Accepted with Missing Pre-Req?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlistexWorks

Sophomore Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just accepted to Oregon State (OOS) but I went on their website to double-check the required courses and they list "Animal/human physiology" as a pre-req. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkk. I would have loved to go there but I never took that course! Any history of people getting a pass on such a course. I guess it would not hurt to ask them in an email or a friendly phone call, but I suspect it's not something they would slide. Anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

I would think that it depends on the University and the course. Now I can't say I've been accepted but LSU allowed me to continue on in the application process even though I didn't have a BIO 2 class after talking to them on the phone. While MSU would not accept the genetics courses that I had taken. I would have to say it depends. But once again I wasn't accepted at LSU, I am an alternate though....so I don't think it affected my application much.

I would definitely contact the school. They may be expecting that you will have this course completed before you matriculate. It would be awful to plan to attend, and then find out right before classes begin that you've been kicked out of the class because you didn't take that last pre-req.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is worth asking but usually vet schools are not very flexible on pre-reqs! Sorry, wish I could have been more helpful.

Yeah, definitely call and ask. Is there a way to take it over the summer?

I think the only cases I've heard of a lack of prereqs being ignored were a. if courses taken afterwards demonstrated knowledge you would have gained from it (a lot of advanced courses instead of the traditional intro course that most people use to count) or b. courses that were comparable in what they wanted you to learn/demonstrate (e.g. taking biometry instead of mathematical statistics, literature courses through foreign language departments instead of English, etc.)

I interviewed at Oregon as an IS applicant. Kristen Carnohan talked with all the interviewees about the status of their prereq's. They are very strict about them. They require a "course sequence" in biology, and because I don't have a true sequence (was passed out of it at my undergrad as a freshman), I have to take an intro bio course this spring if I am accepted. Definitely contact Kristin...I agree with others, it would be awful to find out before classes begin that you won't be allowed to attend. You can always take a phys course this spring.

I found out at my Tennessee interview that I was missing Cell Bio. I was allowed to take it over the summer before I matriculated. Call them and find out if you can do that.

I was accepted to kansas state (didn't go there) and i didn't have the microbiology requirement. They told me that they would use my micro work experience (worked in a lab after graduation), and to not worry about it. They might be giving you a pass on it, or they could be using another class you took to satisfy that requirement. I would definitely call and check though, you don't want to show up in fall and not be allowed in the door :)

Got accepted at NC State and I am taking right now two Economy Courses.

BlistexWorks, if you don't mind my asking, did you receive a letter in the mail, or an email?

If you do find that you need to take a physio class you could check out the online one through the UC Berkeley Extension School. I'm currently taking it and while it isn't fantastic it is pretty easy and you could easily get it done by Oregon State's July 1st deadline if you needed to. I'm hoping to hear from them soon as an IS resident, and then I just might find myself taking animal nutrition this summer.

I'm in a similar situation. Received an accepatence letter, but was told I am missing speech. I've already taken a speech class, but apparently the course numbers aren't equivalent. I'm trying not to freak out too much, but I plan on calling the school and negotiating. Or scrambling to get in to an 8 week course.

I am finishing Animal Nutrition for NCSU right now. I keep reminding myself that I still want to keep the undergrad GPA decent, so I need to not crash the A I have now.