to the egypt area off hole in the rock road before dental school starts- this time with a little more reverence.

I am grew up in Boulder, UT and went to high school in Escalante. When I first saw your avatar I thought it looked a lot like southern utah, but then I saw that you were from Sacramento so I didn't say anything. Too bad about the hikers. Seems like someone gets hurt down there every year in one way or another. It's much easier to get disoriented than one would think.