Acceptance to Pharmacy School Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharm357

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I know not all applicants have pharmacy tech license before they apply to pharmacy school but few people do.
So what if I don't want to be pharmacist assistant or tech., is there low chances for getting accepted?
Has anyone gotten accepted without getting license for assistant or tech?
It feels to me a waste or time if I go that route because some people went straight from high school to pharmacy school. I agree those people have high gpa, sat scores, etc... (typical students)

Any advice on what to do? I am trying to get my prerequisites done and apply. Anything I need to know before applying.
please help

Members don't see this ad.

I would heavily advise on getting some experience in an actual pharmacy setting before you apply so you know what you are getting yourself into.

Reactions: 1 users
You don't need it, but it might be useful for you to see what pharmacy is really like before spending lots of money on pharmacy school. You may find that pharmacy is way different from what you think it's like, and it may make you not pursue pharmacy anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
Plenty of people from my class had very little experience. I heard some schools give u extra admission points if you were a tech. A lot of my class had basic volunteering experience from an independent, bc that's easiest to attain.

Some states will require you be licensed as a pharmacy technician, in order to complete your rotations. You WILL be doing some technician work on your rotations (some states will have you get licensed rather as an intern, rather than a technician for this.) And as a pharmacist, you will most certainly be doing some "technician" work in your day to day job. Bear in mind, that the majority of people who go to 0 - 6 schools, will still work as a technician/intern

The fact that you say you don't want to work as a technician, leads me to believe that you have no idea of what a technician vs a pharmacist does, or the day to day job responsibilities of pharmacy in any setting.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks.
Few more questions I want to ask someone who I can trust and answer me based on their own experience.
Is it easy to find employment after finishing school and remain in position for years? Or they might laid pharmacist off some day because of bad economy or market, etc...

is it stable enough like dentist or MD doctors? I heard in 2008 when the economy became bad, some of nurses that worked with my primary doctor got laid off. This makes me worry a little bit after many years of education/ load of debt and at the end won't be able to pay off anything and ending up a loser.

What other duties beside filling prescription and dispense medication to patients do pharmacist performed everyday? Something no one can steal from you?

Please advice more and shed some light on

No career is immune to overall economy issues. Jobs will be created and destroyed because that is the natural business cycle.
You physician probably doesn't employ nurses because they are too expensive. He/she probably has Medical Assistants.

Reactions: 1 user
I just got accepted last year and currently a P1. Just like you, I did not have any pharmacy experience b4 admission either, and neither did quite a number of my classmates. Pharmacy experience is not a requirement, but it sure does make you more competitive. Therefore, it is good to have some (just by shadowing a pharmacist for 3-6hours), but it doesn't hurt much if you don't have it. I would say GPA, PCAT score and good letter of recommendations are much more important. I got 3.9 GPA and 99 on PCAT, and that got me admitted to both schools I applied to.

I just got accepted last year and currently a P1. Just like you, I did not have any pharmacy experience b4 admission either, and neither did quite a number of my classmates. Pharmacy experience is not a requirement, but it sure does make you more competitive. Therefore, it is good to have some (just by shadowing a pharmacist for 3-6hours), but it doesn't hurt much if you don't have it. I would say GPA, PCAT score and good letter of recommendations are much more important. I got 3.9 GPA and 99 on PCAT, and that got me admitted to both schools I applied to.
May I ask what material you used to study for PCAT? Could you list them and in what order you studies them?
My weakness in reading comprehension because I am not a native speaker.
Thanks

On answering the first question as far as requirement for tech licensure: No...a waste of time? absolutely not. Working as a tech enhances a few things if the ultimate goal is becoming a pharmacist. Communication to patients in both a high maintenance setting with low helpers as well as questions regarding "brand and generic" versions are just a couple of examples of the big picture (speaking only on the level a tech would deal with, this does not include many other factors exposed your way). DEALING WITH INSURANCE and understanding the meaning of primary cardholders as well as deductibles subdued to those people who finally qualified for additonal insurances...This just brings to light how to deal with patients when you have to tell them they have an "early" fill that insurance will reject or try to explain how you cannot dispense a controlled substance they have always recieved. Hospital setting has other factors in and of itself. Try to understand however, if you simply want this doctorate title of a pharmacist because the pay is "ok" but havent lived on your own yet to understand outside expenses, plz plz plz SHADOW and work as a tech...the field is great if its what you want to do, but a nightmare once you realize a six figure loan and "semi-interest" trapped you in something you realize you dont like.

Next question: Employment: well, have you considered residency in a hospital or retail chain for a company or independent pharmacy? half of those that compete for residency dont recieve it. Half of the others take a pay cut just to stand out for a job opening that just opened up. If you are NOT picky on where you want to live (best chance is a rural area away from the city) and willing to relocate to a far away state and once again pass a law licensure for the state you want to reciprocate your license at, then you will find work. Remember, saturation is real. Just for me to get my internship while in school requires me to travel 56 mile round trip from my apartment to work...On top of this, if you dont work while in school your competitors for jobs will do just that::: out compete you for that job you wanted ( thats another factor in and of itself but ill save that for later).

Once you expose the thought of what pharmacy provides and enjoy it ( Im enjoying schooling thus far but def. busy with wife and kids), then use Dr. Collins PCAT handout....If applicable, use Kaplan if not in school but Dr. Collins is very direct and will help you. IMO, if you are thinking of a 0-6 program, i highly advise getting an undergrad degree or first couple years of "extra" courses to get an idea of what you like and dont like. I hardly think at 18 you know what you want for the rest of your life. If you asked me then what i wanted it was just welding and fishing lol. Interests change, so use school as a way to know what you enjoy.

I didn't have ANY experience as a pharmacist prior to starting, and I'm glad I didn't! It probably would have scared me away if I only saw retail pharmacy.

Even if you do volunteer, make sure you keep an open mind.