Accepted to KCU and LUCOM. Waitlisted at OU and OSU.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MagentaKarma

Medical Student (Accepted)
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am waitlisted to both of my in-state schools (OSU and OU (md school) and have been accepted to KCU and LUCOM. I am trying to decide at the moment between Liberty and Kansas City. I have a feeling most people will say pick KCU over LUCOM with no hesitations. The truth is that aside from costs of attendance, location, and medical philosophy (allopathic and osteopathic), both schools looked nicer than OSU and OU. I really don't know what to pick at this point and I wasn't particularly put off by Liberty's lack of reputation or Christian philosophy. I understand that KCU has been around for 100 years, is a well-established school, and the oldest school in the Midwest. It also offers the global health track and other honors tracks that the other schools do not have. I worry about the nature of the class. From my interview day, many students discussed how competitive their class is. They mentioned students sharing wrong answers on purpose on their Facebook page. That doesn't sound like an encouraging learning environment. I also am concerned by the class size. It's about double that of other medical schools. I wonder if that affects quality of education. Liberty has a similar grading system (A-F) like KCU and offers the student mentor program like KCU. I also like that because the school is new it is very focused on adapting and changing based on student suggestions and performance. Similarly, it gives students a platform to stand out and create their own organizations and clubs based on their interests. It seems more student driven. As a more introverted person, I think that environment might be more conducive for me and allow me to stand out and to explore my interests more rather than be overshadowed by more outgoing people. Additionally, the school did a lot of research on what works at other successful DO schools when designing their own school and curriculum. It seems like they have the best of the other schools minus the reputation. They have the excellent anatomy labs and clinical practice rooms. They also structured their curriculum so that their is more of a connection between what you learn in your clinical setting and your lectures. Both schools seem to have great things to offer. Does your school reputation affect your residency placement? What would your recommend? I have currently paid my deposit for LUCOM and have to submit background and medical information by March 1st. I have just recently been accepted to KCU and have started any of the matriculation process.

Members don't see this ad.

"I have currently paid my deposit for LUCOM and have to submit background and medical information by March 1st. I have just recently been accepted to KCU and have started any of the matriculation process."

Can you ask LUCOM for refund? (I know you can't, but try it anyway), KCU >>>>>>>>>>>> LUCOM in every aspect. LUCOM has to be the sh*ttiest DO school. Don't go there. Save yourself from hell.

Reactions: 7 users
"I have currently paid my deposit for LUCOM and have to submit background and medical information by March 1st. I have just recently been accepted to KCU and have started any of the matriculation process."

Can you ask LUCOM for refund? (I know you can't, but try it anyway), KCU >>>>>>>>>>>> LUCOM in every aspect. LUCOM has to be the sh*ttiest DO school. Don't go there. Save yourself from hell.
I wish I could. I'm pretty sure it is nonrefundable. It sucks that the state schools with the $100-$500 deposits are the schools I am waitlisted for while I have to pay $1000-$2000 to hold my spot at LUCOM and KCU.

Members don't see this ad :)
"Does your school reputation affect your residency placement? What would your recommend? I have currently paid my deposit for LUCOM and have to submit background and medical information by March 1st."

For DO schools I wouldn't say the reputation means much tbh outside of who has the bigger alumni base that may potential help you gain a connection to a program.

I'm really sorry to hear you were told that KCU has such an extreme competitive nature that they actually act like gunners which IMO has never ever happened. If you want to discuss what happened or if you need better explanation of whoever described the KCU class feel free to PM me!

Reactions: 1 users
I am at KCU and I love it. Feel free to PM

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
You're waitlisted at two state schools, so you're chances are pretty good at getting into at least one (I know OSU pulls heavily from the waitlist). Pay the deposit at the DO schools and keep hoping for the state schools to come through because the difference you would save in tuition is obscenely more than putting down two deposits for the others.

Forget LU, pay the deposit at KCU and wait and see what happens with your state schools.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 7 users
LUCOM has never matched a single class, passed a single board exam, and never proven that it is a good enough medical school. KCU has a record of 100 years and recognized as an established medical school in the eyes of PDs across the country. Do not shoot yourself in the foot and end up going to a significantly weaker school.

Reactions: 3 users
This is obvious. Even ignoring the reputation of Liberty and all that, KCU is established, has sent out plenty of successful physicians and has years of experience. LUCOM hasn't graduated a single class, hasn't sent a single class to clinicals, and hasn't even sent a class to a board exam.

Put down your KCU deposit, wave goodbye to that LUCOM money, and start doing the matriculation paperwork. If you get in to one of the MD schools, go to them and forget about KCU.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm going to echo what everyone else has said. Put your money down at KC. Act like LUCOM never happened. When you get pulled from the waitlist at OSU or OU go there. A school "looking nicer" is not a reason to give up in state tuition mi amigo.

KCU for sure. They have 3rd year rotations in Ohio. They stopped sending students to Columbus, OH, but they still have sites in Dayton and Cleveland and you'll be rotating with OU and OSU students.

Putting both the religious and political issues with LUCOM aside-- KCU is well-established, and LUCOM is not. KCU wins hands-down.

KCU for sure. They have 3rd year rotations in Ohio. They stopped sending students to Columbus, OH, but they still have sites in Dayton and Cleveland and you'll be rotating with OU and OSU students.
I think OP is refering to University of Oklahoma and to Oklahoma State, because she notes that OU is an MD program. If she were referring to Ohio then OU would be the DO school and OSU the MD school.

You make a good point though. KCU is much closer to Oklahoma than Virginia. The list of pros for KCU is decidedly longer than for LU.

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
If you go to Liberty over KCU because of the non-refundable $1000-2000 you have paid for a seat deposit (or really anything other reason), pardon my directness, but you are a fool. Even with in-state tuitions, you will end up paying >$100,000 for medical school. That $1000-2000 is a drop in the bucket. You also need to start thinking big picture here. There will be a point in the not so distant future where you will likely be making at least $1000/day working as a physician. While $1000-2000 seems like a lot of money now, it really isn't in the grand scheme of things.

You should not get caught up in the romantic idea of "shaping" or "pioneering" a new school (based on your statement about "standing out" and starting organizations). The job of med school is to get you to a residency, and KCU has a proven track record of doing that very very well. (And this is coming from faculty at an ACGME residency program.)

Reactions: 8 users
You're waitlisted at two state schools, so you're chances are pretty good at getting into at least one (I know OSU pulls heavily from the waitlist). Pay the deposit at the DO schools and keep hoping for the state schools to come through because the difference you would save in tuition is obscenely more than putting down two deposits for the others.
In addition to this OSU really likes waiting last minute to grab the majority of their waitlisters. 5 years back it was an extremely welcoming atmosphere, despite the location of the school. If you're interested in OSU I'd recommend not making any hard permanent plans until Mid June if you can hold off

Sent from my SM-G900V using SDN mobile

10000% agree.

If you go to Liberty over KCU because of the non-refundable $1000-2000 you have paid for a seat deposit (or really anything other reason), pardon my directness, but you are a fool. Even with in-state tuitions, you will end up paying >$100,000 for medical school. That $1000-2000 is a drop in the bucket. You also need to start thinking big picture here. There will be a point in the not so distant future where you will likely be making at least $1000/day working as a physician. While $1000-2000 seems like a lot of money now, it really isn't in the grand scheme of things.
I won't pick schools based on deposits I've paid.

Even if the LUCOM deposit was $10,000 I would still urge you to attend KCU instead

Reactions: 2 users
I worry about the nature of the class. From my interview day, many students discussed how competitive their class is. They mentioned students sharing wrong answers on purpose on their Facebook page. That doesn't sound like an encouraging learning environment. I also am concerned by the class size. It's about double that of other medical schools. I wonder if that affects quality of education.

I don't think I've ever seen someone purposefully post wrong answers. Fellow students have shared their outlines and they look pretty legit to me.

Yeah, the class size is a bit large.

Just be an informed consumer when you buy the product. USMLE Step 1 was ~224 and COMLEX was 529.23 w/ a ~95% pass rate c/o 2017 (previous years it was 98%). How many DO schools are in that range?

If you think LUCOM can help you pass boards just as well then go there.

I don't think I've ever seen someone purposefully post wrong answers. Fellow students have shared their outlines and they look pretty legit to me.

Yeah, the class size is a bit large.

Just be an informed consumer when you buy the product. USMLE Step 1 was ~224 and COMLEX was 529.23 w/ a ~95% pass rate c/o 2017 (previous years it was 98%). How many DO schools are in that range?

If you think LUCOM can help you pass boards just as well then go there.

Actually our class is very anti-gunner. We're very cohesive and we're very friendly. We don't try to tank or hurt our classmates to advance our educations. What we are is a collection of very very very smart and hard working people, some of which need to genuinely find a spa date or sleep time and lower the curve a bit for ( Though I can also say that their work ethic has really pushed us all to become better students too).

But no, the one thing I can never say anything bad about our class is how they act towards each other. KCU's pre-screening seems to really work for the better and it does create a class that is really good to be around.

Our USMLE score with 60% of the class taking it ( I'll argue this is generalizable to the entire class) last year got a 224. This is even before we cranked up the hard mode curriculum and I won't be surprised if our USMLE average next year is comparable to most public MD schools.

And hell, look at our match lists. We match almost half of our students into pretty good residencies in pretty good university based or affiliated programs even in traditionally harder fields like IM.

I won't pick schools based on deposits I've paid.

OP. SDN has a huge massive circle jerk hard on over KCU, but dear god, do not go to LUCOM. This is such an easy decision.

Reactions: 4 users
OP. SDN has a huge massive circle jerk hard on over KCU, but dear god, do not go to LUCOM. This is such an easy decision.

I mean, it's a good school. It has issues. But it overall it's a great place to go study.

I think SDN does love it a bit much. But no complaints I guess.

Every few years there's a new flavor. I remember when I joined PCOM was considered THE DO school to attend if you wanted a good education.

Now I see PCOM mentioned once in a while.

I think I am sold. Thanks.

How would you all compare Oklahoma State and KCU? I'm still waitlisted for OSU and OU. I think I still have a chance at OSU and since OU had 3 students with multiple acceptances last I heard, I have crossed OU essentially. Obviously tuition is almost half and I would be instate and closer to my family (1.5 hours) compared to KCU (5 hours away)

If you get accepted to OSU, go there. It's a great school and it has its own teaching hospital, which is a huge plus. KCU is a great school too, but when compared to an in-state school with a teaching hospital and cheaper tuition, it seems like a no-brainer.

Reactions: 3 users
Just fyi, kirksville is the oldest DO school in the midwest and period since it's the founding school. But, KCU is the clear winner here like others have mentioned. It's unclear if lucom is the worst DO school (wcu, lecom-b) but it's all uncertainty at this point whereas you know KCU is a good school.

How would you all compare Oklahoma State and KCU? I'm still waitlisted for OSU and OU. I think I still have a chance at OSU and since OU had 3 students with multiple acceptances last I heard, I have crossed OU essentially. Obviously tuition is almost half and I would be instate and closer to my family (1.5 hours) compared to KCU (5 hours away)

If accepted: OSU all the way. Cheaper, teaching hospital, decent research opportunities, and a good clinical faculty to mentor you in a large variety of specialties.

If you don't get accepted KCU is always a good school. Probably the best thing is being in a bigger city where the alumni base at the various medical centers (TMC, Childrens Mercy, KU Med Center) is apparent and gives you somewhat of a hometeam advantage in a variety of specialties (obv there's a lot that come into play outside of "knowing someone" but at the end of the day networking can help tremendously).

Best of luck with your decision!

If accepted: OSU all the way. Cheaper, teaching hospital, decent research opportunities, and a good clinical faculty to mentor you in a large variety of specialties.

If you don't get accepted KCU is always a good school. Probably the best thing is being in a bigger city where the alumni base at the various medical centers (TMC, Childrens Mercy, KU Med Center) is apparent and gives you somewhat of a hometeam advantage in a variety of specialties (obv there's a lot that come into play outside of "knowing someone" but at the end of the day networking can help tremendously).

Best of luck with your decision!

Our alumni base is a major pro. It's one of the best DO schools in the country.

Go to
I am waitlisted to both of my in-state schools (OSU and OU (md school) and have been accepted to KCU and LUCOM. I am trying to decide at the moment between Liberty and Kansas City. I have a feeling most people will say pick KCU over LUCOM with no hesitations. The truth is that aside from costs of attendance, location, and medical philosophy (allopathic and osteopathic), both schools looked nicer than OSU and OU. I really don't know what to pick at this point and I wasn't particularly put off by Liberty's lack of reputation or Christian philosophy. I understand that KCU has been around for 100 years, is a well-established school, and the oldest school in the Midwest. It also offers the global health track and other honors tracks that the other schools do not have. I worry about the nature of the class. From my interview day, many students discussed how competitive their class is. They mentioned students sharing wrong answers on purpose on their Facebook page. That doesn't sound like an encouraging learning environment. I also am concerned by the class size. It's about double that of other medical schools. I wonder if that affects quality of education. Liberty has a similar grading system (A-F) like KCU and offers the student mentor program like KCU. I also like that because the school is new it is very focused on adapting and changing based on student suggestions and performance. Similarly, it gives students a platform to stand out and create their own organizations and clubs based on their interests. It seems more student driven. As a more introverted person, I think that environment might be more conducive for me and allow me to stand out and to explore my interests more rather than be overshadowed by more outgoing people. Additionally, the school did a lot of research on what works at other successful DO schools when designing their own school and curriculum. It seems like they have the best of the other schools minus the reputation. They have the excellent anatomy labs and clinical practice rooms. They also structured their curriculum so that their is more of a connection between what you learn in your clinical setting and your lectures. Both schools seem to have great things to offer. Does your school reputation affect your residency placement? What would your recommend? I have currently paid my deposit for LUCOM and have to submit background and medical information by March 1st. I have just recently been accepted to KCU and have started any of the matriculation process.
KCU no questions asked. This is a no brainer IMO.

This also seems obvious. OSU, ignoring all else, because its half the tuition and closer to home. There is no real appreciable difference between KCU and OSU in the grand scheme of things. You may lose another deposit, but you'd still be saving tens of thousands every year.