Accepted. Update Adcoms At Other Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hydroxyurea

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
First off, I think a verbal acceptance is non-binding, and thus you have to wait for the Oct 15th date. Also, no I would definitely not contact other schools about it. Also, how did you get accepted without interview? Did you interview at that particular school last year?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am not trying to leverage this into something "better." I am extremely thankful for the opportunity and if I had to make a yes/no decision now, it would unequivocally be YES. I just want to see what else is out there before making a significant time, money and career commitment.

So then just calm your jets and let the interview season run its course without telling the other schools about it. You are in no rush to commit to this current school (as legally they can't force you to make a decision before the official deadline), so just see what happens.

Reactions: 2 users
The other schools may not take well to that information. It sounds like, "I got an offer of admission from from XYZ SOM, so shouldn't you send me an II, too?" It comes across this way in particular if XYZ is higher ranked than the school you are writing too. Most schools will say, "good luck to you, pick XYZ, we'll interview one of the other 3,000+ applicants in our queue.

If you do have other interviews, don't blow off any question about "if you didn't get into medical school, what would you choose as an alternative career?" This is a hypothetical question, not a chance to brag that you have an offer elsewhere. In the interviews, don't come across as arrogant because you have an offer. That is a huge turn-off for interviewers.

Reactions: 8 users
Along with what @LizzyM said, I feel like telling them you've been accepted somewhere else is a pretty easy way to let them know that they don't have any need to interview you.

They would only still feel a need to do so if you were a very competitive applicant, but you'd already have offers from them if that was the case. You have literally nothing to gain by letting the other schools know, but you could very easily limit your options. You don't know if you may end up liking one of those schools even more.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah I was going to say this is a troll thread but LizzyM didn't say anything...

Hi SDN.

I was recently (unofficially) accepted to an MD program for the 2015-2016 school year. This very well may be my top school, and I am overjoyed at the opportunity to attend.

What does it mean to be "unofficially" accepted to a medical school?

What does it mean to be "unofficially" accepted to a medical school?

Probably a verbal commitment from someone at the admissions office. On the one hand it wouldn't surprise me necessarily if this kind of thing occasionally goes on, but it sounds somewhat fishy.

Reactions: 1 users
Probably a verbal commitment from someone at the admissions office. On the one hand it wouldn't surprise me necessarily if this kind of thing occasionally goes on, but it sounds somewhat fishy.

+1

Yes

Edit: Just to make sure it's clear, I am not trying to leverage this into something "better." I am extremely thankful for the opportunity and if I had to make a yes/no decision now, it would unequivocally be YES. I just want to see what else is out there before making a significant time, money and career commitment.
I take it you're a re-app. I agree with others that you should wait until the end of this cycle to see what choices you'll have, but your post still confuses me. Don't you already "know what's out there?" Maybe you meant to write: "I want to know if others will accept me this time around too." But then again, why are you questioning those important details like time/money/career commitment if you're a re-app? Are you still not sure you want to go to med school?

@LizzyM

Is this kind of thing common? What's the point of the traffic rules if this sort of thing goes on?

I thought it was sketchy to have a verbal offer of admission at any time and, of course, written offers can't go out until Oct 15th but I decided to answer regardless of how odd it sounded because I don't know what off the wall things some random school might be doing.

I prefer our pros' answers instead of mine.

Last edited:
Hi SDN.

I was recently (unofficially) accepted to an MD program for the 2015-2016 school year. This very well may be my top school, and I am overjoyed at the opportunity to attend. I nearly cried from happiness when I got the call. However, I would still like the chance to interview at a few other institutions, just to make sure I am making the right choice with this decision that will strongly influence the next 4+ years of my life.
I am unaware of any such acceptance practice. You may have been given a deferred acceptance, but those are official and usually have, as a condition of deferment, a non-reapplication clause. You might just want to double check with your school to make sure. If you apply with a deferred acceptance it will show up on AMCAS reports to other schools and set off a string of questions from them.

I was recently (unofficially) accepted to an MD program for the 2015-2016 school year. This very well may be my top school, and I am overjoyed at the opportunity to attend. I nearly cried from happiness when I got the call.
Are you sure one of your "friends" didn't make a fake acceptance phone call?

Reactions: 4 users