Academic dishonesty and medical licensing

NotAProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
Staff member
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I was an undergrad I broke the academic dishonesty code of my college. This was a one-time stupid decision and I took full responsibility for it. Long story short, I was allowed to pass my course and obtain my degree. My infraction does not appear on my transcript although it may be on my academic record.

Fast forward now to my final year of medical school. After learning my lesson I have kept my nose clean and have performed with the utmost integrity. I've matched into a residency program and I now have to apply for a training license. I understand that I do have to disclose my infraction on my application. My question is this: do you think it will prevent the licensing authorities to grant me a license?

My medical school record and criminal records are impeccable.

Thanks for your advice!

I doubt this will have any effect. In general, the only thing that licensing boards will hold against you is a legal conviction, or some major event in medical school. Cheating once in the past, paying your dues, and getting past it should not be a problem, especially for just a training license.

Members don't see this ad.