MD & DO academic dismissal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JimBone905

OMS4
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello, Im a pre med student with a 3.4 cgpa and 3.5 sgpa at cuny college (upward trend). registered for my mcat and am looking to apply for next years cycle.

200 hours clinical volunteering
100 hours working at a food pantry, 30 hours tutoring
2 years worth of chemistry research with a poster and possible publication.

I have some other ec's that i havent listed such as being an athlete and musician, but my main concern other than my mcat is my student record.

my freshman year of college i was academically dismissed but readmitted to the same cuny and raised my gpa up to this point (no grade replacement). Also, at the beginning of my sophomore year, a cease and desist order was filed against me. I am worried med schools will see the cease and desist and think i am an unethical candidate and close my application immediately.

Currently a 5th year senior doing a DIY post bacc with a 3.8 gpa+ trend the last 2 years

I am wondering how badly these red flags will hurt my chances at either do or md and if i should even bother trying.
The academic dismissal is not to worry about. You've redeemed yourself on that score.

The cease and desist order is harder to interpret. I have a feeling this is something med schools don't see. But IF they do, it can be worrisome. There are two sides to every story and while on the one hand the C&D could have been slapped on you by a vengeful ex-SO, it could also mean that you're a stalker.

This is something best answered by a lawyer. Where's @AnotherLawyer when you need him/her???

Can you give us more info about this cease and desist order? Most schools ask about and search for criminal convictions. My lawyer brain does not associate a cease and desist order with a criminal conviction, but maybe I'm missing something. You can PM me if you're more comfortable.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The academic dismissal is not to worry about. You've redeemed yourself on that score.

The cease and desist order is harder to interpret. I have a feeling this is something med schools don't see. But IF they do, it can be worrisome. There are two sides to every story and while on the one hand the C&D could have been slapped on you by a vengeful ex-SO, it could also mean that you're a stalker.

This is something best answered by a lawyer. Where's @AnotherLawyer when you need him/her???

Your former assumption is the case. It was an ex who thought I would defame her and took pre-emptive measures to make sure I didnt. I haven't seen or heard her in more than 2 years. She as just trying to be spiteful I think.... i have been in a relationship with another person since then for 2 years and would hate to see something like this ruin my chances at becoming a md or do. What do you suggest I do?

Your former assumption is the case. It was an ex who thought I would defame her and took pre-emptive measures to make sure I didnt. I haven't seen or heard her in more than 2 years. She as just trying to be spiteful I think.... i have been in a relationship with another person since then for 2 years and would hate to see something like this ruin my chances at becoming a md or do. What do you suggest I do?
Talk to a lawyer.

If I saw that someone had a cease-and-desist order on their application, I would pull them aside after the interview and want to find out what this was all about.

How this was answered would determine your fate

If I saw that someone had a cease-and-desist order on their application, I would pull them aside after the interview and want to find out what this was all about.

How this was answered would determine your fate

So I went to my dean's office and they told me it was actually filed by the school as a no conduct order. She said that I did not violate any school policies and that it was an informal document and that I do not need to report it to the medical schools. I would assume that me and I do not have to mention it since it was not IA, correct?

So I went to my dean's office and they told me it was actually filed by the school as a no conduct order. She said that I did not violate any school policies and that it was an informal document and that I do not need to report it to the medical schools. I would assume that me and I do not have to mention it since it was not IA, correct?
Sounds correct to me.

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds correct to me.

I'm sorry to bring up this thread again, but I was reading that even though it is not on my record, there is an informal document in the student affairs office stating that this person and I should not have any interaction on campus or else there would be formal institutional action. Even though this was an informal warning, should i still report it as IA on my application?

The story is that an old ex of mine assumed I had information on her that she thought I would release so she went to the dean and next thing I know I'm in the dean's office. I was not found guilty of anything so it was basically an informal warning but it is stillon an unofficial record, like a letter sitting in a folder.

I'm not sure if my college would disclose this information upon a medical schools request. It shouldn't show up on any letters of rec or my transcript, so I am hesitant on whether or not I should include it as an IA.

How much would it hurt my chances if I were to mention this on my application? Would having two IA on my application be lethal?

@Goro your advice would be appreciated, Thank you

I'm sorry to bring up this thread again, but I was reading that even though it is not on my record, there is an informal document in the student affairs office stating that this person and I should not have any interaction on campus or else there would be formal institutional action. Even though this was an informal warning, should i still report it as IA on my application?

The story is that an old ex of mine assumed I had information on her that she thought I would release so she went to the dean and next thing I know I'm in the dean's office. I was not found guilty of anything so it was basically an informal warning but it is stillon an unofficial record, like a letter sitting in a folder.

I'm not sure if my college would disclose this information upon a medical schools request. It shouldn't show up on any letters of rec or my transcript, so I am hesitant on whether or not I should include it as an IA.

How much would it hurt my chances if I were to mention this on my application? Would having two IA on my application be lethal?

@Goro your advice would be appreciated, Thank you
If you can get a letter form your Dean, stating that you are innocent of everything, and that this was the result of a misunderstanding, then you'd really have no worries.

If you can get a letter form your Dean, stating that you are innocent of everything, and that this was the result of a misunderstanding, then you'd really have no worries.

I'm not sure that's possible since there was never a question about blame. The only thing in that folder is a order of no contact that I have with the other student and no other information on the actual situation. The informal discussion that me and my dean had discussing this decision never went past that.

I talked to my dean and he said that this is not on my transcript or official record and I do not need to disclose the information even though it is something that may be found by a school if they were to investigate by going to the college and asking about it. However, he tells me that this never happens and I shouldnt worry about it.

However, I do know that schools ask to report stuff like this even though it is not on my school record as an IA. They said if I were to report it, all it should say is that there was an order of no conduct issued to both parties on the basis that we do not want to interact with each other on campus grounds and that further contact WOULD result in IA to either party.

I want to know if this is something I should mention as an IA and if it would hurt my chances either way.

I'm not sure that's possible since there was never a question about blame. The only thing in that folder is a order of no contact that I have with the other student and no other information on the actual situation. The informal discussion that me and my dean had discussing this decision never went past that.

I talked to my dean and he said that this is not on my transcript or official record and I do not need to disclose the information even though it is something that may be found by a school if they were to investigate by going to the college and asking about it. However, he tells me that this never happens and I shouldnt worry about it.

However, I do know that schools ask to report stuff like this even though it is not on my school record as an IA. They said if I were to report it, all it should say is that there was an order of no conduct issued to both parties on the basis that we do not want to interact with each other on campus grounds and that further contact WOULD result in IA to either party.

I want to know if this is something I should mention as an IA and if it would hurt my chances either way.
I think that if you explained it like you did here, then you'd be OK.

Reactions: 1 user
I think that if you explained it like you did here, then you'd be OK.

Do you think I would need to at all or should i just leave it out?

Sorry again for so many replies. Thank you for your time