ABIM Board Eligibility with foreign residency + US fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CCM-MD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t be surprised if this becomes a reality in the future. I think nephrology would feel the biggest impact as it has the most number of IMG fellows that haven’t completed US residency training.

Source: Sign the Petition

More and more International medical graduates are joining fellowships in the US after completing their home country residency and getting their credentials verified. About half of the current fellows in nephrology and geriatrics underwent residency abroad. After years of struggle completing home country residency which is usually very competitive and joining ACGME fellowship in the USA the future of chances of staying and working in the USA for several doctors still looks bleak.

Options after fellowship:

The most common path in front of such doctors is to redo the residency in the US which is usually 3 years after which they get board eligible for the internal medicine/subspecialty field. Doing residency again is very challenging as they have to compete with applicants who are much younger with programs preferring those with a recent year of graduation.

The ideal option is to apply for jobs after fellowship which is associated with a lot of hurdles and is nearly impossible in the current situation even for those with a lot of experience in the field. The reasons for the difficulty to get the job are as follows:

Board eligibility/ Certification: The physician is not board-eligible/certified after the fellowship. As per ABIM guidelines, those candidates doing fellowship without US residency need to find a faculty position at the level of assistant professor or higher and work in the position for 3 years to be board eligible. Though this path seems reasonable it is met with a lot of difficulties. In the majority of cases, the hospital credentialing committees of the academic institutions will not accept the physician for a faculty position without board eligibility/certification.
State license requirements: Each state in the US has its criteria for physician licensing. Most physicians doing fellowship meet the criteria for licensing except one. The years of ACGME training required for licensure vary between 1-3 years among states with the majority of states needing 3 years which means those doing 1-year or 2-year fellowships are not eligible. Though there are provisions for waiver of such requirements in some states it is not clear.
J1 waiver: Another hurdle in this process is the inability to get a J1 waiver. The academic institutions that may accept such physicians are big, some of them in big cities which have a limited number of j1 waiver positions available under the Conrad 30 program. Here is a sample scenario: Dr. X is a fellow in nephrology looking for a faculty position in an academic institution to meet ABIM requirements. The majority of such institutions are located in places like New York, Chicago, California, Florida, and Texas where getting a waiver is extremely difficult with huge competition.

Do these experienced doctors need to go through residency again to prove themselves after such a huge amount of home-country experience and ACGME fellowship in the USA? This is not ideal in the current situation where there is a huge scarcity of physicians and a growing number of residency applicants every year. Each residency position these fellowship-trained doctors acquire is a lost opportunity for another young residency aspirant.

Some suggestions to solve these problems:

Revise the state licensing requirements taking into consideration these exceptionally talented physicians and provide them a way to attain licensure after completion of the fellowship.

Advise regulations to the hospital credentialing committee to be able to recruit such fellowship-trained doctors as faculty.

Allot more J1 waiver slots for academic institutions recruiting doctors for faculty pathways.

Enhance awareness among healthcare communities about this pathway.

Members don't see this ad.

"About half of the current fellows in nephrology and geriatrics underwent residency abroad"? I'm a little puzzled about where this guy gets his stats from. You guys know I've been a critic of nephrology fellowships at it's current state, but half of current fellows have no US residency is hard for even me to believe. 20-30% of current fellows seems more believable(still a lot). And I disagree with the author that IMGs who complete a US fellowship, without a US residency, are qualified to practice to medicine here.

1) First of all, you have no idea on the quality of their IM training in their home countries. Many of these countries have 1-2 year residency training program, which is not at all equivalent to the US model. you just have no idea on the quality/competency of applicant with no screening filters.

2) Secondly, and sadly, the reason these IMGs go straight into nephrology and geriatrics is because they are non-competitive specialties looking for warm bodies to do scut work. These specialties have no filter. It's actually a form of exploitation on a pool of desperate applicants looking for a way to get into the US system who are unable to match IM residency. Finishing a nephrology/geriatrics fellowship does not confer legitimacy or guarantee competency to practice medicine in the US that is safe/responsible for patient care.

Reactions: 1 users
Renal Promethus and I have had a chat about this. This is absolutely absurd and slimy. The United States Medical Education system (which as a whole is donkey manure, all the way from premed, medical school, residency and fellowship) is reaching an unprecedented low.

We get frustrated with Caribbean Medical Schools for giving out false promises (which they do, I hope they all go bankrupt), but this apocalyptic taking advantage of desperate people has extended to GME and fellowship.

Absolutely shameful.

By the way, for those of you reading this that don't know about this, neither did I before Renal Promethus brought it to my attention in another thread. i find nephrology to be a beautiful field of study but it has been made hideous by the way things are. We aren't talking bottom of the barrel fellowships here. Big university programs (admittedly not T10 or T20, but still), have non-US IM trained physicians in their nephrology positions.

Allow me to say, nephrology is akin to cardiology, pulmonology, endocrinology in clinical importance. It is not a specialty to skoff at by any measure.

This needs to stop.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
"About half of the current fellows in nephrology and geriatrics underwent residency abroad"? I'm a little puzzled about where this guy gets his stats from. You guys know I've been a critic of nephrology fellowships at it's current state, but half of current fellows have no US residency is hard for even me to believe. 20-30% of current fellows seems more believable(still a lot). And I disagree with the author that IMGs who complete a US fellowship, without a US residency, are qualified to practice to medicine here.

1) First of all, you have no idea on the quality of their IM training in their home countries. Many of these countries have 1-2 year residency training program, which is not at all equivalent to the US model. you just have no idea on the quality/competency of applicant with no screening filters.

2) Secondly, and sadly, the reason these IMGs go straight into nephrology and geriatrics is because they are non-competitive specialties looking for warm bodies to do scut work. These specialties have no filter. It's actually a form of exploitation on a pool of desperate applicants looking for a way to get into the US system who are unable to match IM residency. Finishing a nephrology/geriatrics fellowship does not confer legitimacy or guarantee competency to practice medicine in the US that is safe/responsible for patient care.

It is indeed possible to get ABIM certified with fellowship-only training. There is a pathway that one can practice in a university hospital "under supervision" for a few years to get cleared to take ABIM. And I have seen university hospitals taking these candidates and let them work very long clinical hours (that should not happen for an academic job) for a much lower pay. It is really bad...

I’m sure fellowship programs will defend their actions by arguing that they are helping these applicants get into the US medical system. They will not admit to exploitation. Of course if these applicants graduate and can’t land a residency, the fellowship take no responsibility either. It’s basically you take all the risks, I get night coverage for 2 years, no guarantees but at least it gives you hope.

Exploitation is a common theme in nephrology. It starts in fellowship and extends into private practice. You just don’t know about it. There are many neph groups out there who lure in a new recruits with empty promises, work him hard for 3 years offering typical low starting neph salary, and then not offer partnership. Onto the next victim. In fact, in areas with a lot of solo nephrologists, are byproducts of this exploitation as you just can’t trust anyone anymore. Sad that applicants are completely unaware of this dark side of nephrology.

Reactions: 1 user