ABA BOARD ELIGIBILITY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carlosomdus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an anesthesia residency graduated from Boston University in 2004. Practiced anesthesia in the US from 2005 to 2011, then I moved to Colombia (South America) where I practiced anesthesia until 2015. This year I am back to the US. I never became Board Certified. Can I now become Board eligible? How?

Members don't see this ad.

I am an anesthesia residency graduated from Boston University in 2004. Practiced anesthesia in the US from 2005 to 2011, then I moved to Colombia (South America) where I practiced anesthesia until 2015. This year I am back to the US. I never became Board Certified. Can I now become Board eligible? How?
Contact the ABA, they will tell you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chances are the answer is you can't. That boat has sailed for you. Current regulations restrict board certification to within 7 years of graduation, and that applies to previous generations.

Ask the ABA. You might get lucky and qualify for some obscure exception.

Why did you never get certified?

Small point for residents/fellows, there is no such thing as "Board Eligible". You are either Board Certified or "In the System". Don't know who came up with the term. Maybe recruitment agencies?

I've seen the term "board eligible" on credentialing applications before. It's certainly a useful phrase with a specific meaning that everyone understands.

I thought anyone who'd passed the 7 year period of board eligibility (er, has "left the system"?) could go work/practice in a supervised environment for a year and get another 7 years. I was once told that a common reason to do non-ACGME fellowships was to get another stab at the boards. I heard that back in the days when you had 3 (?) tries at the anesthesia written, before the ABMS uniformized us into this 7-years-or-bust state.

The term "board eligible" was a designation to describe an individual's status within the ABA examination system that was used by the ABA for many years. I don't know when they discarded the term.