Accepting a VSAS rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tripwm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background: I am pursuing urology, and I expect to do 1 home-July, 2 aways (August/September). Through a personal connection, I've locked down a slot in September. (Urology rotations will take anywhere from 1-5 depending on the school, sometimes more.)

For my August rotation, I applied to 3 programs recommended to me by attendings/residents, and I was planning on applying to 1-2 more. All were suppose to 'process my application' on May 15 per VSAS. However, I was already accepted to 1 on them ~2 weeks ago. The problem is that I have to accept or decline the VSAS position prior to hearing from any of my other schools. This school was probably #4 on a list of 5.

My school recommends I accept the position, and if I get accepted at a rotation that I desire more, to cancel the rotation citing 'scheduling conflicts'. Anyone with knowledge about this?

Members don't see this ad.

OP- I'm in a similar situation. I have 5 days to accept or decline an offer at a school that is great, but not my absolute top choice for an away. An administrator at my school said that if a student accepts the away and then withdraw later, the PD of the school will likely know about it, and it may effect their chances of receiving a residency interview at this institution.

Do you want to apply to this school for residency? If so, I might be careful, however this is only ONE administrator's advice.

I was wondering if anyone else has input on this?? Do schools really care if you withdraw after you accept the away?

Originally posted to the wrong thread:

OP it's a tough choice! Bird in the hand vs 2 in the bush kind of thing. Do you have any communication with the other programs? E.g. when will they announce their rotations? Can you string this program along?

Sorry I'm not very helpful. We neither participate in VSAS, nor did I have to go through that horse-&&&& as a med student.

I hate to say it, but this is the reason most people don't recommend over-applying to away rotations. In general, they're not very hard to get, and some have speculated that even applying and then not accepting a spot can hurt your chances at certain programs.

I would suggest calling the program you are most interested in and seeing of they can preliminarily confirm a spot for you (many places will do this). If not, I would probably decline the rotation at the less desirable place, but ultimately you are the one who needs to weigh the risks and benefits and come to a decision.