Acceptance to programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lee9786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does this process work? The primary school I'm looking at is a state school and states it does acceptances in February. Other schools which include private which are much more costly, have earlier acceptance time frames. This makes me highly reluctant to even apply to the private institutions/ expensive out-of-state institutions because of the hope that maybe I could get accepted to the public, in-state university. Then again my primary option is extremely competitive so there's no guarantee that I'd get in even though I'm a competitive applicant. I'd want to hold out if I were to obtain acceptances at the more expensive options, but wonder if this is even an option due to colleges looking to secure seats.

I've been thinking about prioritizing the one until I find out if I got accepted or not, and then if I didn't look to apply to some of these programs that have a later deadline. Then again I'm not sure if I could add new programs after I e-submit my PTCAS application. This process has me thoroughly convoluted. I'm starting to think it'd be a miracle if I could get it sorted all out. Any insight on the acceptance process is appreciated. The difference in tuition is 15k vs 35k/year. I grow gray hairs just thinking about the latter. I'm not sure if I should even be considering them as an option due to inability to get funding for tuition plus costs of living, books, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

It is a difficult decision isn't it? My wife was about to go mad hearing me talk about the possibility of moving to attend an out-of-state PT school. I finally decided I wanted to stay right here at home where I have lived (in the general area} for 45 years.

I applied to only one school. It is the university where I have done all my undergraduate work. I am fairly certain that I will get in during early admission, but I suppose there are no guarantees. It was both a relief to narrow it down to one school, but is also slightly stressful since it is the only school that I applied to and the deadlines have passed for the other schools I would have been interested in moving for.

First, you CAN e-submit your PTCAS application to more schools after your first submission. (Trust me, I did it twice as I added more programs to my list). Second, I understand your concern for money. Here's my suggestion, and while it will cost some money up front, it might be better in the long run. Apply to all of the programs you want to, both more affordable public and the more expensive private. Then sit back, and wait to hear on acceptances. When you start getting acceptances, then make your decision. If you hear back from a private school sooner, and they require a deposit, well, then secure a spot there, just in case. I know everyone on here probably hates that idea, because it may mean they can't get off the waitlist, but you need to do what's best for you. So basically, secure your spot, and then keep waiting to hear from the public school. If you get in and still want to go, then yay! (Sure you're forfeiting a couple hundred bucks to the other program, but hey, better than 20K/year). If you don't get into the public, then you still have a spot in the private program.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lee, you can submit again and again and again so you can apply as late as the last program that accepts apps if you are still scrambling to get into one. You can ask for an extension for your deposit once you get an acceptance letter from one of the other schools that you applied to and the length of the extension depends on the school.

It sounds to me that you want to stay close to home, and if I were you and an out of state or private institution close to home accepted me and you were still waiting for a state school I would still place a deposit to hold that seat. I mean $500 is nothing compared what you will save if you later get accepted to your state school. And If you didn't get accepted, would you rather try again next year or go to that more expensive program but close to home.

Loans will get paid off eventually, some jobs offer loan reimbursements. Loan forgiveness with Obama (lets not get political-just saying) may erase your debt after a few years...im not too sure about it though,,,but what if it does happen right?

Thanks everyone. I'll probably send in the $500 to secure a seat and then hold out. This process is an absolute mess. Can't wait til it's over.