Accepted somewhere, decline acceptance, reapply to other schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rachel&Ross5evr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I was wondering the verdict on this situation hurting my application in the future: I have an amazing home-state (low tuition!) medical school I am waiting to hear back from, and I just got an II from a lower-tier, very expensive medical school. If I were to only be accepted by the lower-tier school, declined the acceptance, and applied to other schools again in 2 cycles, would this look bad? Would schools see that I had an acceptance that I didn't accept? (Granted I would not apply to the school at which I was accepted again) Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

SDN, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they would be able to see that acceptance? It's my understanding that turning down an acceptance(s) in order to reapply in the hopes of getting in elsewhere is a great way to never get accepted again, in that admissions loose all trust in you as a consistent and reliable individual.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you aren't going to attend the school either way, why would you go to the interview..

Reactions: 3 users
Don't go if you're not planning to attend

Reactions: 1 user
Do you have any acceptances this cycle that you know you'd attend over this II school? If not, I'd still go to the II. This reasoning is based off of the adcom-backed fact that turning down an acceptance and reapplying reflects quite poorly on an applicant.

If I were to only be accepted by the lower-tier school, declined the acceptance, and applied to other schools again in 2 cycles, would this look bad?

It would look the worst. Yes they'll see it. You have one II this cycle. Who says you'll get another if you reapply? This could be one of the worst decisions you could ever make, but sometimes SDN needs a martyr as warning to the future generations wondering the same thing.

Why did you ever apply to a school you wouldn't go to if it was the only one you've been accepted at? Waste of time and resources for everyone involved.

Reactions: 2 users
If I were to only be accepted by the lower-tier school, declined the acceptance, and applied to other schools again in 2 cycles, would this look bad?

It would look the worst. Yes they'll see it. You have one II this cycle. Who says you'll get another if you reapply? This could be one of the worst decisions you could ever make, but sometimes SDN needs a martyr as warning to the future generations wondering the same thing.

Why did you ever apply to a school you wouldn't go to if it was the only one you've been accepted at? Waste of time and resources for everyone involved.

OP, you could be the martyr SDN doesn't deserve but needs.

4c9aLKBKi.jpeg

Reactions: 7 users
As a pre-teen I was all about Ross and Rachel, with all their ups and downs, will-they-won't-they drama. As I've gotten older I've realized that Monica and Chandler were a far, far more healthy relationship.

In general, declining an acceptance is as bad an idea as that terrible Joey & Rachel plot line.

Reactions: 16 users
You guys are actually the best!! I appreciate the Friends references. By this point, I had kind of come to the conclusion that it is very likely I will not get in this cycle, so I've been looking up awesome gap year opps and really think if I reapply I can get in to my fantastic (and adored) home state school. So should I decline the interview invite? Does that in itself look bad if I just decline the II completely?

You guys are actually the best!! I appreciate the Friends references. By this point, I had kind of come to the conclusion that it is very likely I will not get in this cycle, so I've been looking up awesome gap year opps and really think if I reapply I can get in to my fantastic (and adored) home state school. So should I decline the interview invite? Does that in itself look bad if I just decline the II completely?

I think we'd need more info about you to know if this was a good idea. Would any of these awesome gap year opportunities transform you from a marginal applicant into a desirable applicant? Because honestly, if you've just gotten your first invite at this point, you'll have to make some major changes to something in your profile before you can even think about being choosy.

Your best course of action will depend on whether the thing that needs fixing is your GPA, MCAT, or something as simple as the timeliness of your app.

Yup.

Yup.

Take the acceptance and run

Out of curiosity - how/ where do other schools see acceptances? Is there a central list? I keep hearing that all schools will know where Applicants get accepted, but I still can't figure out if/where this actually happens.

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of curiosity - how/ where do other schools see acceptances? Is there a central list? I keep hearing that all schools will know where Applicants get accepted, but I still can't figure out if/where this actually happens.
AAMC has the list. At minimum, medical schools will check the list to ensure that the applicant wants to be a doctor, rather than a medical student at X Med School. It's an "Are you pursuing medicine or chasing prestige?" kinda thing.

You realize that anyone has like a 2-5% chance at an acceptance to anyone school? Maybe a 10% chance for a II? passing up a 30-50% of being a doctor for those low odds is a questionable choice. The hooded statement is a HUGE assumption.

Bear in mind that for this amazing gap year activity to make a difference, you need to start it NOW because June will be here very, very soon and you'll want to apply ASAP.

Can you afford to go to this interview? If you can or if it's on Mom & Dad (and won't hardship them), then go, and then decide (quickly) if you would attend there if accepted. If you decide that you would rather take your chances, then withdraw quickly so you're not faced with the 'declined an acceptance' situation. Realize that you might really love this other school and that, with an interview, you've got a much better shot than as some generic applicant next year.

Depending on how fabulous this gap year gig is and on what compromised the success of your app this year -- well, who knows?

Don't decline your acceptance and reapply. it's a huge redflag, and it means so much more stress you'll want to scream. this process is way too stressful to throw away acceptances

Bear in mind that for this amazing gap year activity to make a difference, you need to start it NOW because June will be here very, very soon and you'll want to apply ASAP.

Can you afford to go to this interview? If you can or if it's on Mom & Dad (and won't hardship them), then go, and then decide (quickly) if you would attend there if accepted. If you decide that you would rather take your chances, then withdraw quickly so you're not faced with the 'declined an acceptance' situation. Realize that you might really love this other school and that, with an interview, you've got a much better shot than as some generic applicant next year.

Depending on how fabulous this gap year gig is and on what compromised the success of your app this year -- well, who knows?
That is exactly what I decided. I am going to attend the interview and see how I feel about the environment, than make a decision soon after. The price of the school OOS is one of the most expensive, so that is what is really holding me back. I don't know that that much money is worth a mediocre education. But then again, is any ranked medical school a mediocre education?

Just here to reiterate what everyone else is saying - denying an acceptance may as well be the final nail in your hypothetical medical career coffin.

Thank you everyone for your input. I am glad to now be more informed as to whether a declined acceptance will hurt me later.

P.S. Ross&Rachel > Monica&Chandler :happy:

That is exactly what I decided. I am going to attend the interview and see how I feel about the environment, than make a decision soon after. The price of the school OOS is one of the most expensive, so that is what is really holding me back. I don't know that that much money is worth a mediocre education. But then again, is any ranked medical school a mediocre education?

No US med school is a mediocre education. Every single one of them represents a chance (an excellent chance, actually) to become a licensed US physician, which is your actual end goal. Don't forget that. Finances are an important consideration, but if you're not fortunate enough to get a choice, they shouldn't make you forget your ultimate endpoint.

No US med school is a mediocre education. Every single one of them represents a chance (an excellent chance, actually) to become a licensed US physician, which is your actual end goal. Don't forget that. Finances are an important consideration, but if you're not fortunate enough to get a choice, they shouldn't make you forget your ultimate endpoint.

That is true. But I do not think a person should attend any medical school just to attend medical school. One should only attend if the focus and environment of the school matches one's goals and preferences, and if the school is a good fit.

That is true. But I do not think a person should attend any medical school just to attend medical school. One should only attend if the focus and environment of the school matches one's goals and preferences, and if the school is a good fit.

Eh. Your statement doesn't move me. I think you're overstating how much difference there actually is between schools. Different schools certainly do have different missions, and you should keep that in mind when you decide where to apply in the first place. But overall, MD education is actually pretty standardized. If you have the luxury of choosing, by all means take fit into account. If you don't have that luxury, but get in somewhere, you need to know that this process doesn't lend itself to being too picky over something so nebulous. If you only have one acceptance, and want to be a physician, you should absolutely attend that med school just to attend med school. (And if you really hate the place, you should withdraw post-interview pre-acceptance.)

Reactions: 3 users
Take the acceptance x1000. Doesn't really matter where you go to school as long as its a US MD program.

Confirmation bias? You think that getting in is easy because you just got accepted? A lot of applicants wouldn't get in if they didn't apply to a lot of schools. Other people that applied more broadly would get those spots instead.

And yes I know you just edited out your comment, but it was so stupid that I had to say something.