Accepted vs Matriculated Data

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A7X

Black Card Member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know the MSAR shows matriculated and USNews shows accepted, but which one do you feel is a better indicator of the school?

Members don't see this ad.

I know the MSAR shows matriculated and USNews shows accepted, but which one do you feel is a better indicator of the school?

A better indicator of what?

your question doesn't make sense. try again

Members don't see this ad :)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think OP is asking this: is the average GPA/MCAT of the matriculating class more accurate, or the GPA/MCAT of the accepted students.

Accepted stats are usually a bit higher than that of the matriculated stats, but I'm not sure which one to go by either. For example, one of my state schools has MSAR data of 3.77 and 32 as the GPA/MCAT median, while on their website, it says the average is 3.6 and 29. Huge difference if you ask me. I think this is a popular question.

Edit: I thought MSAR should accepted, and US News should matriculated? (I think you have it backwards)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think OP is asking this: is the average GPA/MCAT of the matriculating class more accurate, or the GPA/MCAT of the accepted students.

Accepted stats are usually a bit higher than that of the matriculated stats, but I'm not sure which one to go by either. For example, one of my state schools has MSAR data of 3.77 and 32 as the GPA/MCAT median, while on their website, it says the average is 3.6 and 29. Huge difference if you ask me. I think this is a popular question.

In my experience the MSAR was a better indicator of competitiveness, but that is only me personally.

Matriculated is all that matters. Someone with a 40 MCAT will be accepted at 10 schools and all those schools will use that persons data which means nothing. If you accept 100 people with 37+ MCAT's and they all reject it and you end up matriculating MCAT's around 29 year after year, it doesn't matter who you accepted initially. Most people are smart enough to know which schools to apply to so this doesn't happen usually and the point difference is usually only 2 or 3 between accepted and matriculated. If it were up to me, accepted info would be banned from being published because it is only used to inflate stats. Some schools fill half or more of their class from their waitlist.

Edit: I thought MSAR should accepted, and US News should matriculated? (I think you have it backwards)

Wait so US news is accepted not matriculated stats?

Correction: MSAR shows accepted data, not matriculated.

I still have no idea what you're trying to ask...

It's a pretty simple question. Are accepted statistics or matriculated statistics more representative of a school's actual population.

And the answer is of course matriculated.

It's a pretty simple question. Are accepted statistics or matriculated statistics more representative of a school's actual population.

And the answer is of course matriculated.

lol... I don't think a question that contains the answer is an obvious one (i.e. I automatically assume whoever asked the question didn't phrase it the way they intended to).

Unless the OP didn't know the definition of "matriculate." I guess that would make sense.

If you are trying to get a better idea of the stats that students at the medical school had when they were accepted, use US News (matriculant stats).

If you are trying to formulate a list of schools to apply to and you want to see where you will be more likely to be accepted, use MSAR (stats of accepted students).

I hope that answers your question.

is the average GPA/MCAT of the matriculating class more accurate, or the GPA/MCAT of the accepted students.

This is what I meant. My question was phrased terribly.

lol... I don't think a question that contains the answer is an obvious one (i.e. I automatically assume whoever asked the question didn't phrase it the way they intended to).

Unless the OP didn't know the definition of "matriculate." I guess that would make sense.

Dude, someone once asked me why a chicken crossed a road. There is no limit to the things people will ask.

If you are trying to get a better idea of the stats that students at the medical school had when they were accepted, use US News (matriculant stats).

If you are trying to formulate a list of schools to apply to and you want to see where you will be more likely to be accepted, use MSAR (stats of accepted students).

I hope that answers your question.
+1

And I will add:

If you are trying to formulate a list of schools where you have a good chance of being invited for interview, use MSAR (stats of accepted applicants).

Last edited:
MSAR shows GPA/MCAT ranges for accepted applicants, and matriculation data broken down IS/OOS, but not by aforementioned stats.