ABPM in-training exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

txlioness

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone using anything in particular for the in-training exam? Or are y'all just running through the typical review material as usual for boards, etc

I know some of my co-residents act like its not a big deal and claim they didn't study for it. I don't know whether to believe them or not and they were less than helpful in saying what they used to review, if anything. Anywho, I know the purpose of the exam is to assess your strengths and weaknesses as your training progresses.

But shouldn't you try to do your best just as with any other exam? Just my opinion.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is anyone using anything in particular for the in-training exam? Or are y'all just running through the typical review material as usual for boards, etc

I know some of my co-residents act like its not a big deal and claim they didn't study for it. I don't know whether to believe them or not and they were less than helpful in saying what they used to review, if anything. Anywho, I know the purpose of the exam is to assess your strengths and weaknesses as your training progresses.

But shouldn't you try to do your best just as with any other exam? Just my opinion.
Just a disclaimer, I didn't take the ABPM in-training exam and don't plan on taking it but I did take the ABPS in-training exam. We had a similar discussion about whether or not to study with our first-years and the consensus among 2nd and 3rd year residents was we didn't study for it. I think like you mentioned that the exam is best used to judge where your strengths and weaknesses are as you progress. My take is that I should be reading and keeping up with literature without directly studying for the test. Do I plan on studying for the real deal? Yes. Do I plan on studying for the ABPS in-training exam next year? No.