Acceptance Rates of Applicants *From* Various Colleges

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eisen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, I hope this is posted in the right place...

I'm working on a term project for school which compares different colleges. I had wanted to find out the number of med-school admits and/or the ratio of med-school applicants:admits for undergrads at JMU vs. UVA vs. UMD, vs. UMBC vs. Towson, vs. Georgetown, JHU, Mary Baldwin, American U, GM, GW etc.

I really don't need this item in my project, and I've decided to most-likely scrap it due to time constraints. But I'm curious if I was looking in the wrong place? After some searching online I spoke with the pre-med advising office at ,ok, one of the above schools. I didn't get an answer yet, I waited for a call back and then was told to send a letter.... It made me think twice about what strategy to take contacting other schools because I got the impression I was getting the run-around.:laugh:

The project is going to be on much broader terms anyway so I'm not really worried about including this tidbit. However, now I am *really* curious about the differences between "State" and "University" vs private colleges. Most specifically, I'd like to know if/where/how I can find out the number of applicants and/or eventual acceptances from the above undergrad schools to med-school.
**Given: I know the above stat is not the be all end all. The school that is most affordable and at the same time has a good science program/quality of life is most important. But it would be nice to get a ballpark.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Eisen

PS..
I forgot to mention I am posting here b/c I'm a non-trad currently a frosh at CC... please don't eat me alive, I'm new here :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thanks RichardH, but the link you left seems to be colleges with high acceptance rates (meaning easy to get into)...

I'm looking for something more along the lines of "College X had 5 graduates last year who were accepted to med-school for the next year's entering class" or "College X hasn't had an admit since last century":D

BTW, personally I've never had much luck with the USN&WR website. It seems way too ad-driven for my tastes.

Perhaps I need to hit the library or look into the much fabled MSAR? I couldn't find anything on the AAMC site and a catalog search at my library turned up blank.

Oh, and I'm on a rather spartan college student budget.

Anyone? Anyone?

Eisen

Members don't see this ad :)
You might be able to get some of what you're looking for from the AAMC. To clarify, they absolutely have the data that you're looking for, but I don't know how hard it will be to get it.

The data that they publish online about applicants and undergrad institutions is limited. They do offer that you can email them if you have more data queries, perhaps they'd be willing to provide you with what you're looking for.

Thank-you Dianyla,

Yes, I'm guessing this is a somewhat lost cause, due to the many reads this thread has gotten already and only two responses. There are probably privacy issues at stake.

It's probably just as well. Thanks just the same for the response!

Dana