About to start pharmacy school, how to resign from part-time job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmlyDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I work at a ymca, and have been working there part time for 7 years (since i was 16). I've wanted to quit for the last year, but needed the money (what little money it paid). I've also been working as a part-time pharmacy technician for a chain for the past 5 months.

I don't see myself working at the ymca once I officially start pharmacy school, I need to move on. And the only time I could work there is during breaks when I'm back in my home-town.

I guess I have anxiety about leaving since I've worked there since I could legally work, how do I inform my boss that I'm resigning (via email)? I've already hinted to her in person this past fall that I planned on leaving.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't worry about stepping on any toes. No manager would actually expect a young, student, part-time employee to stay there until retirement. I would do it in person as a professional courtesy. Just ask your general manager or whoever is in charge to schedule a sit-down. Just tell them that you're moving away for school and be respectful. It's time for you to move on, and they should understand that.

As for working during breaks, I would do that a pharmacy if at all possible. No one will ever care about your part time job at the Y once you start school.

If they know you got into school, they should assume you will leave. Don't do it over email. Just walk into their office and tell them, and give them at least two weeks notice. This is a very common, normal thing.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Talked to my boss in person this afternoon. She put me down as available for rehire if I should ever decide to return.

Reactions: 1 user
i'd probably keep the job so you have a place to work after pharmacy school

oh-no-you-didnt-10.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Lol I totally agree. As a matter of fact, that's not a bad Plan A. Right now you have no loans, great hours, no stress, weekends off and great vacation. You're ahead of the game. Anyone who considers going to pharmacy school in this supersaturated market..............