Academic Misconduct

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jimmmybrown

Reaction score
Hi,

So basically during the summer between my freshman and sophomore year, I got caught cheating on a Chem-1 final. Since then I have retaken the class. I know that this looks bad on an med application however wanted advice on what I can do to help make this seem like an outlier event and not a true indication of my character.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

So basically during the summer between my freshman and sophomore year, I got caught cheating on a Chem-1 final. Since then I have retaken the class. I know that this looks bad on an med application however wanted advice on what I can do to help make this seem like an outlier event and not a true indication of my character.
I will sound flippant: don't ever do it again. Take your punishment maturely, and remember you will have to report this in your application.

“Make this SEEM like an outlier event”???
Stop focusing on appearances and do whatever you need to do to make sure this WAS an outlier event.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I recently got an IA for cheating and am starting my sophomore year. I was wondering what possible things I can do over the next 2-3 years before applying to med school to help my application. Of course not cheating again and getting basically all A’s is very important, however this isn’t enough. Are there certain actions med school ADCOMS want to see when an action like this occurs?

Was it in a class related to your medical school pre-requisites?

It's an uphill battle at this point. Ideally, you'd want letters from someone that can explain your growth, you need to make sure that you've completely owned up to your cheating and truly accepted it as a mistake. This latter is important both for you and how you approach talking about it, but also to make sure there aren't lingering issues with faculty you have in classes. IME, nothing sources people on trusting a student (and writing them strong letters) than someone who cheated and then fought the issue.

Outside of that, think about ways to focus on and demonstrate your ethics. At the root of the issue is the question "if they cheated once, will they do it again?" with concerns about whether you'd be dishonest in future situations where the impacts could be far more harmful to those around you (like, for example, patients).

Reactions: 1 users
The previous responses you received reflect the fact you started sophomore year. Many of us who serve on adcoms have given our advice. If you are looking for a magic bullet, there isn't one other than expressing contrition and learning from your mistakes.

Reactions: 1 users
Perhaps volunteer for your school’s ethics committee or academic council.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I would say you probably need like 3 or 4 gap years as well

I plan on taking a gap year and applying after my senior year. Do you think that from now until then (3 years) is enough time? I also plan on serving on my schools honor council, becoming a TA, and working with the dean to get a letter of recommendation from him. And of course never cheating, plagiarizing, or any of that again

The previous responses you received reflect the fact you started sophomore year. Many of us who serve on adcoms have given our advice. If you are looking for a magic bullet, there isn't one other than expressing contrition and learning from your mistakes.

I am not looking for a magic bullet. I know that what I did was wrong and will impact me in the future. However, I do plan on applying in about 3 years and think that I can prove that in 3 years I am not the same person.

I plan on volunteering at several hospitals, working in a free clinic, becoming a TA and talking to my students about how they should first come to me to discuss struggles in a class before resorting to cheating, serving on my schools ethics committees, and working with the dean over the next few years to get a letter of recommendation.

Do you suggest doing anything else?

I plan on volunteering at several hospitals, working in a free clinic, becoming a TA and talking to my students about how they should first come to me to discuss struggles in a class before resorting to cheating, serving on my schools ethics committees, and working with the dean over the next few years to get a letter of recommendation.
This is just cookie cutter premed activities. Why do you think these will help resolve an IA from cheating?

I agree with vox in that a reasonable way to get past this on an application is with life experience. If you really want to pursue medicine, take 3+ gap years and invest time into an activity that requires honesty, integrity, and building a rapport with leaders in education.

Reactions: 1 user
This is just cookie cutter premed activities. Why do you think these will help resolve an IA from cheating?

I agree with vox in that a reasonable way to get past this on an application is with life experience. If you really want to pursue medicine, take 3+ gap years and invest time into an activity that requires honesty, integrity, and building a rapport with leaders in education.

While I understand this, I believe that a person could change over 3-4 years. People change everyday. I have changed a lot since I cheated. Adding 3-4 years on top of undergrad will set me back greatly and I simply don’t believe I need 8 years to prove myself

I think that working as a TA to help students understand the implications of their actions can help show my commitment to integrity. Being a grader/teacher also allows me to see things from a different perspective. I can for example understand: why is cheating so detrimental?

Working on an honor council with individuals part of the office of the dean of students can also help me remind people of what their priorities should be and remind them of the consequences of their actions.

I thought that academic misconduct was the big one that made it nearly impossible to get in

On the AMCAS 2024 handbook it says:

“Medical schools require you to answer the question accurately and provide all relevant information. Medical schools understand that many individuals learn from the past and emerge stronger as a result.”

Everyone makes mistakes and people learn from these mistakes. Mistakes like this can be a turning point in someone’s life for the better

While I understand this, I believe that a person could change over 3-4 years. People change everyday. I have changed a lot since I cheated. Adding 3-4 years on top of undergrad will set me back greatly and I simply don’t believe I need 8 years to prove myself

I think that working as a TA to help students understand the implications of their actions can help show my commitment to integrity. Being a grader/teacher also allows me to see things from a different perspective. I can for example understand: why is cheating so detrimental?

Working on an honor council with individuals part of the office of the dean of students can also help me remind people of what their priorities should be and remind them of the consequences of their actions.
I agree with you. That said, let me expound on a couple of points that others have made and add my own perspective.

1) You've gotten some flack for calling this an "outlier" event, and while I don't think you meant it in the way it was interpreted, I think you need to be careful to not use this terminology. Even if this is an outlier event, "don't cheat on a test" is a lesson that most people don't need firsthand experience of getting caught to realize is wrong. Any attempt to pass off an excuse like "this was a one time thing," "I panicked and it will never happen again," "I had a lot going on in my personal life and made a mistake"... all of those and you would lose all respect from me. Yes, we were all young and dumb once, but this is the one mistake that everyone knows is a big no-no, so regardless of the circumstances you don't get to pass this off as an outlier. You really need to own this mistake, recognize that what you did and the thought process that led to you making that mistake was wrong, and convey what you have learned.

2) I agree that working with the honor council would go a long way. Anything that shows how you value ethics in the classroom would be helpful.

3) While everyone correctly has identified time and a clean record going forward as being the most important factors to moving past this, there is one other very important factor--having a very strong all-around application, including your stats. Remember, this is a numbers game where you not only have to prove that you're worthy of getting into medical school, but you're also MORE worthy than all the other applicants who are going to get rejected. So if you have just an average application and you also have this glaring red flag, they could absolutely believe that you've likely moved past this but choose to pass you over for someone else who doesn't have this red flag. There are just way more qualified applicants out there than med school spots, so you are going to need to have something in your application that stands out to make them decide that you're worth the risk. Guess who is more likely to get the benefit of the doubt, someone with a 3.8/520 or someone with a 3.5/507? You're already behind the 8-ball because you have one F in your GPA. Do not make the mistake believing that you can overcome this mistake with an overwhelming number of EC hours. If you overload yourself with ECs and your academics stumble any further, you will create a giant hole for yourself that will be much more difficult to escape.

Reactions: 5 users