ABA fees for Pain Certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foxtrot

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question for the anesthesiologists out there who are doing pain. I am applying to take the pain boards for next September; However, I still have to take my oral boards in anesthesia in April of 2009. If you do not pass your oral boards (which hopefully wont' be an issue) does the ABA refund you the $450 application fee? On the ABA's website it says that the $450 is nonrefundable. It seems crazy to have to pay this kind of money before knowing if you passed your orals and having the possibility of losing the $450. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Members don't see this ad.

I assume non-refundable is what it means. Though you may still be able to use the application fee in the future if you pass your anesthesia orals later...

I have spoken with the ABA office about this very question. The answer is we are allowed to sign up for Pain Boards prior to passing Orals, BUT the application fee is NOT refundable if Orals are not passed.

I have spoken with the ABA office about this very question. The answer is we are allowed to sign up for Pain Boards prior to passing Orals, BUT the application fee is NOT refundable if Orals are not passed.

Thanks for the info. This is exactly what I wanted to know.