Acceptance/Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whawha

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a school has 50 seats and interviews 200 people. Then, how many acceptance letter does the school send out?

Sorry for such a random question ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the school. They could send several less than 50 or a few over 50.

Members don't see this ad :)
How could it be less than 50?

they will probably send a little over 50 and knowing some candidates will prefer else where.. this could be done all at once or they will send them in a couple of rounds

Again, it really depends on the school itself.. Some will do it very cautiously because they don't want to overshoot their classroom capacity....

I think each school is different. UF said they send out 83 acceptances (for 83 seats) on Dec 1st and take people off the waitlist as those 83 decline.

However, Harvard accepts 12-16 (for 35 seats) on Dec 1st and fills the rest by February.

I would guess schools would avoid sending out more acceptances than they have seats, just in case, again that depends on the school. Some schools are obviously more likely to have their offer accepted than others so they might bank on those numbers.

Last edited:
all schools have a ratio of offers given : offers accepted

Indiana said they send out 4 offers for every 1 accepted. So if they are trying to fill 30 spots on Dec. 1, they will send out 120 offers!

ANZ

I think each school is different. UF said they send out 83 acceptances (for 83 seats) on Dec 1st and take people off the waitlist as those 83 decline.

However, Harvard accepts 12-16 (for 35 seats) on Dec 1st and fills the rest by February.

I would guess schools would avoid sending out more acceptances than they have seats, just in case, again that depends on the school. Some schools are obviously more likely to have their offer accepted than others so they might bank on those numbers.

oh man

Last edited:
many schools will send exact or almost exact number of seats number of acceptances... lets say MWU sends 100 acceptance on Dec 1,
few schools overaccept and pray/ know that some will decline, /NYU sends like 300 acceptances and I think Uconn overaccepts on Dec 1 / and
few schools intentionally fill only part of the class- UIC sends like 40 acceptances Dec 1 for class of 65, Pitt does that.... check old trends on separate schools to see what their strategy is....
depending on their past trends and yield DS usually have pretty good idea what their yield is going to be and plan their interviews accordingly...
like MWU will expect about 60 acceptances out of 100 they send...so they interview something like 300 pre Dec and 200 post Dec...
some schools really care to admit people who put them as number one so they usually have higher yield, obviously schools with low tuition will expect fewer people declining...
now if the school changed their number of seats like Tufts or Louisville all bets are off...

I interviewed at UF in October and they said pretty clearly that they won't send out a full 83 acceptances since they feel an obligation to keep some seats for the people they are still inviting to interview. I guess if they know some people are going to deny them they may, but they made it sound like they will keep a good amount open like 15 or so.

I think, and I could be wrong, but the op meant in total, not just December 1st acceptances.

I interviewed at UF in October and they said pretty clearly that they won't send out a full 83 acceptances since they feel an obligation to keep some seats for the people they are still inviting to interview. I guess if they know some people are going to deny them they may, but they made it sound like they will keep a good amount open like 15 or so.

That is what I got from them when I called. I specifically asked if they send enough invites to fill their whole class and she said no, they send them in batches and only a certain number of them receive them on December 1. And they continue to invite and accept in batches until later in the cycle. On another note, USC also sends acceptances and only a certain amount ( I think they said Dec 1 they send out 70) and in batches.

does anyone know how many students does harvard interview before dec. 1st??
12-16 on Dec. 1st seem very low...

does anyone know how many students does harvard interview before dec. 1st??
12-16 on Dec. 1st seem very low...

I'm not too sure how many before dec 1st but you can look on predents to see how many interview dates before dec 1st they're having. In average I think they interview 4 -5 people per day. Harvard has a diff. philosophy where they want to give everyone equal opportunity and not hurt anyone's chances for submitting late, so they only accept 14-16 people on dec 1st and put quite a few on the waitlist (quite a few of which become accepted later on but they just wanna wait and see their whole pool before accepting so many). I can tell you that they interview about 120 total, and they accept I think 45-50 people total to fill those 35 spots.

I'm not too sure how many before dec 1st but you can look on predents to see how many interview dates before dec 1st they're having. In average I think they interview 4 -5 people per day. Harvard has a diff. philosophy where they want to give everyone equal opportunity and not hurt anyone's chances for submitting late, so they only accept 14-16 people on dec 1st and put quite a few on the waitlist (quite a few of which become accepted later on but they just wanna wait and see their whole pool before accepting so many). I can tell you that they interview about 120 total, and they accept I think 45-50 people total to fill those 35 spots.

btw how was your interview?
can you give us any interview feedbacks?

btw how was your interview?
can you give us any interview feedbacks?

It was pretty nice. I really recommend taking advantage of the oppurtunity they give you for staying at the dorms. You really get a good feel for the student body and the school's environment. It also helped me relax the night before instead of freaking out by looking at questions and feedbacks or what not. It was pretty relaxed but they did ask all the questions that you should really know te answer to: why dentistry and personal questions about your experiences in your app. Nothing that you shouldn't know the answer to after doing multiple secondaries and apps and all that. It's just helpful to have some practce ahead of time so you don't get too nervous. Good luck!