AAMC MCAT "r" long paper version vs. CBT - why is CBT better practice???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MelissaThompson

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
AAMC MCAT "r" paper long version has more passages - and if I do it on computer under timed conditions - why is it still suggested that I should use the current CBT for practice instead???

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

AAMC MCAT "r" paper long version has more passages - and if I do it on computer under timed conditions - why is it still suggested that I should use the current CBT for practice instead???

Thanks.
I imagine because the CBT is closer to the actual exam in formatting, so you are getting more practice doing what you will be doing test day.

I say do both, take as many practice tests as you are able to.

I liked the CBT practices for getting my score instantly at the end. I can't imagine in the stone age when people actually had to count how many they got wrong to figure out a score

Yeah - but in terms of stimulating real test-condition - isn't doing the long paper version on the computer the same thing? In fact - it will prepare you for more since you have to write down the answers instead of clicking....

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you expecting to just do the first 52 questions for BS/PS and the first 7 passages for VR to simulate the length of the current tests? I would say in terms of simulating the test taking experience, it wouldn't be a huge difference to do them on your computer and highlighting the answers as opposed to the current CBT. The only difference really is that on the CBT, the passage appears on the left side of the screen, the answers on the right and the two can be scrolled trough independently.

How do you have computer versions of the old exams. They exist as pdf's from what i've seen...

Yes - do them as PDFs on the computer. Read the passage & then write down the answers on a sheet of paper.

Is such small trivial difference really worth 250$ to get the real timed condition test?

Yeah - but in terms of stimulating real test-condition - isn't doing the long paper version on the computer the same thing? In fact - it will prepare you for more since you have to write down the answers instead of clicking....

Slightly confused, write down answers?

When you take one, you could compare it to aamc3 and decide from there. If you have them as pdfs only though, they might be pirated material in which case you shouldn't use them.

You pointed out the differences yourself - it's longer and in a PDF format so you would have to write out the answers. If you're just doing the tests for content review that's not a big deal, but if you're actually trying to prepare yourself for the test day experience then it's in your best interest to simulate the real thing as accurately as possible. Personally I think it's well worth spending the money to get at least the most recent couple of CBTs. By the time I took the exam I was already very familiar with the CBT format and didn't need to waste any time learning to navigate the interface, plus it was helpful to be able to get the scores immediately and see my performance broken down by subject.