ABA Neurocrit Exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anbuitachi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what counts as neurocritical care...? does doing neuro cases count? stroke cases?

1649168624957.png

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I passed it through ABIM this past year. They were pretty clear that only time spent practicing as a neurointensivist counts. Maybe ABA is different but I doubt it given it’s the same administering board (ABPN). Time spent in the OR is not really the same as being the neurocritical care attending responsible for the patients ongoing care in an intensive care unit setting.

Reactions: 1 users
I passed it through ABIM this past year. They were pretty clear that only time spent practicing as a neurointensivist counts. Maybe ABA is different but I doubt it given it’s the same administering board (ABPN). Time spent in the OR is not really the same as being the neurocritical care attending responsible for the patients ongoing care in an intensive care unit setting.
Ok I was wondering because who is hiring people to staff Neuro ICU when they aren't boarded...? I guess only people w cc board but not Neuro crit care board. Almost impossible for a general anesthesiologist

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok I was wondering because who is hiring people to staff Neuro ICU when they aren't boarded...? I guess only people w cc board but not Neuro crit care board. Almost impossible for a general anesthesiologist

There has been a NCC certification offered through UCNS for a number of years now some are boarded through that organization or like you said have CC boards through medicine or anesthesiology.

Yeah, that document you posted in the OP is geared toward CCM boarded anesthesiologists who are taking the exam and becoming neurocrit boarded by grandfathering their prior neuro ICU experience.

Reactions: 1 user
I worked as a neurointensivist in a past life before ABAs neuro certification. The credentials needed at that time was CCM board and UCNS board, both of which I have although I gave up the UCNS