Accepted into the Disney College Program. Now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

milk95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! :D So I was accepted into the Disney College Program, but now I'm not too sure if I should do it or not. I would have to take a semester off, basically, and I don't know if I can afford to do that. I know it isn't related to healthcare in the slightest, but it seems like it'd be a good experience and something to talk about. I plan on talking to my premed advisor about this, but I'm also wondering if anyone else has any thoughts or opinions.

I've already accepted that I'll be applying late, since I'm not exactly a 'traditional' student and my GPA isn't the greatest (I'm working on it and definitely considering post-bac). But would doing a program like this be looked down upon? I'd love to study abroad too, but I've already reached my maximum number of transferable credits.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello! :D So I was accepted into the Disney College Program, but now I'm not too sure if I should do it or not. I would have to take a semester off, basically, and I don't know if I can afford to do that. I know it isn't related to healthcare in the slightest, but it seems like it'd be a good experience and something to talk about. I plan on talking to my premed advisor about this, but I'm also wondering if anyone else has any thoughts or opinions.

I've already accepted that I'll be applying late, since I'm not exactly a 'traditional' student and my GPA isn't the greatest (I'm working on it and definitely considering post-bac). But would doing a program like this be looked down upon? I'd love to study abroad too, but I've already reached my maximum number of transferable credits.

This will NOT compensate for a poor GPA. It might be something to talk about but many adcom members might think that it is quite literally "Mickey Mouse" and not be impressed.

Reactions: 2 users
This will NOT compensate for a poor GPA. It might be something to talk about but many adcom members might think that it is quite literally "Mickey Mouse" and not be impressed.

That makes a lot of sense. Perhaps I should focus on bringing my GPA up before doing a program like that. It's still below 3.0, due to a rocky first semester and my inability to pass a math class on the first try.

Members don't see this ad :)
That makes a lot of sense. Perhaps I should focus on bringing my GPA up before doing a program like that. It's still below 3.0, due to a rocky first semester and my inability to pass a math class on the first try.
I'd definitely work on fixing your GPA first if being a physician is your ultimate career goal. If you had a higher GPA I'd probably encourage you to attend the program.

Not everyone is going to go to medical school no matter how badly they want to. This Disney program may open doors for you and it might not be a bad idea to take the opportunity.

Reactions: 8 users
The course work sounds... interesting

Disney Advanced Studies in Hospitality Management
Disney Corporate Analysis
Disney Corporate Communication
Disney Creativity & Innovation
Disney Human Resource Management
Disney Organizational Leadership

Reactions: 3 users

Lmfao

While this coursework sounds mundane and dull, I've heard that the faculty and staff are quite animated.

Reactions: 13 users
Both the Disney College program and study abroad are undertakings that you should do to satisfy your personal interests, not because of their impact on your chances to get into medical school. Neither of these things will shift your application to the stronger side and likely won't make it weaker either, but may lead to personal development which is always positive. Decide what you, personally, would like to do, then pursue it. If that shifts your application timeline, then that is okay. Just make sure that when you eventually get on the road to medical school you 1) have everything necessary for your strongest application possible and 2) aren't resentful of all the opportunities you gave up along the way. Once you start on the medical path (aka med school), opportunities like this to pursue side interests for large blocks of time are more or less gone forever. Live it up while you can if it is something you are interested in and make sure your GPA/MCAT are where you need them to be come application time, be that on the traditional or non-traditional timetable.

personally I think its quite Goofy

You just can't help yourself can you? First with the election and now this.
I love it. You've earned a "Follower."

Reactions: 1 user
I know a couple people who have done this Disney program and it gave them some great opportunities (non medical). If it is an interest for you, then I think you should take advantage of it. As stated above, you only live once and the opportunities to do these kinds of thinks shrink dramatically as you get older.

That said, if you want to go to medical school, you will still need to fix your GPA.

Will you get a free seasonal pass to all the Disney parks?

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a friend who did it and it seemed like a very important experience for her personally even if it won't help with medical school.

Also she's a badass now at talking to and building rapport with people (read: patients). Even if ADCOMS don't respect it, it actually gave her the tools to be a good doctor.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I did the Disney College Program so I can answer any questions you have!

It won't help with your application to medical school but it's still a great experience. Don't do it if you're just looking to help your application. It was an amazing experience that I wouldn't trade for the world though. Don't do it and take classes either, because then you can't enjoy the perks.

It will benefit you greatly but not in anything related to medical school, if that makes sense.

I did the Disney College Program so I can answer any questions you have!

It won't help with your application to medical school but it's still a great experience. Don't do it if you're just looking to help your application. It was an amazing experience that I wouldn't trade for the world though. Don't do it and take classes either, because then you can't enjoy the perks.

It will benefit you greatly but not in anything related to medical school, if that makes sense.
Do you get free rides?

Also, don't assume that everything/every experience that will be of benefit for medicine will happen in a medical setting. Flipping burgers, waiting tables, or other customer service jobs teach some pretty valuable people skills.

Reactions: 3 users
Also, don't assume that everything/every experience that will be of benefit for medicine will happen in a medical setting. Flipping burgers, waiting tables, or other customer service jobs teach some pretty valuable people skills.
This is true, Now only if Adcoms will see my years of experience at Mikey D's in a positive light to compensate for my poor GPA.

Will you get a free seasonal pass to all the Disney parks?
Do you get free rides?

Asking the important questions

I know a couple people who have done this Disney program and it gave them some great opportunities (non medical). If it is an interest for you, then I think you should take advantage of it. As stated above, you only live once and the opportunities to do these kinds of thinks shrink dramatically as you get older.

What did they like about it?

I had a friend who did it and it seemed like a very important experience for her personally even if it won't help with medical school.

Also she's a badass now at talking to and building rapport with people (read: patients). Even if ADCOMS don't respect it, it actually gave her the tools to be a good doctor.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

This is what I'm looking for.
Is she on SDN by any chance?

What role did you get?

@milk95 @spartawdw Please PM me the secrets of being a Disney princess. I already had one dream crushed, let me at least find out how I can succeed at my Plan B.

@milk95 @spartawdw Please PM me the secrets of being a Disney princess. I already had one dream crushed, let me at least find out how I can succeed at my Plan B.

Be the right height at the right audition at the right time. I know someone who is "friends with" Elsa and auditioned 8 times before getting it!

Be the right height at the right audition at the right time. I know someone who is "friends with" Elsa and auditioned 8 times before getting it!
There's no Disneyland Caribbean option if you don't get in the first two or three times?