about to fail out of med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabedoc8

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so here is the situtation...i am a D.O. student who failed my first year of medschool, repeated the required classes successfully...just failed my second year of medical school...its not that i am lazy or stupid i just have a lot on my plate...i am married with three children and work to supplement income..with all of these failures what does my future as a doctor look like...if i do great on the boards and rotations will i still be able to get into a good residency?? i am interested in anestesia, radiology or IM... or am i better off dropping out and looking for another career option..if everything goes well i will repeat year two and graduate after six years of med school instead of 4...i do not want to even think about how much debt i will be in..any thoughtful insight is greatly appreciated...

Members don't see this ad.

so here is the situtation...i am a D.O. student who failed my first year of medschool, repeated the required classes successfully...just failed my second year of medical school...its not that i am lazy or stupid i just have a lot on my plate...i am married with three children and work to supplement income..with all of these failures what does my future as a doctor look like...if i do great on the boards and rotations will i still be able to get into a good residency?? i am interested in anestesia, radiology or IM... or am i better off dropping out and looking for another career option..if everything goes well i will repeat year two and graduate after six years of med school instead of 4...i do not want to even think about how much debt i will be in..any thoughtful insight is greatly appreciated...

Here's some financial advice, that I'm sure you probably don't need - quit your job. It has cost you two years of tuition (80,000 or so?) plus tuition. I can't imagine you've made more than 80,000 at your part time job.

That said, I totally understand your situation. If I were you I'd quit your job, concentrate on school, and see how it goes. And talk to a counselor about your residency options. I wouldn't bet on getting into rads or anesthesiology.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with the possibility of letting go of your side job. At this point it's costing you more than it's helping. Does your wife work? Is there family around that can help with the children?

I don't think you really need to drop out. Anesthesiology and rads may not be realistic options, but doing well on boards and during clinical years are going to be a must. And I'd probably say ACGME programs are not an option at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)

Dont quit...if you pass 2nd year, and pass the Comlex, you will at the LEAST get family practice..that is at least 100K a year once you graduate residency. I dont know what job you can get now that can pay that much in about 5 years. Anesthesiology and radiology is out of the question to be realistic. No way you can get in with two failed years (unless you are friends/related to a program director). DO IM program is still a possibility if you do well on the boards (at least average which is 500). I would not even risk an MD program (IM or Family) unless you get top 10% on the USMLE. So to be completely honest with you...You are looking at a DO family practice program and possibly IM with good board scores.

I am married as well and have 4 children (3 during my first 3 years and then a surprise right before my 4th year). So I know how you feel, other than the academic standpoint. However, I do agree that you need to quit your job if you want to save your medical career. You still have to study for boards and do well.

While I never worked while I was in medical school, my wife did and we maximized all of the loans that were available to us as well as apply to a large number of scholarships in order to at least get a couple. This will help with the finances. And you will certainly NOT be able to work during the clinical years.

If you want to go into real detail, then PM me and we can talk either through e-mail, chat, skype, or phone.

I think you are over stretched and the work is what is doing it.

Reactions: 1 user
There were over AOA 500 FP slots that went unfilled in the 2011 osteopathic match, so matching is possible if you cast a wide enough net. I also know a couple people who had failed a year of DO school and were able to get into FP and IM osteopathic programs with successful first time passes on boards and hard work in 3rd and 4th years.

Do not give up. get tutoring help, quit your side job, employ your spouse to help with kids more. It can be done.

I am in a similar situation, failing med school for personal reasons, and my school suggested I consider taking a leave of absence this semester rather than take a semesters worth of failing grades. Either way I'm going to have to repeat, but this way I won't have a bunch of F's on my transcript. Anyway during your leave you could work for a for the 6 or so months you'll have off and save up to supplement your income when you return to school.

I am married as well and have 4 children (3 during my first 3 years and then a surprise right before my 4th year). So I know how you feel, other than the academic standpoint.
I think you are over stretched and the work is what is doing it.

Thanks to everyone for their input. All of the insight posted was extremely useful and encouraging. Quiting my job is at the top of my list along with focusing on school and boards.

Same here - failed the last class of first year by 3 questions....repeated first year...averaged a 15% increase in scores, was right below the class average 2nd year, right below national average on boards --- matched my first choice ACGME FP residency, was competitive for IM (ACGME and AOA) and could have gone Emergency if I'd have been willing to move the family (I wasn't).

Failing two years may be a bit more challenging -- do well on the boards - at least average -- think long and hard about whether or not to take USMLE Step 1 but if you go ACGME, take Step 2 (tests are almost the same or so I've heard -- I didn't need it for Family).

Make sure you've got someone to cover you re: your family during 3rd year. That's the time to bust it and shine, go the extra mile, work and play well with others....get good LORs (which is what I did) and you can almost make up for rough sailing in the pre-clinical years....make sure you explain what happened in your ERAS application and throw a wide net.....

Best wishes....keep the faith....

Thanks to everyone for their input. All of the insight posted was extremely useful and encouraging. Quiting my job is at the top of my list along with focusing on school and boards.

Was curious how your situation played out, OP?

There was a student I went to LECOM with who also struggled with life's stressors. Had 4 kids and a wife and had a repeat a year of medical school due to academic issues.

I watched him struggle to balance all his responsibilities and we talked quite a bit since our kids went to the same school.

I just looked him up and he is now an Ophthomologist. Go figure!!! Having to repeat is NOT THE END OF THE WORLD. It happens more often than you would think.

Another one of my friends ended up doing first year twice and second year twice. He graduated at 6 years, passed the boards, and is not practicing. Not sure was his specialty is.

Fix why you are failing, do better, finish, and be the doctor you set out to be.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Medicine sucks. This is a blessing in disguise. Forge ahead on another career path.

I just looked him up and he is not an Ophthomologist. Go figure!!! Having to repeat is NOT THE END OF THE WORLD. It happens more often than you would think.

I was like.. wait, what? But then realized you must mean now* an ophthalmologist.

As for OP: Quit your job, work hard, and be optimistic. When you get out you'll be making 160 a year and 200+ if you're willing to go rural, which I imagine you would be willing to do for at least a few years if it's go rural or never be a doctor and live under 120k debt for decades and decades.

Medicine sucks. This is a blessing in disguise. Forge ahead on another career path.

I kind of have to agree with you. For OP, I do sincerely hope the best for you but unfortunately your situation is a tough one. If you have failed first year, that will have to be reported, and now you are going to have to repeat second year, so that's another serious red flag.

There is no question that you need to quit your job, and it's not just a matter of how much more you'll have to pay in tuition but also whether you'll be able to get a decent residency and pay your loans back.

The way things are, there is a lot of competition for residency positions out there. You have a lot on your plate as well. It's uncertain whether you'll be able to do as well as you need to for the rest of med school.

Also once you graduate, it's very uncertain whether you'll be able to land the residency you want. I would not bet on rads or anesthesia. IM/FM are possible, but not certain given the unfortunate failures.

Honestly, if I were you, I would look into a midlevel role, particularly PA. They make decent $, you may be able to get some of your credits transferred, and they won't have to deal with the disaster that medicine has become.

I could be like the others and just tell you oh ya go ahead you can do it, but do you really want to go another 4 years, with the possibility that you may not match? I think there were 38,000 applicants for 24,000 spots this last match. You are also a DO so unfortunately that does make you a bit less competitive.

I would seriously consider the PA route - it'll be less of a headache, you'll have a pretty secure job, less time to goal, faster approach to a decent paying job. GL!

If you are going to be successful in medicine I think it's important that you answer the following question:

What about your situation is going to change to allow you to be successful in residency?

It sounds like perhaps you are trying to answer this now but getting into a residency program will hinge on you being able to convince them that you've made the appropriate changes to be successful.

I could be like the others and just tell you oh ya go ahead you can do it, but do you really want to go another 4 years, with the possibility that you may not match? I think there were 38,000 applicants for 24,000 spots this last match. You are also a DO so unfortunately that does make you a bit less competitive.

I would seriously consider the PA route - it'll be less of a headache, you'll have a pretty secure job, less time to goal, faster approach to a decent paying job. GL!

Just to clarify, the numbers you present here include all of the FMG as well. A DO grad, for the most part, is more likely to match than an FMG. The DO only really puts one at a disadvantage for the more competitive specialties and locations (unfortunately, 2 of the 3 OP mentioned fits into that category).

Also, why I think it may be good to think about alternative paths, what makes one think PA school? In terms of academic difficulty, PA sounds like it's almost up to par with med school and the admissions game is no cake walk either. What do you think a failing med school transcript would look like to a PA admissions committee? Competition is hot in that arena too.

OP needs to commit. The past can't be changed so no use pining over it. You started this journey for a reason. Remember that reason. If that still stokes your fire, do what you have to do to get back on the horse and put forth your best effort from here on forward with priorities set. If your gut says "F it, move on..." then follow that.

You're here asking about it, so I think you still want this. Do it. Don't let fear stand in the way. Barrel through that $hit.

EDIT: just saw how old this post is. Oh well...

I dont think OP would be getting in to PA school. It is not for med school dropouts. I applied at the same time as for med school and it was quite competitive.

Quit your job OP this is a no brainer and buckle down and get to work.

I dont think OP would be getting in to PA school. It is not for med school dropouts. I applied at the same time as for med school and it was quite competitive.

You would be surprised at how many med school faculty recommend the PA route to failing medical students. I have always thought this was an unrealistic recommendation because PA programs are very competitive, they have plenty of applicants, and I doubt they feel obligated to take medical school dropouts.

Reactions: 1 user
working and medical school are not compatible.

I've heard some people tutor in the evenings/weekends for extra income, but I can't imagine that being more than a 5-10 hour commitment a week. Personally, I wouldn't do anything other than focus on your studies because in the end, the paltry money you make right now will pale in comparison to the lost wages you'll receive by "settling" for a less lucrative specialty, if your goal was a high-paying specialty that is.

What can you do with 2 years of medical school coursework completed (all courses passed)? Can you transfer those credits anywhere like into another program or are those pretty much 2 years wasted?

What can you do with 2 years of medical school coursework completed (all courses passed)? Can you transfer those credits anywhere like into another program or are those pretty much 2 years wasted?

Doubtful, unless you transfer them to a different program within the same school