Academic Honesty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marshalney

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have an open question to anyone who cares to contribute.

Backstory: I had a medical school interview a few weeks ago where each applicant was asked what he/she would do if they saw a fellow classmate cheating. This being an interview, everyone's answer fell into either the 'report the person' or 'don't name the cheater but anonymously alert the prof to the fact that cheating was going on' category. I answered that I'd report the person if he/she wouldn't turn himself/herself in. Despite being super focused and in interview mode, this question got to me on a personal level...i.e. what would I actually REALLY do in that scenario. I honestly believe my answer is the right thing to do and I know I picked the "right" answer from an interview standpoint, but after looking up some responses by people here on SDN I see there is a pretty wide range of opinions.

I sparred with a few members on a different thread about the 'cheating friend dilemma' ( http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=679473&highlight=cheating ) but I think I might have been bickering about situations downstream of the real issue, which, in my mind, is: How important is academic honesty really? And do medical students have a personal responsibility to maintain it not only in themselves, but in others?

Members don't see this ad.