Accepting failure and moving on.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CynicalFailure

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i spent 3 years at a university in States and had a very crappy gpa of less than 3.0. I wasn't happy there and I was looking to transfer out. I got an opportunity to transfer to another university under the delusion that I could start fresh again and hopefully improve my grades.

It was the biggest mistake of my life.

I came to my new university and instead of prioritizing my studies like I should have, I spent my years partying, doing other stupid things to my health, and not really caring about school. I regret my decision and realize that I should have made better choices. Its too late now. My grades are terrible. Ive been put on academic probation twice. My transcript is riddled with Ds, Fs, and Cs. I realize that I've pretty much killed my chances of being successful because I was a young immature **** that didn't really think about the long term consequences of my actions.

Its hard for me to not hate myself and its hard for me to forgive myself for my mistakes because I know that I voluntarily put myself in this situation. I hate it, its like a fire thats eating me from the inside.

I know I can't be a doctor anymore. Im just struggling to accept the fact that I am both an academic and a social failure because of my own choices. It hurts so much and I just want to find a way to move on.

Members don't see this ad.

Once you've hit the bottom, the only way you can go is up.

MD is not your only option if you wish to pursue a career in healthcare. There are many other options that you can perhaps get into if you do not have an ideal GPA.

Kicking yourself and wallowing in self pity won't do much. Instead, use these emotions to provide fuel to your fire of success.

And, as always:

So i spent 3 years at a university in States and had a very crappy gpa of less than 3.0. I wasn't happy there and I was looking to transfer out. I got an opportunity to transfer to another university under the delusion that I could start fresh again and hopefully improve my grades.

I came to my new university and instead of prioritizing my studies like I should have, I spent my years partying, doing other stupid things to my health, and not really caring about school. I regret my decision and realize that I should have made better choices. Its too late now. My grades are terrible. Ive been put on academic probation twice. My transcript is riddled with Ds, Fs, and Cs. I realize that I've pretty much killed my chances of being successful because I was a young immature **** that didn't really think about the long term consequences of my actions.

Its hard for me to not hate myself and its hard for me to forgive myself for my mistakes because I know that I voluntarily put myself in this situation. I hate it, its like a fire thats eating me from the inside.

I know I can't be a doctor anymore. Im just struggling to accept the fact that I am both an academic and a social failure because of my own choices. It hurts so much and I just want to find a way to move on.
If it makes you feel any better.. There were tons of other kids your age who were mature enough to think about their long term consequences

Members don't see this ad :)
MD is not your only option if you wish to pursue a career in healthcare. There are many other options that you can perhaps get into if you do not have an ideal GPA.

Thank you for that Monty Python clip. Never fails no matter how crappy you feel.

Im a realist, and the truth is that reality sucks. You can sugarcoat it whatever way you would like, but that is essentially the way the world works.

What other alternatives are there for a guy with my crap grades? I can't go into research, I can't do grad school. But hey your right, there are other options in healthcare, like being a janitor I suppose.

If it makes you feel any better.. There were tons of other kids your age who were mature enough to think about their long term consequences

Thanks man. Thats some very useful info right there. Thank you so much. Just curious though, does everyone become a prick once they're in med school or is it just you?

Reactions: 4 users
Post-Bacc with high GPA, solid MCAT performance, and build your ECs. You really willing to give up on your dreams so easily. Opportunity will always exist, you just have to be willing to work for it.

Getting into a Carribean medical school is very doable even with low numbers; I'm not reccomending it but you have options

Thank you for that Monty Python clip. Never fails no matter how crappy you feel.

Im a realist, and the truth is that reality sucks. You can sugarcoat it whatever way you would like, but that is essentially the way the world works.

What other alternatives are there for a guy with my crap grades? I can't go into research, I can't do grad school. But hey your right, there are other options in healthcare, like being a janitor I suppose.

Thanks man. Thats some very useful info right there. Thank you so much.
Consider going back for your CNA or perhaps RN? Not everything is out of the picture just yet. But if you don't approach it with a can-do attitude, you aren't likely to see results. Consider your GPA a scarlet letter. It's there. People notice it. But do not let it define you. Shine where you can. Show that you are beyond a simple number. Hester Prynne made a life for herself. You can too.

Reactions: 1 user
Also consider PA, or Podiatry.

OR, work a few years, and save up some money. Then go back to school in a post-bac or SMP. Retake all F/D/C science coureswork. Plenty of schools reward reinvention.

Consider going back for your CNA or perhaps RN? Not everything is out of the picture just yet. But if you don't approach it with a can-do attitude, you aren't likely to see results. Consider your GPA a scarlet letter. It's there. People notice it. But do not let it define you. Shine where you can. Show that you are beyond a simple number. Hester Prynne made a life for herself. You can too.

Reactions: 2 users
Post-Bacc with high GPA, solid MCAT performance, and build your ECs. You really willing to give up on your dreams so easily. Opportunity will always exist, you just have to be willing to work for it.

Getting into a Carribean medical school is very doable even with low numbers; I'm not reccomending it but you have options

That was uncalled for....

Anyway, OP, you should retake those courses that you did badly in and apply DO. Maybe further down the line you will be able to do a post-bac of some sort. Demolish the MCAT, get some good EC's in, and surely someday this will all be a blemish that you were able to overcome.

Wow wasn't expecting this much positivity. I was pretty much expecting "you'll never be a doctor" type responses, but hey I'm not complaining.

Caribbean would seem like the best option after I work my ass off retaking everything/killing the MCAT/working for a while. DO (specifically NYCOM) is like a dream because as I said before, I have SEVERAL Fs Ds and Cs on my transcript, and while they do reward reinvention there must be a limit for DO schools. Why should they choose the guy who had to retake all those classes when there are plenty of people who didn't screw up?

But I guess you guys are right. There isn't a point in wallowing in my guilt or in my failures. Ive spent enough time being stupid and irresponsible with my life so maybe being responsible for a change wouldn't be such a bad idea.

This post proves that being a medical student and showing maturity has less correlation than we think.

But I guess you guys are right. There isn't a point in wallowing in my guilt or in my failures. Ive spent enough time being stupid and irresponsible with my life so maybe being responsible for a change wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Now this shows maturity.

Just realize that the DO option is still there, and there exists plenty of other options if becoming a physician still is unfeasible.

Your plan, assuming you actually are serious:

1. Tackle your academic issues. This is absolute priority number one. Was it just the partying that was a distraction? How are you studying? Do you work better in groups or on your own? Etc

2. Retake ALL C,D,F coursework. Yes, this will take awhile, and it will suck, having seen the material and everything before. But you need to ACE THEM.

3. Take the MCAT and score >30. Yes, a whole page be written just about this part, but, point is, you need to rock the MCAT

4. Apply strictly DO

PM me if you have any questions, I'm happy to try and help you out.

If it makes you feel any better.. There are tons of other kids your age who aren't mature enough to think about their long term consequences even after the 3.0 . . . who won't start thinking about it for 10 more years when they're stuck in awful, dead-end jobs that aren't careers and are struggling to figure out how to have a family without that. You are actually a step ahead of many young Americans your age (I know it's hard to see it when you're someplace like SDN).

There are people who start med school well after their 20s. Good performance in respectable employment + grade replacement in night/weekend courses will go a long way to make you competitive for DO. Go read some of the threads on the non-trad forum and you'll find successful applicants who were in your shoes. I've even had several physician instructors who went back to school in their 30s or 40s for medicine because they "had too much fun" in college.

If it looks like grade replacement won't work out after a wholehearted try, if you aren't interested in being a midlevel, there are so many other allied health niches you can explore (OT, PT, ST, RT, Audiology, etc.).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just out of curiosity, how did you end up being a social failure from partying too much?

I'm going to bet chillywilly had a typo and meant "weren't" instead of were...the post makes far more sense that way

1. Tackle your academic issues. This is absolute priority number one. Was it just the partying that was a distraction? How are you studying? Do you work better in groups or on your own? Etc

2. Retake ALL C,D,F coursework. Yes, this will take awhile, and it will suck, having seen the material and everything before. But you need to ACE THEM.

3. Take the MCAT and score >30. Yes, a whole page be written just about this part, but, point is, you need to rock the MCAT

4. Apply strictly DO

Do this, 100%. Here's a thread with study habits that tend to get people 30+ scores:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/30-mcat-study-habits-the-cbt-version.503250/

Also, bookmark this video and watch it whenever you feel like quitting:

DO (specifically NYCOM) is like a dream because as I said before, I have SEVERAL Fs Ds and Cs on my transcript, and while they do reward reinvention there must be a limit for DO schools. Why should they choose the guy who had to retake all those classes when there are plenty of people who didn't screw up?

I graduated with a 2.5sGPA/2.8cGPA, retook 9 courses (as well as a bunch of new ones) and I was accepted to a DO school. The key is to show that you've changed.

Wow wasn't expecting this much positivity. I was pretty much expecting "you'll never be a doctor" type responses, but hey I'm not complaining.

Caribbean would seem like the best option after I work my ass off retaking everything/killing the MCAT/working for a while. DO (specifically NYCOM) is like a dream because as I said before, I have SEVERAL Fs Ds and Cs on my transcript, and while they do reward reinvention there must be a limit for DO schools. Why should they choose the guy who had to retake all those classes when there are plenty of people who didn't screw up?

Why? Because medicine needs diversity, and we know MD rarely gives people like you a fair shot with a second chance. Someone like you who understands failure to that point and then turning their life around is inspirational to patients and students. If you really believe in yourself, reinvent yourself and get into DO school.

Getting into a Carribean medical school is very doable even with low numbers with check/credit card/cash; I'm not reccomending it but you have options

Fixed it for ya.

Being a physician isn't out of your reach really, but you have a long road ahead of you. Going back and getting your RN and putting in some years with that would get you on the right track along with taking coursework while doing it. I'd say though you're a solid 7 years away from being a decent med school applicant because you have to show you've grown from your immaturity and you also need some app building and repairing.

You can definitely change! Don't give up on your self. I was in a similar situation with many C's and D's. With the help of this forum and new study habits, I have completely changed my academic record and so can you!

4. Apply strictly DO

Fixed it for ya.

You think SGU and Ross too? Not sure.. I would hope they would be slightly selective, absolutely no idea though

I'd take a break from school. Go work some dead end jobs for a couple of years.