Accept offer or wait for others?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTMom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My daughter applied to a number of DPT programs in the mid-atlantic to southern region. She has been accepted to 3 and has not heard from the others. The problem is that the programs she has been accepted to want a response by January 20th with a sizeable deposit. Is it appropriate for her to call the others to ask if she is being considered? I wish there was a standardized date for acceptance so she could have more time to weigh her options. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

My daughter applied to a number of DPT programs in the mid-atlantic to southern region. She has been accepted to 3 and has not heard from the others. The problem is that the programs she has been accepted to want a response by January 20th with a sizeable deposit. Is it appropriate for her to call the others to ask if she is being considered? I wish there was a standardized date for acceptance so she could have more time to weigh her options. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

Have your daughter (not you) call the other schools and ask for an update on her application status. That's entirely appropriate.

Better yet ask for an extension. most schools will give you one if you need it as ur daughter is a college student and can't afford to shell out money like paper. So this is ur 2nd option

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same boat. I got accepted to one school so far, and they want a $500 deposit by 1/20. Problem is I still have 7 pending applications... It's a tough decision

My #2 school's decision deadline was this Tuesday, and I asked for an extension but they declined. Therefore, I shelled out the $500 to secure my seat. Recently I haven't heard much from other schools, as they are taking their merry ole' time with everyones apps. So I'd rather be safe than sorry. 500/160000k = .31% of what my education will cost. So, I'll take the .31% loss than wait another year to reapply... Think about filling out the coursework again, hunting down LORs, submitting transcripts, writing essays. Its probably the best $500 you will ever lose haha, it is now Thursday and my stress for grad school is almost zero, because I know I have a seat some where. Who knows you just may go to that school, and they put it towards your tuition.

Anyways Best of Luck

I too was in the same boat. I had to decide within a few weeks for the first school that took me and and to pay the $500. Issue: I had 7 outstanding applications! Immediately, I reached out to the other schools. To my surprise, I was accepted into another program (that was higher up on my list) within hours of contacting them. It has a smaller fee and I have a few months to decide, whew! If I didn't get that second acceptance, I would have submitted the $500 fee in a heartbeat! I'm still waiting on several other schools, but knowing I got in somewhere took the pressure off! :D

My point, it is worth your daughter reaching out to the other schools! Worst case, they can't tell her anything. If that's the case, ask the school for an extension. If they deny that, then pay the fee. $500, when compared to the full cost of the program, is a small chunk of change. Just my $0.02...

Good luck and congrats to your daughter!

Send in the deposit!! This year is really competitive.

At a recent interview another potential student told me that she had her interview bumped up a month early because she was accepted elsewhere and needed to respond quickly. The school not only bumped up her interview but also said that if she requested it they could also get her a rush decision to help her meet the deadline. She seemed like a very good candidate so that probably helped! Good luck!

I would pay the deposit if the school does not give you an extension. Similar to what others have stated. Avoiding the process of reapplying for next year should be motivation enough to secure your seat in a program.

In my own situation last year, if I had not put down a deposit I would not have been in a program. Too many schools that I was wait-listed and last minute accepted to.

Hello, if you dont mind me asking what schools did your daughter get in to? and what schools did she apply to? Thanks

Hello this is for DPTmom, what schools did your daughter get accepted to? and what schools did she apply to?

Hello rdulay8, what school did you get accepted to? what schools are your 7 pending applications for?

Sorry for the delay in answereing - been out of town. Since writing my post, my daughter has received 2 more acceptances and so is now ready to make a decision. Looks like it is between VCU and MUSC. We visited MUSC and were very impressed with the facilities and Charleston area.
Also like Richmond but have not taken a tour yet. Unfortunately out of state at both.
Any thoughts?