accepted to both md and do school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joshtb86

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was accepted to both a do school and an md school but im not 100% sure of where to go.. does anyone know about the real disadvantages for residency placing of do candidates?
i checked out the match list of the do school from last year.. no one was placed into any surgical residencies although there were a bunch of internship and transitional ones.. is it that much of an advantage for md students?

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you've identified something unique to DO programs that you like a lot and feel you must have, then complete the MD program. For whatever reason, MD's have an easier time matching into any residency but especially the competitive ones.

Unless you've identified something unique to DO programs that you like a lot and feel you must have, then complete the MD program. For whatever reason, MD's have an easier time matching into any residency but especially the competitive ones.
To answer the original question: MD, unless you have personal circumstances that would make DO more preferable(close to home, money etc.)
As for reasons on why DO may have harder time getting into competitive residencies--their numbers were less competitive while applying to medschool--DO schools do have lower requirements, no ifs and buts about it. I don't know much about DO philosophy but from what I've heard it places very strong emphasis on primary care--and primary care specialties aren't nearly as competitive as some others, so as long as you stick to their philosophy shouldn't have trouble getting a residency spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.