? about NBDE part 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dc-10

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are scores on this exam usually lower than on part 1 because the exam itself is more difficult, or because everybody puts all their effort into doing well on part 1 and just blows part 2 off because nobody really looks at it anyway? Any comments? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Part II is curved differently. If you look on the back of either a part I or II board score sheet, it tells you corresponding percentiles for each score for individual subjects and overall score. The average score is approximately 5 points lower in part 2. Off the top on my head, I think part I average is a 85 and part II is a 80. If you have taken part I you can look at the back of the score report it lists both tests if I remember right.

Don't bother studying much for part II... the pharm is easy, and the clinical section is ambigious and full of errors. Just use any old dental deck you can find. The test authors had the teeth charted and missing in the radiographs and vice-versa with the possible answers depending on which source you used. I was skeptical of some of their clinical judgements... but going through dental school clinics, that shouldn't be something new.