Accepted for a Residency Transfer Position but not Offered A Contract

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Teleblockop

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN, I would like to see if there's some advice for my particular situation.

So I needed to transfer residencies due to family emergency earlier last Fall. I informed my PD early on and he was very supportive with my decision. I was ultimately accepted into a new position in early Dec but the program has not offered me a contract.

I was told specifically by the program coordinator the contract would be offered in the first week of Jan. Then first week of Jan passed and I did not hear back. I followed up and they said it will be 1 week later. 1 week passed, and nothing. I followed up again thinking I may have missed the letter, but they said, "sorry, it will be the following week". The same thing happened, 1 week passed and no response.

I figured they were busy so I did not contact them for about a month. Now, over 1 month later, I decided to follow up again because my current program offered me a residency renewal which I plan to decline. The coordinator at my new program said "sorry for the delay, but it will be by the end of the week" . That was 1-2 weeks ago and as it passed, I still have not received anything.

I am starting to feel they may be holding out for another candidate OR wanting to backtrack out. The previous resident initially had decided to take a gap year. Could it be he/she changed their mind and now the program wants to take that resident back and drop me? The PD had offered me a position last fall and we BOTH had signed an official letter of intent that I will enroll. Isn't the letter of intent legally binding?

My own program had already offered us renewals. Should I be worried that I have not received a contract yet from my new program? I had contacted their coordinator MULTIPLE times already, so I do not know what else can be done from my end.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This is tricky. This new job does not sound secure at all, despite whatever letter of intent you signed. I’d think extremely hard before giving up a guaranteed spot where you are now - even if you ultimately do land this new position, these folks you’re dealing with seem to be missing some professional integrity, organizational skills or both. I would unfortunately expect to be treated similarly by them in the future regarding other needs you may have.

Reactions: 1 user
I’d email or call the PD at the new program directly. It sounds like the admin may not be terribly motivated to help you

Hello SDN, I would like to see if there's some advice for my particular situation.

So I needed to transfer residencies due to family emergency earlier last Fall. I informed my PD early on and he was very supportive with my decision. I was ultimately accepted into a new position in early Dec but the program has not offered me a contract.

I was told specifically by the program coordinator the contract would be offered in the first week of Jan. Then first week of Jan passed and I did not hear back. I followed up and they said it will be 1 week later. 1 week passed, and nothing. I followed up again thinking I may have missed the letter, but they said, "sorry, it will be the following week". The same thing happened, 1 week passed and no response.

I figured they were busy so I did not contact them for about a month. Now, over 1 month later, I decided to follow up again because my current program offered me a residency renewal which I plan to decline. The coordinator at my new program said "sorry for the delay, but it will be by the end of the week" . That was 1-2 weeks ago and as it passed, I still have not received anything.

I am starting to feel they may be holding out for another candidate OR wanting to backtrack out. The previous resident initially had decided to take a gap year. Could it be he/she changed their mind and now the program wants to take that resident back and drop me? The PD had offered me a position last fall and we BOTH had signed an official letter of intent that I will enroll. Isn't the letter of intent legally binding?

My own program had already offered us renewals. Should I be worried that I have not received a contract yet from my new program? I had contacted their coordinator MULTIPLE times already, so I do not know what else can be done from my end.

I don't know about this, seems shady to me. why wouldn't they give you a contract? Is this out of match? Contract is needed. i would not give up a position that you currently safely have now but something that seems fishy. Have you contacted the PD?

Figure out what the due date is for renewing your existing contract from your current PD so you know exactly how much time you actually have.
Email the coordinator and explain that you need your contract in hand by the end of the week as your current program needs a response from you soon and you obviously can't give them a definite one until you have a contract in hand.
If you don't hear back by the end of the week, email and call the PD at the new program directly.

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. Stay where you are. The family emergency was months ago unless it is still going on.
You are already starting off on the wrong foot with that new program (maybe a red flag)...And your current program is very nice to you: first by being supportive when you told them you leaving and now by willing to offer you a contract renewal.
If I were your current PD, I would start thinking that you are not reliable and that I need to make sure I am staffed enough and with the right people.

my 2 cts.

If its feasible, I would try to talk to the PD directly or even go to the program in person and find out what's going on. Is the PD who promised you stepping down? Is the chair opposed to it? Are they waiting for another candidate?
The risks are pretty high here to just wait.

This is tricky. This new job does not sound secure at all, despite whatever letter of intent you signed. I’d think extremely hard before giving up a guaranteed spot where you are now - even if you ultimately do land this new position, these folks you’re dealing with seem to be missing some professional integrity, organizational skills or both. I would unfortunately expect to be treated similarly by them in the future regarding other needs you may have.

I do think it is unprofessional on their part. However, since I am trying to transfer in, there is not much I can do to voice what I feel, especially if the position is not secured.

I’d email or call the PD at the new program directly. It sounds like the admin may not be terribly motivated to help you

Would the escalation be appropriate now? Or would I burn bridges with the program coordinator? Should I talk to their chief resident? (who was helpful in answering my questions early on when I applied)

I don't know about this, seems shady to me. why wouldn't they give you a contract? Is this out of match? Contract is needed. i would not give up a position that you currently safely have now but something that seems fishy. Have you contacted the PD?

Initially when they offered me a position the program coordinator they acted similarly as well. At first, they were very enthusiastic and said there is an open position and I will be accepted. They said PD plans to offer me a position after going over my file and implied on the phone I do not need to look elsewhere anymore.

They said the decision would come out "x day" but that day passed. I followed up and they said they were "still reviewing and to check back 1 month later at Y date". I did so as prompted and they said "no, still not out yet, it will be by the end of the week so check back then." I did so again but there was still silence.

Now at THAT point, I thought it was not meant to be and started looking elsewhere. So I reached out to other program which prompty gave me a response to come down to interview. They were truly forthright and accommodating. In the end this 2nd program offered me a position promptly after interview and said they would draft a contract as soon as possible if I accepted.

I had almost accepted right then but then the 1st program responded back (about 1.5 months later) and said "Yes our PD would like to do Skype Interview this week" and then after I interviewed when them, they formally made me an offer.

In the end I respectfully declined the 2nd program and went with the 1st program due to a better fit and location close to family.

The whole thing does seem fishy, however every time I follow up with this program, they act warmly and said they cannot wait for me to come. Yet their actions suggest otherwise. I am just really confused.

Figure out what the due date is for renewing your existing contract from your current PD so you know exactly how much time you actually have.
Email the coordinator and explain that you need your contract in hand by the end of the week as your current program needs a response from you soon and you obviously can't give them a definite one until you have a contract in hand.
If you don't hear back by the end of the week, email and call the PD at the new program directly.

I have actually done just that 2 weeks ago. I told them I would feel more comfortable having the contract in hand prior to declining my own program's offer for renewal. That was when they said "sorry it will be sent by the end of this week." That had passed and I still have not received anything.

I had not emailed the PD yet but I definitely want to. Would it be appropriate for me to do so now? I don't want to come across as pushy. Or should I wait until after Match Day because they might group and send my contract out with the incoming PGY1s?

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. Stay where you are. The family emergency was months ago unless it is still going on.
You are already starting off on the wrong foot with that new program (maybe a red flag)...And your current program is very nice to you: first by being supportive when you told them you leaving and now by willing to offer you a contract renewal.
If I were your current PD, I would start thinking that you are not reliable and that I need to make sure I am staffed enough and with the right people.

my 2 cts.

My program and PD has been tremendous in support and for that I am grateful. I do like working with my colleagues and my attendings are great teachers. However, my family situation is still going on, and I would still would plan to transfer and relocate to where family is.

I do think it is unprofessional on their part. However, since I am trying to transfer in, there is not much I can do to voice what I feel, especially if the position is not secured.

If the position is not secure you risk losing your already secure position. Residency is only a few years. Many times it sucks, many times we match in places we don't prefer, many times we have to do things we don't want to do. However your program seems nice. That is worth a lot.
The new program seems flaky. I remember I applied for a position in an attempt to transfer. After some time I talked to the new PD I was given all the round around about how there were administrative issues, etc with the position. I stayed put. now I'm on the other side, graduated, even though I did not like my program.
It's only a few more years. I would stay put and finish. You may actually not have the position at thenew program and who knows what's going on. Your current program won't hold out forever. I would stay put.

If the PD gives you the runaround as well, I think you have to assume the worst - that they are continuing to wait on this other resident to decide on a gap year, or to see what happens in the Match.

Would the escalation be appropriate now? Or would I burn bridges with the program coordinator? Should I talk to their chief resident? (who was helpful in answering my questions early on when I applied)
How long do you plan to wait before escalating? A month and a half is long time to give them, and while a wonderful PC is amazing if a program has it and you definitely should try to stay on their good side, that doesn't seem to be the case here. You need an answer NOW about whether this position is real or not, and you absolutely should not decline your current program's offer before you have an actual contract in hand.

Reactions: 2 users
You need to talk to the PD ASAP.

If you are still getting the run around
Then you are going to have to decide what has the higher priority...family emergency or your medical career because at this rate you may have to pick one or the other.

Your current program and PD seem to be understanding and willing to work with you...the other program is either incredibly inept or is hedging it’s bets...

Talk to the new program and if they can’t send you a contract in the next few days then you are going to have to decide if you are willing to risk not having a position at your current program to be close to family.

How long do you plan to wait before escalating? A month and a half is long time to give them, and while a wonderful PC is amazing if a program has it and you definitely should try to stay on their good side, that doesn't seem to be the case here. You need an answer NOW about whether this position is real or not, and you absolutely should not decline your current program's offer before you have an actual contract in hand.

You need to talk to the PD ASAP.

If you are still getting the run around
Then you are going to have to decide what has the higher priority...family emergency or your medical career because at this rate you may have to pick one or the other.

Your current program and PD seem to be understanding and willing to work with you...the other program is either incredibly inept or is hedging it’s bets...

Talk to the new program and if they can’t send you a contract in the next few days then you are going to have to decide if you are willing to risk not having a position at your current program to be close to family.

I do think giving them a month and a half is enough time to make a contract. I wanted to send an email earlier but I didn't want to be pushy and have it backfire on me. I did find out though I have until April to decline my current contract. So that gives me a month while I sort this out.

Should I still go ahead and send a follow up email tomorrow/Fri or early next week to the new PD? Or since I still have a little bit over a month, should I give the program the benefit of the doubt and wait 1-2 more weeks until mid march for match day? (I know it's unpopular but I'm trying to be accommodating without stepping on the coordinator's toes). If I had to return my contract any earlier I would not have considered waiting.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the replies. It was very helpful seeing all your perspectives.

I forgot to mention that this new program had even sent me onboarding paperwork a couple weeks ago. They had sent me the state medical Board registration forms and other general requirements to fill out.

Does this make a difference in terms of their seriousness?

Why would they send me this paperwork without offering me a contract yet if they were not entirely sure they want me?

Seriously, stop waiting it out. You asked us for advice and pretty much every single person has said contact the PD.

So contact the PD. This is your future we're talking about. The time for gentle reminders to the PC has passed. You're being passive with this new program, and risk offending your current program, that is being more accommodating than most.

This isn't the place for reassurance for bad decisions ;).

Seriously, stop waiting it out. You asked us for advice and pretty much every single person has said contact the PD.

So contact the PD. This is your future we're talking about. The time for gentle reminders to the PC has passed. You're being passive with this new program, and risk offending your current program, that is being more accommodating than most.

This isn't the place for reassurance for bad decisions ;).

Not to mention that sometimes, some residents seem/clay that they are leaving when in fact they don't and stay put and the position becomes unavailable. this happened at 2 programs where I tried to transfer - I believe both residents ultimately stayed. Even when I resigned from my Radiology residency there was an attempt for me to stay. So nothing is certain unless you have a contract in hand. It also seems quite unprofessional that they would make you wait this long. You either have the position or you don't. Don't anger your current program. They have been more than accomodating.

Talk to the PD. There are three people that have to sign the contracts: the GME rep, your PD, and you. If your PD hasn’t seen the contract yet, they can help push on your behalf, or help explain why it hasn’t been drafted yet. If the contract is sitting in their inbox, then that may prompt them to send it off and get it on to you.

Update: So I reached out to the PD and he said along the lines of: "We are waiting on the GME to release it but do not worry about it, it will come. There seems to be issue to the software with the contract being down... we'll let you know when it's available" He then said the program is preparing schedule requests soon, talked about social event at beginning of summer, and that they are excited to have me.

Update: So I reached out to the PD and he said along the lines of: "We are waiting on the GME to release it but do not worry about it, it will come. There seems to be issue to the software with the contract being down... we'll let you know when it's available" He then said the program is preparing schedule requests soon, talked about social event at beginning of summer, and that they are excited to have me.

I am working on being gentler with my words, so here it goes: That is a bunch of caca. Contracts are all the same. The software statement is utterly absurd. It does not take 1.5 months for their "software" to be fixed. I would thread carefully. Just like when PDs tell applicants that they are ranked to match, etc etc. I am liking your current program more than more, and they seem awesome. I wish all programs were as supportive as yours. And if the new program is this flaky now just imagine the nightmare that awaits.

Yikes.

Reactions: 7 users
I agree, I found that statement hard to believe. The other program I interviewed was willing to have their coordinator write up the contract and send it to me in 1 day. It really feels like they are stringing me along.

My current program director is a dime of a dozen. I want to update him as soon as possible. I do like my program and the people and it was a VERY hard decision for me to initiate the transfer, but transferring close to the family in the midwest is still my goal. I am now considering to contact nearby programs as long as they are near the Ohio/Illinois area.

Should I start emailing other programs as a recourse in case this one falls through? Just to see if positions are still available. How does the transfer opportunity look at this time of the season? (end of Feb/early March)?

Last edited:
I agree, I found that statement hard to believe. The other program I interviewed was willing to have their coordinator write up the contract and send it to me in 1 day. It really feels like they are stringing me along.

My current program director is a dime of a dozen. I want to update him as soon as possible. I do like my program and the people and it was a VERY hard decision for me to initiate the transfer, but transferring close to the family in the midwest is still my goal. I am now considering to contact nearby programs as long as they are near the Ohio/Illinois area.

Should I start emailing other programs as a recourse in case this one falls through? Just to see if positions are still available. How does the transfer opportunity look at this time of the season? (end of Feb/early March)?
Your decision at this point is do I risk losing the residency spot I have now and potentially never completing a residency that would allow me to have a medical career in the US that will allow me to help support my family for decades or take a chance that this program will still give me a spot after stringing me along for months...

Your current PD is NOT a dime a dozen...he is a prince!

If you do not have a concrete contract by the end of March, sign your renewal contract and thank your lucky stars that you have such a compassionate PD...

Reactions: 3 users

It seems you are wanting to keep private regarding the family situation. That's your choice but without knowing what the issue is and how long your residency is, it's hard to advice further. To me a program that makes up statements that are caca will likely do it again in the future. it's unprofessional. Sometimes residents that were going to be leaving actually stay, etc. The contract should have been sent to you already. Your program won't wait forever.

If you don't have a contract, completely signed by both parties, in your hands from the new place by the deadline of the current place.....absolutely sign where you are and stay.

You just flat out can't trust someone's word when all the risk is yours.

Reactions: 1 users

Ok, I am a bit confused here. You said in prior posts:

Does anyone know about Hackensack in NJ that just started the IM residency this year? I read a post about it earlier last year but just wanted to follow it up with how residents think it is now. It is a new program but is it still a "low educational experience?"

Are you only looking for West Coast or flexible on location? Tried to PM you but your profile not accepting messages

Hey everyone, I am a PGY2 who has decided late to go for endocrine. I'm at a IM residency in northeast getting ready to apply this summer. However, I just got involved in research and hope to get a poster in these next few months.

US MD at a low/midtier university IM program.
My scores: STEP 1: 218, STEP 2: 236. STEP 3: 225.
Research: Basic science pub in med school. Hopefully 1 endocrine poster in a few months

I do have an in house endocrine program at my institution but because of personal and family reasons, I would like to ideally match to NY, so I plan on just applying to these programs.

-NYU
-Cornell
-Hofstra Northwell
-Hofstra Lenox Hill
-Winthrop
-Mount Sinai
-Stony Brook

Do you all think it is a long shot for me to match applying to only 7 programs with those stats? I would be more than happy going to any of the programs.

How competitive are the Long island programs (Hofstra Northwell, Winthrop, and Stony Brook) in particular?

Would appreciate any thoughts or advice.

So you are a pgy2 in IM in the NE and state you want to be in NY, particularly Long lsland. Yet in your post here you state you want to be in the Ohio or Illinois area.

If you truly are a pgy2, you have one year left to go. I would just stay and finish it out.

@Teleblockop ”My current program director is a dime of a dozen”.

What does that even mean?

Lol. I wondered the same thing! The term "a dime a dozen" means that they are very common, but I actually think the current PD is a gem. Maybe that's what the OP meant? Who knows. I like the current PD, seems like aProgDirector type person - someone who is looking out for the wellbeing of residents, which is not super frequent.

Lol. I wondered the same thing! The term "a dime a dozen" means that they are very common, but I actually think the current PD is a gem. Maybe that's what the OP meant? Who knows. I like the current PD, seems like aProgDirector type person - someone who is looking out for the wellbeing of residents, which is not super frequent.

That’s why I asked. I so agree with you. I sort of feel like with everything that has happened(or not happened actually) OP is giving up a great program and PD. I can’t believe OP actually meant “dime a dozen”.

Sorry, English is not the first language.I know my PD is supportive. And no, I did not meant to mean his action is very common. He is definitely a gem like Piebadi mentioned.

Ok, I am a bit confused here. You said in prior posts:

So you are a pgy2 in IM in the NE and state you want to be in NY, particularly Long lsland. Yet in your post here you state you want to be in the Ohio or Illinois area.

If you truly are a pgy2, you have one year left to go. I would just stay and finish it out.

No I am a pgy1. Sorry for confusion. That post was meant for helping my buddy from med school who is applying fellowship soon. I can remove if not allowed

Last edited:
No I am a pgy1. Sorry for confusion. That post was meant for helping my buddy from med school who is applying fellowship soon. I can remove if not allowed

Its reasons like this why everyone should have their own account. It's free, after all. It also calls into question future posts like this one when stories just don't add up.

If you are a PGY1, which I assume is in IM, I would hold out as long as your current PD would currently allow to let the new program get it together. I agree that the new program's actions are a bit concerning. It's not THAT hard to get a typical resident contract together and sent to you. If they don't get it to you before your current program needs an answer, I think your only option is to stay at your current program.

Reactions: 1 users
Btw, you are transferring because of family emergency. You are going to a new program where you don't know anybody and where nobody knows you. You will have to prove yourself (again), that means lot of work. So when exactly will you be taking care of the family issue? just curious.

If you do not have a concrete contract by the end of March, sign your renewal contract and thank your lucky stars that you have such a compassionate PD...

I agree with everything rokshana wrote except for the waiting til end of March. I would only give them 1 more week, 2 max to get their act together. Because you are inadvertently stringing along your own program with waiting so long.

I don't really understand the family emergency. I just hope I won't see a post from you in 6 months saying - transferred to new program, the admin is a nightmare, and have placed me on probation, hard to talk to, etc. It really does seem you're leaving a very supportive, awesome program to a very risky situation. You are minimizing the risk of not becoming a US physician, which is a very real risk. It'd be one thing if you were leaving a malignant program to a probable much more supportive program...but that is not the case here...

It's like charting - if it's not in writing, it wasn't done. No contract = no deal, no matter the verbal reassurances.

Reactions: 5 users
I agree with everything rokshana wrote except for the waiting til end of March. I would only give them 1 more week, 2 max to get their act together. Because you are inadvertently stringing along your own program with waiting so long.

I don't really understand the family emergency. I just hope I won't see a post from you in 6 months saying - transferred to new program, the admin is a nightmare, and have placed me on probation, hard to talk to, etc. It really does seem you're leaving a very supportive, awesome program to a very risky situation. You are minimizing the risk of not becoming a US physician, which is a very real risk. It'd be one thing if you were leaving a malignant program to a probable much more supportive program...but that is not the case here...

It's like charting - if it's not in writing, it wasn't done. No contract = no deal, no matter the verbal reassurances.
I only said end of March because the OPs program said they would give him til April to renew his contract.

From an Admin's point of view: Every year, the GME office decides that they want to "update and refresh" the contracts that go out. Even for the fellowships that matched in December...and they normally are NOT ready until mid-March, to be sent with the "normal" onboarding material. (that is sent to the ones matching on March 15) It is a huge pain, because the GME office edits the templates, sends them to legal (who holds on to them forever) then they get sent back, then finally posted so the programs can actually send them out to people. It is very possible that is what is holding up your contract. It sounds to me, that you have the position. I may be wrong, but honestly, that is some of the same conversations I have had to have with my fellows.

From an Admin's point of view: Every year, the GME office decides that they want to "update and refresh" the contracts that go out. Even for the fellowships that matched in December...and they normally are NOT ready until mid-March, to be sent with the "normal" onboarding material. (that is sent to the ones matching on March 15) It is a huge pain, because the GME office edits the templates, sends them to legal (who holds on to them forever) then they get sent back, then finally posted so the programs can actually send them out to people. It is very possible that is what is holding up your contract. It sounds to me, that you have the position. I may be wrong, but honestly, that is some of the same conversations I have had to have with my fellows.

This makes a lot of sense.

@Teleblockop - Can you ask your presumed new program if this is the case there and if so, could they just state that clearly in writing ?

I would move on. Too many red flags. more red flags will come when you join the new program.

It would suck if your current program pulls the run from under you and give it to another that wants to transfer without a landing place.

Just wanted to come back with an update. Just got offered the contract with the new program today! It was just as Killerleaf described. They had to re edit the template from last year. Then they processed my contract with the incoming PGY1s after match and just sent me the official one to sign today. The PD also sent me a personal message saying he apologized for the wait and that he looks forward to me coming next year.

Although it took to the end of March, receiving the contract was huge relief and I'm grateful to how everything turned out.

Reactions: 6 users
Just wanted to come back with an update. Just got offered the contract with the new program today! It was just as Killerleaf described. They had to re edit the template from last year. Then they processed my contract with the incoming PGY1s after match and just sent me the official one to sign today. The PD also sent me a personal message saying he apologized for the wait and that he looks forward to me coming next year.

Although it took to the end of March, receiving the contract was huge relief and I'm grateful to how everything turned out.

Congrats.

Thanks for coming back with the update.

Reactions: 3 users
Just wanted to come back with an update. Just got offered the contract with the new program today! It was just as Killerleaf described. They had to re edit the template from last year. Then they processed my contract with the incoming PGY1s after match and just sent me the official one to sign today.
I'm glad it worked out but what's up with the program coordinator misleading you several times?

Again, from an Admin point of view:
Me, to GME Office: Hey, when are we getting the new contracts to send out?
GME Office to Legal: When are you going to be finished with the contracts?
Legal to GME Office: O, we should have them by the end of today.
GME Office to Me: Legal should have them by the end of today, so they should be ready tomorrow for sure
Me to Incoming Fellow: I should have them by tomorrow, ready to go out.
tomorrow comes...and goes.
Me to GME Office: Hey, when are we getting the new contracts to send out? (whole scenario, on endless repeat)
At least, at my place. It seemed that no matter how long of a lead time we gave them, the legal office would not release them until Match week.

Reactions: 4 users