Abscess: histologic features and structure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IndigoBerry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

I'm studying ABSCESSES and I'm having some troubles understanding how they are exactly done.

The textboox I've been using u is Pathologic Basis of Disease, first volume - and unfortunately, it does not describe abscesses really accurately.

By doing some researches on the net, I came up with the following.

An abscess is a collection of purulent exudate or "pus" in a newly formed cavity. The formation of this area is probably due to the liquefactive necrosis of the cells (caused by the damage, but to which contribute also the infiltrating neutrophils and bacteria that may be present).
Note that collection of pus in naturally existing anatomical cavity is well distinguished from an abscess and it's more correctly known as empyema.

So, an abscess is a pattern of purulent inflammation in which you may recognize:

1) a "core" made up of pus. Pus consists of inflammatory, plasma-derived exudate; bacteria, most of which are still alive; tissue debris, most of which run into liquefactive necrosis; and above all, an important percentage of leukocytes, in particular neutrophils which have been massively attracted to the damaged site. These neutrophils in pus are going toward necrosis or are already dead.
(Because of this, it's generally correct to assume that abscess - and purulent inflammations in general - are associated to infections).

2) a "halo" of living neutrophils;

3) an outer region of connective tissue made up of granulation tissue (which consists of fibroblasts, new blood vessels which do NOT reach the abscess but just surround it).

I'm having troubles concerning the third layer: I'm not sure if this granulation tissue gives rise to scar tissue or not.

So, is it correct to say that an abscess is provided with a "capsule" of fibrous-connectival tissue, walling off the pus?

Many thanks for your attention, I hope you'll lend me a hand!

Members don't see this ad.