Accepted- What now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kreezy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have heard from one school, and waiting on 5 others. Talked to dept head at the school and they said I have until March 14th to reserve my spot. When I said that I am waiting on results from an instate program, she told me she could already offer me a partial scholarship (25%) if I sign up quickly. Need some advice on what to do next.

Can I make a counter offer? Such as, "if you do %50 of my tuition, I will send my check today." Is this inappropriate?

What do I do with the schools that I might not hear from until March 14th? USC and NYU sound like they won't be notifying applicants until late March. If I don't reserve my spot, and I don't get in to other schools, am I SOL? It is a non-refundable $200 to reserve, which I wouldn't be devastated if I lost it.

Has anyone out there heard from the following schools yet? Colo State, Puget Sound, Tufts, NYU, or USC?

Thank you for your time and help. Also, congratulations to all that have gotten into programs.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello.

I do think that it is in appropriate for you to try a "counter offer". These institutions have so many applicants that are praying to get accepted WITHOUT a 25% scholarship they will definitely turn that idea down. If the $200 is not a big deal for you then save your spot, it is just a small sacrifice you have to make to ensure that you have a spot somewhere no matter what.

I have saved my spot at several schools just because I am unsure of where I want to live, but as soon as I hear from my first choice school I will call and let the other ones know. Hope this helps.

I completely agree. I think you need to weigh the cost of the fee to save your spot to the chance or not getting into the other schools. Sometimes you can call the schools you are waiting on to see if you can get an update on your status or ask for an extension to their deadline for the school that you received acceptance from.

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you for the advice. I figure $200 isn't that big of a risk consider the amount we are paying for these programs. Just drives me crazy how all of these schools processes and deadlines are so different.

I can definitely empathize with your situation right now. I am also waiting on NYU, USC, Colo State, Wisconsin, and UNM. I am accepted at Columbia and SJSU. Columbia wants a $400 deposit (if paid by March 1) or $500 by March 8. Colo State should be sending out acceptances the first week of March, but we probably won't be hearing from NYU or USC until late March. I interviewed at UNM last weekend, but they aren't sending out acceptances until the 2nd week of March.

It's stressful but at least I know I will be somewhere next year!

This is a great post!!! Please clarify this for me. So what all of you are saying, we can accept an offer, put the deposit down, and then pull back our acceptance later with no consequences other than losing our deposit???

I'm afraid that if schools find out I put a deposit on more than one school, they will rescind their offer.

I wanted to send in a deposit and save my spot, but I didn't know you could later, especially when school is about to start, say "sorry, i changed my mind! see ya!"

Also, Kreezy, did you find out you got a scholarship only after you told them you were waiting for other schools? Because that's pretty awesome! How did you word it exactly, I want to know if I can try to get a scholarship from Columbia that way. ANyone?