AAMC timed versus un-timed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Groove

Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody noticed any large deviations in their scores when taking the AAMC exams timed versus un-timed? I've taken a couple of exams timed, and the rest un-timed, and haven't noticed any "large" deviations in score, other than improvements from studying over the summer, etc.. I would take them all timed if I could, but typically I have to take them a section at a time while I'm at work, and I frequently have to alt-tab into another application when the boss walks in ;) I basically, took a couple of the exams timed, to get a feel of the pace that I will need to set for myself on test day, and then have taken the rest at my leisure. I was curious as to whether anyone had seen a big difference in their scores.

Members don't see this ad.

But when you take them untimed do you still work at a realistic pace, or do you give yourself however long you need to figure a problem out? The timing doesn't matter as much as how honest you are with yourself. If you take the PS section untimed but only work for 95 minutes then you aren't going to do any better than if you took it timed. But if you work on it for 2 hours you should probably improve.