Academic Psych: Re: Job Benefits (Kid's Tuition?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

digitlnoize

Rock God
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Searched around and didn't see the answer to this so I thought I'd see if some of our academically employed posters might know...

Is it common for academic psych jobs to offer free or reduced tuition to children of faculty? How about a favorable admission process? If so, any idea what places?

I've heard rumors of these types of things and am betting that given the child psych shortage, that if one wanted to do academic child psych it might be possible to build these sorts of things into contracts...maybe?

I'm in the rather unique and somewhat unfortunate position of being about to finish fellowship, with a 10th grader, who right now is thinking MD/PHD, but who the hell knows. Anyways, it occurred to me that this might be a way to save on her college costs and help grease the admission wheel.

I do enjoy teaching, although I'm not a huge research guy, I could learn to be if I were allowed to pursue my interests (ADHD, electronics, video games, social media, high functioning autism, anxiety)...

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

The only times I 've heard of free faculty kid tuition has been at the small private liberal arts-type places. I don't think any of them have child psych programs...

As I said another place, I have a faculty appointment with the local major university medical school (also my alma mater and where I'm paying tuition for a child), and it doesn't even get me a discounted football ticket or parking spot.

University of Chicago offers up to the price of UofC tuition (which is quite high) for kids of faculty to go to college. They also offer you a chance > snowball's in Hell of getting into the Lab School. UofC is very Ivory Tower education focused though so it's not a huge shock, although I think its great they still do it in this day and age. I know when I was a kid Northwestern was offering free tuition at NW for faculty, but that was 20 years ago, unclear if it still exists.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
At my undergrad, well known top-whatever private school I knew some people who got a big tuition discount (and presumably favorable view from selection committee) bc parent worked for the med school, but i think they had to have some sort of academic title and not just be a clinical instructor or something

I know of a large research university where you could be anything from a custodian to a department chair and get half off tuition for your children and yourself.

U of Miami had offered me free tuition for all kids anywhere accepted. Pay is on the low-end though. I have no kids near college, so it was not a good option.

What do you mean "anywhere accepted"? As in accepted to any university even if not UM? Also, do you know if this was unique to the psych department or does it apply to parents in other departments as well?

What do you mean "anywhere accepted"? As in accepted to any university even if not UM? Also, do you know if this was unique to the psych department or does it apply to parents in other departments as well?
this is obviously not going to be specific to the psych department! even if their psych department is especially corrupt

Must vary a good deal by institution as well as by your faculty line. My dad is research faculty at a med school and he got some tuition support for all of us kids for undergrad and grad school even though none of us went to his school for any of our degrees. I don't think it was as much as half though but it was a helpful chunk of change.

I'm clinical faculty at a different med school and tuition support is a standard benefit here as well. It's not full ride, but I think the amount of the benefit is equivalent to half tuition at this institution. Which is for sure a helpful chunk of change. It doesn't have to be written into anyone's individual contract, it's a standard benefit.

I don't think there is any formal boost for admissions but there probably is an informal one if you are personal friends with the dean of admissions. I know for sure two children of faculty at selective med schools who, suspiciously, were accepted *only* to the Med Skool of Dad and not to any other institution, including 'safeties' which were significantly less selective.

I don't think there is any formal boost for admissions but there probably is an informal one if you are personal friends with the dean of admissions. I know for sure two children of faculty at selective med schools who, suspiciously, were accepted *only* to the Med Skool of Dad and not to any other institution, including 'safeties' which were significantly less selective.

Hah, a few years ago a graduate of my medschool (Carib) matched into integrated plastics with a 205 Step 1. And I'm sure I saw a questionable ENT spot in this year's match stats. They must have been Michelangelo in the OR.

I don't doubt it. Just as in most areas of life, knowing the right people makes all the difference.

Vanderbilt had the same benefit as U of Chicago--they would reimburise tuition for any university up to Vandetbilt's tuition for children of faculty. I didn't take the job, but it is a nice perk.

Vanderbilt had the same benefit as U of Chicago--they would reimburise tuition for any university up to Vandetbilt's tuition for children of faculty. I didn't take the job, but it is a nice perk.

These perks are actually bordering on life-changing for folks that want to have lots of kids. I know a surgery attending who was working constantly for decades largely to pay for his 4 kids to all go to ivy league schools without debt. Had he worked for one of these academic institutes he could have made 100-150k less a year, had residents cover his call instead of having to be there himself, and still come out about even on money! All while probably lowering his blood pressure and adding a few years to his life.

Where I did residency I heard that faculty could send their kids to the undergraduate university for free. Possibly even to the medical school, too, but I'm not certain on that.

Duke has a very generous tuition benefit. Basically, you get free tuition to Duke (of your kid gets in) or the equivalent at any other university. For two kids.

But you have to work there five years to get it. Too late for your 10th grader.

University of Chicago offers up to the price of UofC tuition (which is quite high) for kids of faculty to go to college. They also offer you a chance > snowball's in Hell of getting into the Lab School. UofC is very Ivory Tower education focused though so it's not a huge shock, although I think its great they still do it in this day and age. I know when I was a kid Northwestern was offering free tuition at NW for faculty, but that was 20 years ago, unclear if it still exists.

In addition to this, children of faculty/staff get half-price tuition at the Lab School (thus why most of the students at the Lab School are kids of university workers).

I heard Stanford has a 50-75% tuition reduction if you are on staff and your kid goes to Stanford. I also heard the same if you're on staff at University of Southern California, but 100% tuition covered for undergrad and graduate school at USC, including medical and pharmacy. Not sure how true they are though since I never bothered to verify the information myself.

EDIT: Verified for USC (https://benefits.usc.edu/education/):
But the educational benefit that most full-time faculty and staff most appreciate is Tuition Assistance – the benefit that allows us (or our eligible children) to earn a USC degree 100% tuition-free (and spouses 50% tuition-free).