AAMC #8 Essay 2 - Please critique this

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zut212

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
"A politician's lifestyle should reflect his or her political views."

Write a unified essay in which you perform the following tasks. Explain what you think the above statement means. Describe a specific situation in which a politician's lifestyle might not reflect his political views. Discuss what you think determines whether or not a politician's lifestyle should reflect his or her political views.

This is what I wrote:

The above passage states that a leader's lifestyle should reflect his or her political views, and the leader should not be a hypocrite. Without a doubt, leadership is done by example and not so much by rhetoric, and the author seems to believe this. However, there are times when a politician's lifestyle diverges with their politics.

Often is the case, we see that a politician's lifestyle may diverge with their political views in order to appeal to the voting constituency. A politician's apparent lifestyle under the watchful eye of media may fashion his/her life to be very relatable to the public in order to garner support for bills or to make it easier for the public to agree with the politician. The politician may engage in well-choreographed media shoots in an outdoors setting to appeal to an agrarian voting bloc, but their politics can involve loosened environmental standards or reduced subsidies to farmers.

Yet there is also another case where the politician's lifestyle does not converge with that of his political views, and that is when a compromise is achieved with a rival party. The politician has made a mental calculation and determined that the greatest good for the greatest number of people which is in line with his or her political ideas must come at a small cost to his intellectual integrity. This politician has ranked the issues at hand and has determined that the biggest component of this bill is not compromised of its principal at the expense of lesser provisions of the bill.

Clearly, politician's integrity and rigidity of his/her beliefs is what determines whether or not their lifestyle reflects their political views. A politician with integrity, wisdom, authenticity of character, and confidence in themselves will not have to hone their image or craft sound bytes for the media to garner votes. By doing so would come across as being inauthentic, and the politician would seem a little less charismatic than a politician who does not have to consciously be someone that they are not. Moreover, a politician rigidness of beliefs makes it very difficult for the politician to be morally flexible in sacrificing some of their principles for a greater good. This uncompromising politician, in their zeal for intellectual purity, is not able to invest a little of their intellectual integrity for the greater good of achieving their broader political views.

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure that this is your best essay. I think it's worse than the other one. Again, the first sentence is useless, and your first paragraph shows lack of depth. I like where you're going with the leadership by example, but I would have added onto that. Perhaps you could talk about how a politician who lives by his words appears more honest to his constituents and the voters, and how he may be able to persuade voters of his views if he is generally respected by them and not viewed as a hypocrite. Be free to bring in specific historical examples.

Again, you have two counterexamples which is unnecessary. Stick with one. Either one is fine, but again, I would go into a bit more depth. One scenario that pops up in my mind is a politician who argues for lesser restrictions on tobacco companies. A politician may detest smoking (lifestyle) but as a politician, his duty is to better the lives of his constituents. If his constituents are tobacco farmers, it only makes sense that he should support a view that is not consistent with his lifestyle.

That leads to the factor being the views of the constituents that the politician serves. I don't like the "integrity and rigidity" because that's more of a description of what happens, rather than what SHOULD happen. Remember, this essay is your view of when a politician's lifestyle should reflect his political views. You're just saying that an honest politician's lifestyle will reflect his political views, and a dishonest one's will not. These are opinion essays.