ABMS from non primary background

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Downbytheicu

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a question about the possibility of becoming ABMS boarded from a non-primary background (gas/neuro/pmr). Does anyone have experience in this? I am currently in medical training from a well respected ACGME instutition, a very clear vision to do something that very few people are doing across the country but a huge demand, and, assuming I can make a case and/or network into an ACGME accredited fellowship (big assumption I know, but play along), is it possible to get ABMS certified without being from one of those 3 training pathways?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I know it was possible
I'm EM, and I took my pain boards via ABPMR.
Moving forward, ABPMR will only allow pmr folks to take pain boards.
ABA doesn't allow it.
Not sure about other 2.
Good luck

The answer, unfortunately, is a moving target. It used to be you would have no problem applying for the ABA pain medicine exam through the ABPMR or the ABPN. This has changed as of January 2014. Now, your primary board will need to cosponsor the pain medicine exam in order for you to be eligible. The ABEM has applied to ABMS to co-sponsor the exam. The ABR will be voting, likely soon, to move forward with the application to ABMS. I have not heard of other boards deciding to apply as of yet. So, basically, it depends on what your base field is which you did not tell us in your original post.