AAMC 7 Verbal Question 92

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chocolatebear89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Am I allowed to post AAMC questions here? If not, just lock it.

I am having trouble understanding the answer for AAMC Test 7 question #92.

The passage is about the individual being the final decision-maker.

#92: In countries in which the law says to drive on the left, people generally find it beneficial to drive on the left, and in coutnries in which the law says to drive on the right, people generally find it beneficial to drive on the right. This fact:
A) Supports central thesis
B) Neither supports or weakens central thesis
C) Is contrary to central
D) Indicates central needs modification

I picked A, but the answer is B. I understand the information doesn't FURTHER supports the central thesis, but it does support it right?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I feel in order to do well you have to take the exam knowing the type of answer AAMC normally looks for. I also recently took AAMC 7 and I also chose A for #92 and I was also wondering, WTF.

To start, it seems that for these questions if a statement supports the thesis it overwhelmingly does so and you won't say "Yea, that kinda pretty much says the same thing."

The conclusion I came to was that it sounds like a good answer but it really doesn't support the thesis. There was a statement made in the passage about how the government can make laws but when it comes down to it it's still up to the citizen to choose whether or not following that law is the right thing to do. I think in order for A to have been the answer the statement would have had to say that in countries where the law says you must drive on the left... some people still drive on the right. This statement would show the control that each person has over their own decisions as they aren't just following what they are told.

Hopefully you can get a better answer than that though because I'm still trying to work out the kinks in the Verbal section as well

Am I allowed to post AAMC questions here? If not, just lock it.

I am having trouble understanding the answer for AAMC Test 7 question #92.

The passage is about the individual being the final decision-maker.

#92: In countries in which the law says to drive on the left, people generally find it beneficial to drive on the left, and in coutnries in which the law says to drive on the right, people generally find it beneficial to drive on the right. This fact:
A) Supports central thesis
B) Neither supports or weakens central thesis
C) Is contrary to central
D) Indicates central needs modification

I picked A, but the answer is B. I understand the information doesn't FURTHER supports the central thesis, but it does support it right?

The passage is saying how people SHOULD make decisions. Just because statistics shows that ppl do things differently is not relevant. Its about instructing people to follow their own consciousness when making choices.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I have another issue with the same question. I chose D, "Indicates central needs modification."

I did not see this question as introducing new information. Just because the passage talked about driving on the left, and the question talked about driving on the right or the left, it seemed completely equivalent to me, and I thought the question was just asking how that information, as part of the passage, affected the passage's thesis.

Any tips on how to avoid this kind of mistake? Is it the case that for all questions whose answer choices say "weakens central thesis," "strengthens central thesis," etc., the information in the question should always be considered a new piece of information, even if it's similar to what was already offered in the passage?